It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the sake of argument, let’s admit that God exists.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

galastry

Itisnowagain

galastry
You sure do a fine job abstracting your own little world as your words have very thin relevance to the discussion yet again.

There is only what is.
'What is' can appear as words telling stories of other - other times and other places. When and where (in what) do these words arise?

God is that in which all arises and subsides.

The world is not God, but it is, in a strong sense, "in" God. Not only do finite things have God as their cause; they cannot be conceived without God.

edit on 9-1-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

Broken record?

Before enlightement : chop wood carry water. After enlightement : chop wood carry water

Exactly.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

galastry

Itisnowagain

galastry
You sure do a fine job abstracting your own little world as your words have very thin relevance to the discussion yet again.

There is only what is.
'What is' can appear as words telling stories of other - other times and other places. When and where (in what) do these words arise?

God is that in which all arises and subsides.

The world is not God, but it is, in a strong sense, "in" God. Not only do finite things have God as their cause; they cannot be conceived without God.

Broken record?

Before enlightement : chop wood carry water. After enlightement : chop wood carry water

Exactly.

OH Yea?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yeah. It's hard to explain, but basically, chopping wood and carrying water helps to keep you grounded.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

Yeah. It's hard to explain, but basically, chopping wood and carrying water helps to keep you grounded.

No that is not what it is about.

There is a Zen saying, "Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment, chop wood carry water." What’s the difference? The tasks are the same. The need is the same. What about the frame of mind? Who is chopping? Who is carrying water?
www.interluderetreat.com...
This was just the first link I clicked on when entering 'chop wood carry water' into google.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It means there is no such thing as enlightenment.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Aphorism

Exactly there is no such 'thing' as enlightenment.
There is light and there 'seems' to be many people looking for it.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

'Enlightenment'.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Aphorism

'Enlightenment'.

What are you getting at? What point are you making?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I think you'll know what I say. Enlightenment is a word. Beyond that? It is nothing.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Aphorism

I think you'll know what I say. Enlightenment is a word. Beyond that? It is nothing.

Enlightenment is a state of mind by which the material world becomes illusion and the idealist world becomes reality. In other words, it's as close to virtual detachment of the self as a physical living organism can get without actually dying. And in some cases, death is considered the true culmination of such efforts.
edit on 9-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

AfterInfinity

There is a Zen saying, "Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment, chop wood carry water." What’s the difference? The tasks are the same. The need is the same. What about the frame of mind? Who is chopping? Who is carrying water?
This was just the first link I clicked on when entering 'chop wood carry water' into google.

Are you a Buddhist master now, that you would presume to tell me my interpretation is inferior to your own?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Aphorism

I respectfully disagree. Enlightenment is not the destination, but the path to it. It is a process and not a product.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

Itisnowagain

AfterInfinity

Are you a Buddhist master now, that you would presume to tell me my interpretation is inferior to your own?

I have not ever heard that carrying water and chopping wood is grounding so I looked online for 'chop wood carry water'.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

Aphorism

I respectfully disagree. Enlightenment is not the destination, but the path to it. It is a process and not a product.

Every path leads away from the light.
The light is ever present but one thinks one can find it in time.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

Aphorism

Are you a Buddhist master?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

AfterInfinity

Itisnowagain

AfterInfinity

I have not ever heard that carrying water and chopping wood is grounding so I looked online for 'chop wood carry water'.

Grounding is another phrase for "keeping in touch", otherwise known as establishing mindfulness of what you are doing and why.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You did not say that though.

AfterInfinity

You said 'carrying water and chopping wood helps keep you grounded'. You said nothing at all about mindfulness.
Do you think it is just carrying water and chopping wood that keeps you in touch with reality?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Aphorism

The realization of nothing is enlightenment.
Prior to any word (concept) what is there?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

I know, I find the older I get the more enlightened I become,not because I am wiser, not because I am more knowledgeable, but because I know how much I do not know, and how many thing are within the realm of possibility, there is the story of the Buddhist initiates complaining to the master about the student that would not study or meditate but instead go to the village everyday to play with the children, the master said he was the one that had already achieved enlightenment.

Or something like that.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Itisnowagain

You did not say that though.

AfterInfinity

You said 'carrying water and chopping wood helps keep you grounded'. You said nothing at all about mindfulness.
Do you think it is just carrying water and chopping wood that keeps you in touch with reality?

Why does it matter to you what I think? All you do is argue with my thoughts, so I think I'll just tend to my own and let you do the same. Good day.
edit on 9-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join