It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: French Jews Blast Paris for Allowing Hizbollah TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Jewish groups in France have protested the governments decisions to allow Lebanon's Hezbollah guerrillas to continue to use a satellite operator to broadcast programming to Europe. The groups claim that Hezbollah�s al-Manar TV includes anti Semitic films and preaches hatred towards Jews.

story.news.yahoo.com
PARIS (Reuters) - Jewish groups have objected to a French government decision to allow the television arm of Lebanon's Hizbollah guerrillas to continue broadcasting to Europe using a French satellite operator.

The CRIF umbrella group of French Jewish organizations accused the government of failing to protect citizens from broadcasts by Hizbollah's al-Manar TV, which CRIF says includes anti-Semitic films that incite Muslims to attack Jews.

"We French citizens are under attack as Jews by this television," CRIF president Roger Cuikerman said Friday.

Arabic-language satellite television is popular with France's five million Muslims, mostly of North African descent.

Al-Manar angered groups representing France's 600,000 Jews last year when it broadcast a series about a Zionist plot to dominate the world during the high-viewing month-long Islamic festival of Ramadan.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hezbollah Television? How many people in the states would want to watch something like this? Hezbollah is a known terrorist group. Does the first amendment right to free speech (and its EU equivalent) apply to the groups? The sad answer is yes. If we begin to censor opposing viewpoints then we turn our back on the fundamental right of a free society. I feel sympathy for those who these broadcasts are against, but free speech is free speech and its up to the listener to turn it off. I for one would.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Whao, Fred I did not that france is Jew, now I thought that muslins were everywhere, but Jews are everywhere too.

Just a joke.

Well I think we do have some channels in cable you have to pay for them that are from the middle east and other countries,I don't waste my time with them because I can not understand what they said.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
E-mail your concerns to the "President of the Republic" at www.elysee.fr... --Thats President Chirac's official website. I think we should all email him concerning this issue, and some other issues that moron talks about.

Its free speech, but free speech shouldn't apply to terrorists groups. Terrorists groups incite hate, brutality, etc.

[edit on 20-11-2004 by TheBigD]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD
E-mail your concerns to the "President of the Republic" at www.elysee.fr... --Thats President Chirac's official website. I think we should all email him concerning this issue, and some other issues that moron talks about.

Its free speech, but free speech shouldn't apply to terrorists groups. Terrorists groups incite hate, brutality, etc.

[edit on 20-11-2004 by TheBigD]

I don't know where you are from, but as an American I can only think that any email I send to Chirac's website would end up in the "Recycle Bin"...
In fact, the best Americans could do to impact this situation would be to tell Chirac that they approve of Hezbollah TV, THEN he might consider banning it...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
We need to e-mail the French to shut down an Islamic channel because we are concerned with free speech!

We need to remember that any conspiracy involving the Israeli's is taboo.

Dear Mr. Not with the Program,
    We want the French to deny access to anyone that is not pro-Israel or pro-American.
    Signed: citizens of the world for a free and democratic government

Something tells me this is not going to happen.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludite
    Dear Mr. Not with the Program,
    We want the French to deny access to anyone that is not pro-Israel or pro-American.

Does nobody understand that terrorism is not just an American/Israeli problem. Haven't you heard of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, or Chechnya? Does anyone read informative literature like National Geographic?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I don't think it should be banned.

I think that the best way to deal with Television programs is not to watch them. If the French audience will turn a terror operation into a lucrative TV business then it shows their ignorance. Personally, if something like that were being pumped into my cable box I would tune it out.

In the 200 or whatever channels I have there are plenty I don't like, so I don't watch them. Most of the customers I know do the same.

Of course, if the channel is encouraging violence against religious or ethnic groups that is a whole other story, and I have no idea what France's rules in that respect are.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Hezbollah Television? How many people in the states would want to watch something like this? Hezbollah is a known terrorist group. Does the first amendment right to free speech (and its EU equivalent) apply to the groups? The sad answer is yes.

Since the first amendment is part of the American constitution...it doesn't apply to France.
What is, and what isn't free speech in France is for the French to decide....not to mention it's political implications if it participates in allowing such propaganda and anti-semitic programming....

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Since the first amendment is part of the American constitution...it doesn't apply to France.

Took the words from my mouth. We have the first amendment which allows for the KKK to freely broadcast on public TV whatever message they have left. However, the Patriot Act should soon squelch this amendment. I mean, how many anti-american organizations that you know freely speak out about the government?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

We have the first amendment which allows for the KKK to freely broadcast on public TV whatever message they have left.

True, however in relation to this topic I suppose it depends on what that programming is.

Any lawyers here specializing in Constitutional Law?

Would a KKK Television program encouraging people to vandalize stores owned by African Americans be protected under Freedom of Speech? Is inciting a riot protected speech also? I personally am not sure, hopefully someone here knows.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
So what specific about the programming is anti-Semetic?

It'd be nice to hear details and judge the channel on details instead of generalities.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
France Orders TV Station Off Airwaves

PARIS - France's highest administrative body on Monday ordered the TV station of Lebanon's militant Hezbollah group off French airwaves within 48 hours for broadcasting hateful content in some shows and posing risks to public order.

The decision came after a Nov. 23 Al-Manar program quoted someone described as an expert on Zionist affairs warning of "Zionist attempts" to transmit dangerous diseases like AIDS to Arab countries. Another program the same day glorified attacks against Israel, the administrative body said.

The Council of State ordered Paris-based satellite operator Eutelsat to stop broadcasting Al-Manar within two days or pay a fine of $6,600 a day.

Hezbollah

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
France Orders TV Station Off Airwaves

And that's what seperates the USA from Europe, freedom of speech. I mean we have people like Howard Stern who can freely talk about anyth...oh wait. Nevermind

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If anything, there would be an amusment factor to the whole thing. However, I agree freedom of speech, but some considerations:

1) What if they are using the show to transmit operation signals?
2) What if they are using it to raise money

Lots of what if. Would he US have blocked Tokyo Rose if they could have? You betcha or the UK blocked Lord HeeHaw during WWII if they could they would.

But I agree we have to be ever vigilant about our personal freedom as once they are taken away it will difficult if not impossible to get them back

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yea, how about that Howard Stern. He is a prime example of the loss of freedom of speech. I guess Howard didn't fit the pro-Bush agenda of the FCC, or the right-wing evangelist. And who else to enforce Pro-Bush agenda? No other than Colin Powell's son.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   

And that's what seperates the USA from Europe, freedom of speech.

What? What Europe did you go to? I think it seems to be the other way round matey from where we're sat....

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
The french audiovisual council has allowed the broadcast of the french-speaking satellite program Al-Manar TV receivable in europe through eutelsat under concessions of submitting the content of their programs first for approval by the council.

The arabic version of Al-Manar TV is also receivable through satellite in northern america, if you want to look it up. It features interesting 'combat clips' of guerilla scenes that you won't see anywhere else, together with entertaining patriotic music.

Contrary to popular misbelief in USA, Hezbollah is not a terrorist organization. It's an anti-Israel guerilla movement that emerged from the israeli destruction of Lebanon twenty years ago. There is no proof of terrorist involvement by the HB. It has been tagged by the US governement as terrorist, because the jews insist so much on portraying them as terrorists. Europe has less jewish influence than america, and therefore can stay with the facts when the americans must genuflect to jewish opinions.

I think the 'sanitized' french language version of Al-Manar TV is a precious contribution to freedom of ideas about Israel.

krotz krotz

[edit on 16-12-2004 by krotzkrotz]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
So, hezbollah was not terrorist when they bombed US Marines in Beirut in 1983?
We tend not to forget people who bomb us, jack***.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD
So, hezbollah was not terrorist when they bombed US Marines in Beirut in 1983?
We tend not to forget people who bomb us, jack***.

I think that was part of guerilla operations, not terrorism. You should distinguish in what context bombs are placed. The context in Lebanon was Israeli carpet-bombing of Lebanon, supported by the US. And targets were not civilians, but military personnel...

Are you certain it was Hezbollah that conducted the bombing ?

new topics

top topics

join