It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BitTorrent Sync 7 Times Faster Than Dropbox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I just found out about this great new free tool so i though id share it

BitTorrent Sync is a relatively new tool that allows users to securely sync folders across multiple devices using the BitTorrent protocol.

In terms of functionality it’s comparable to most cloud-based sync tools such as Dropbox, except for the fact that there’s no cloud involved.

Users simply share their files across their own devices, or the devices of people they invite to their private folders.

Combine the above with no limit on file-sizes or bandwidth and the recipe for success is complete.

Today BitTorrent Inc. announces that the number of Sync users doubled over the past month, from 1 to 2 million. In addition, the company claims that its application is 7 times faster than the cloud based Dropbox.

I use drop box all the time but BitTorrent Sync seems to have a few advantages. There is no file size or bandwidth restrictions on top of being a lot faster. Ive yet to confirm this but the only drawback i can see compared to dropbox is there is no middle man (the cloud), so both computers would have to be on for the transfer.

But live syncing of folders using the BitTorrent protocol seems pretty cool.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

In terms of functionality it’s comparable to most cloud-based sync tools such as Dropbox, except for the fact that there’s no cloud involved.

Users simply share their files across their own devices, or the devices of people they invite to their private folders.

That is still technically a cloud, it's just a private cloud. A cloud in my opinion is simply a distributed network of computers working together to fulfill tasks in a decentralized manner, instead of putting the full work load onto one server. Cloud is just an overused buzz word which confuses people.
edit on 5/1/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

The difference is that there is no middle man. Cloud storage is the use of a middle man (online server). This means technically any data you are sharing is safer because it is not being stored on a large server somewhere out of your control.

I just set up a synced folder on my computer that is sync'ed with my girlfriends computer. Anything i drop into the folder is instantly copied over to the synced folder on her computer and vice versa. Its very handy

edit on 5-1-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

The difference is that there is no middle man. Cloud storage is the use of a middle man (online server).

Cloud storage typically involves the use of a middle-man, but it doesn't have to. That's just a cloud with a central point of control. The BitTorrent Sync thing is cloud storage without a central point of control. It's a private peer-to-peer cloud storage service. The original BitTorrent network by its self is also a cloud storage network but it's a public one. The point is, any network which involves a setup of distributed computing to complete a task is technically a "cloud".

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Ok, this is from Wikipedia:

User’s data is stored on the local hard disk instead of a cloud, requiring at least one computer online to host the files.

en.wikipedia.org...

When they use the phrase cloud in this context they are talking about a service which can be accessed from the internet. You don't need access to a cloud floating out there on the internet, which leads them to say it skips the cloud, when in actuality it allows you to skip internet-based clouds because you have setup your own private cloud.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Its a straight up synchronization P2P.

File synchronization (or syncing) in computing is the process of ensuring that computer files in two or more locations are updated via certain rules.

In one-way file synchronization, also called mirroring, updated files are copied from a 'source' location to one or more 'target' locations, but no files are copied back to the source location. In two-way file synchronization, updated files are copied in both directions, usually with the purpose of keeping the two locations identical to each other. In this article, the term synchronization refers exclusively to two-way file synchronization.

Cloud storage is a model of networked enterprise storage where data is stored in virtualized pools of storage which are generally hosted by third parties. Hosting companies operate large data centers, and people who require their data to be hosted buy or lease storage capacity from them. The data center operators, in the background, virtualize the resources according to the requirements of the customer and expose them as storage pools, which the customers can themselves use to store files or data objects. Physically, the resource may span across multiple servers and multiple locations. The safety of the files depends upon the hosting companies, and on the applications that leverage the cloud storage.

Both systems perform some of the same functions but there are well defined differences between the two.

new topics

top topics

join