It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano erupts more than 50 times in one day: Indonesia danger zone extended

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Authorities have extended a danger zone around a rumbling volcano in western Indonesia after it spewed blistering gas farther than expected.

National Mitigation Agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho says more than 50 eruptions on Saturday sent lava and searing gas tumbling out of Mount Sinabung in North Sumatra province down the southeastern slopes up to 5 kilometers (3 miles) away.

He said the volcano's danger zone to the southeast was extended from five to seven kilometers (three to four miles) after the new eruption.

It was still spitting clouds of gas and lava as high as 4,000 meters (13,000 feet) on Sunday, but no casualties were reported.

www.emirates247.com...

The volcano has been erupting since Sept., but this past Sat. it spewed about 50 times and over 20,000 people had to be evacuated that live near the crater

edit on 6-1-2014 by snarky412 because: add video

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Yes, a lot is about to unfold very rapidly.

This was all covered in my short story entry.

I hope you are all ready.

God be with you.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
*UPDATE*

Looks as though this baby isn't done yet.....

More violent: Indonesia’s Sinabung Volcano erupts 77 times in 24 hours

January 6, 2014 – INDONESIA – A volcano on Indonesia’s Sumatra Island erupted at least 77 times over the weekend, sending clouds of potentially deadly superheated gas barreling down the mountain and forcing the evacuation of more villages in the highly populated area. Mount Sinabung has displaced nearly 20,000 people from their homes since sporadic eruptions began in September. Experts have placed it under the highest alert status among the 127 active volcanoes in Indonesia, which is home to more active volcanoes than any other country and has some of the world’s most lethal volcanic activity

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Because of this thread I've activated my automatic time lapse add-on and got me this sequence for today. Unfortunately the webcam I took this from is now gone. It might come back, I might find another good one, but for now this is what I got.

Looks active.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Wow, I haven't seen this anywhere on the news. Incredible power, that timelapse really shows how active that thing is!

I've never heard of that many eruptions in such little time either.

Hopefully everyone managed to be evacuated in time.

top topics

join