It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New and intriguing series - The Curse of Oak Island

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I just had to post up about this new series. It looks like some folks are dumping some serious money into the mystery of Oak Island. I had often wondered why it has taken so long for new technologies to be applied to the incredibly strange place.

Here is the Wiki about The Money Pit.

Oak Island is a 57-hectare (140-acre) island in Lunenburg County on the south shore of Nova Scotia, Canada. The tree-covered island is one of about 360 small islands in Mahone Bay and rises to a maximum of 11 meters (35 ft) above sea level. Located 200 metres from shore and connected to the mainland by a modern causeway, the island is privately owned. Oak Island is noted as the location of the so-called Money Pit and the site of over 200 years of treasure hunting.[1] Repeated excavations have reported layers of apparently man-made artifacts as deep as 31 metres (102 ft), but ended in collapsed excavations and flooding. Critics argue that there is no treasure and that the pit is a natural phenomenon, likely a sinkhole.

I hope they find something amazing! The effort gone into hiding whatever it is leaves me full of wonderment and also undeniably proves that there is something very interesting there. Whether they find it is anyone guess.

It is on the History Channel. Here is the web link. www.history.com...

edit on 5-1-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Yeppers. DVRed it. Watching it now.

I dont do commercials.

Im pumped for this series!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
When I first went to that link and watched the preview, I thought that guy on the left was Dustin Hoffman.

I always enjoyed the legend behind Oak Island. Very interesting stuff. It is increasingly frustrating with how everyone who goes digging there comes up empty handed, however.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Thank you for the heads up.

The ingeniously engineered money pit on Oak Island has intrigued me for many years. If they have to have a TV show to finance some answers, so be it.

Who made it and what is buried there? The scale of the endeavor, time period and placement in the new world doesn't really compute. I'm burning with curiosity.

Renee' Le Chateau also intrigued me back when, though an old gold laden tomb answers most of the questions there.

A large scale, pre-19th century (at least) endeavor in Nova Scotia where an almost hundred foot shaft with radiating covered canals incorporating palm leaves from the tropics was built while somehow silencing the work force so no whisper was heard of it just doesn't have easy answers.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This was one of my first rabbit holes
Was really excited when i saw that i was making another round on TV. I want to say there is another 1 hour history channel doc on it. I swear that's where i first heard about oak island. I don't like that they are doing a series though, why not a 2 hour documentary? I liked the first one, was more of an info load it seemed. Learned a couple tid bits i didn't know. Now the long wait for the next one

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

HUGE THANKS for this heads up!! I love this mystery!!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Ghost147
When I first went to that link and watched the preview, I thought that guy on the left was Dustin Hoffman.

I always enjoyed the legend behind Oak Island. Very interesting stuff. It is increasingly frustrating with how everyone who goes digging there comes up empty handed, however.

Seriously??? That isn't Dustin Hoffman???
Holy Doppelganger!!!
WOQ

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I saw a show a while back about Oak Island.
Don't remember where, but it was the first I'd heard of it!
I wanted to know more about it too.

Wish they had started digging way out on the perimeter & worked their way in!
Who knows how much damage they've done!
The genius in the way it is set up is really intriguing!
How anyone could even think that it is just a sinkhole....!!!???

I had forgotten that this was starting already!
Thanks for the heads up!
WOQ

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I'm certainly interested to see if anything is/has-been found beyond the intriguing bits already reported.

Considering this is a series, I'm wondering what the time lag is on when episodes are airing vs. when the events portrayed have occurred vs. site security in keeping anyone and everyone involved from not talking about any developments.

I would suspect when/if anything of interest is found, it'll hit finge news sites before release of any episode depicting it.

Anyway ... to torrenting this I go.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I caught it too, quite by accident. I remember seeing something about the island some time ago and it was fascinating so I'm excited to see this series. Seems like the brothers are prepared to dump the money into the right equipment and have really studied the history so I'm geeked to see what comes of it all.... not to mention it's a jem among a load of crap on the tube these days. And they're Michigan boys so I've gotta' root for them too.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Personally, I'd weigh more validity on the probability of the following existing...a CRAP load of valuables went poof....

Yama#a's gold, also referred to as the Yama#a treasure, is the name given to the alleged war loot stolen in Southeast Asia by Japanese forces during World War II and hidden in caves, tunnels and underground complexes in the Philippines. It is named for the Japanese general Tomoyuki Yama#a, nicknamed "The Tiger of Malaya". Though accounts that the treasure remains hidden in Philippines have lured treasure hunters from around the world for over fifty years, its existence is dismissed by most experts.[1][2] The rumored treasure has been the subject of a complex lawsuit that was filed in a Hawaiian state court in 1988 involving a Filipino treasure hunter, Rogelio Roxas, and the former Philippine president, Ferdinand Marcos.[3]

Yama#a's Gold

Check out Neil Stephenson's Cryptonimocon...a long, but FASCINATING read....

*EDIT - Apparently, the automatic censors are filtering a certain bit of fecal matter out of Yama#a's name....go ahead, think about it

edit on 6-1-2014 by zeroBelief because: doody happens...monkey's throw it...I've stepped in it....

edit on 6-1-2014 by zeroBelief because: Dang nabbit, apparently Stephen had a SON...

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Watched this last night and liked it.

I've read all the stuff about the island over the years and I am glad to see someone finally turning back around to this mystery and applying some modern tech and principles to getting to the bottom of it (hah hah hah - don't worry I am keeping my day job).

Anyway, I did find the whole 'camera footage incident' frustrating. They all laughed and chalked it up to the Oak Island Curse. It really just seems suspicious to me. Really? Really!?

So they couldn't TELL us what was lost. I suspect the actually camera documenting everything saw those video monitors as well, but we didn't see that footage, did it mysteriously fail too?

Anyway, that bit seems pretty suspicious to me at least.

I've always wondered why no one went looking for the trap vents and ever tried to seal them off so they could THEN pump the water out. Surely they could use ground penetrating radar to find the trap tunnels and either seal them where they are nearest to the top of the island or where they open in the water.

The sediment tank thing is pretty cool. I'm getting the whole Geraldo Rivera and Al Capone's Vault Vibe though. Still, it's all pretty cool. I wonder if they will mention the alternate translation and the Birch Island connection in one of the history tidbits they intersperse though the show.

All in all though, it's still worth taking a gander at.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Thanatos0042

The film thing made me really wonder the legitimacy of this series too. Supposedly they found something sooo great but when its deleted out of no where its just the "curse" what can you do about it? Still gonna watch the show to see how far they go.
Also, if they found any thing crazy at the bottom, the series has already been filmed to completion, should't we be albe to look up what happened

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Sremmos80

Everyone is being very closed mouth about the series, despite it being filmed to completion. Those NDA's seem to be working for the moment.

And exactly! if they found something crazy cool...why no other mention of it at all? Especially since they were telling the original digger of x-10 about 'wait till you see the top of this thing' and...dropped. Really??

As an IT guy...that whole...all the 8 video files you can see on the laptop window...none work? no one noticed it when they were copying over the files from the camera? or maybe they were copied directly from the camera to the laptop...and no one noticed they were bad files? eh...give me a break, that's fishy. I'd have that camera and company out there re-doing the camera dive again due to failure with their equipment and not delivering on what I paid for.

But yeah, still gonna watch it because, despite that it of suspicious stuff, the rest was pretty interesting.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Thanatos0042

Ya i get the NDA aspect of it, them making it a series not a one big show just discourages me a lot
I think the series aspect was a back up plan to make back the money they spent if nothing huge is discovered. Keeping my hopes up though

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The reason for the mystery as to what was found is really quite simple. Good TV! Having done a fair bit of work for a few different shows over the years there is one thing that remains a constant in Hollywood. Everything is scripted. Had they found the treasure the first day they would hide it until the series was about to end. It is the nature of TV.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

That is a very good point about scripted TV. Still, it seems kind of out of place they dropped all that footage so abruptly. Hopefully we'll somehow make our way back around to it or once it's all aired, we might get more information about what really happened there.

reply to post by Sremmos80

You make a pretty good point about it being a series to recoup costs if there wasn't a big discovery. I'd rather it be a 2 hour special or something too, but I don't mind the journey of the series really. I wouldn't mind seeing how much information they have available that ISN'T published on the Internet.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

You make a pretty good point about it being a series to recoup costs if there wasn't a big discovery. I'd rather it be a 2 hour special or something too, but I don't mind the journey of the series really. I wouldn't mind seeing how much information they have available that ISN'T published on the Internet.

Close, It was sold to History Channel to help fund the search. They players involved are business savy as heck. I am certain they are spending more money than the show is going to pay them and there is no doubt in my mind in their quest.

edit on 6-1-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Well I don't doubt they are spending more than they will get back...but they are also getting other things...15 minutes of fame doing this...probably residuals...definitely footnotes in the history of the mystery...who knows how that will ultimately work out for them.

And...maybe they found something lol

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I have followed the "Money Pit" for quite some time.

Its construction is so very clever...

A big part of me hopes its one of the biggest trolls in human history, and that there is nothing whatsoever buried or hidden there.

I would get a pretty big kick out of that!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join