It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud booms caused by 'Frost Quakes'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

It's almost like an earthquake because it's very close to the surface. You will feel a little bit of shaking, maybe if you're sitting in a chair and it happened, or you're lying in bed, or some of your dishes might rattle,' said Vettese.

Social media lit up over the weekend as hundreds of people experienced the rattles, bangs and grumbles caused by the frost quakes.

The subsequent deep freeze has turned that water to ice and caused the booms as giant chunks of the ground tear apart. 'It's almost like an earthquake because it's very close to the surface. You will feel a little bit of shaking, maybe if you're sitting in a chair and it happened, or you're lying in bed, or some of your dishes might rattle,' said Vettese.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Interesting as we hear a lot about mysterious booms. For the record I've lived in many cold places, the yukon included and have never experienced an Ice quake.
edit on 5-1-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

maybe you get louder frost quakes in places that aren't usually that cold as unusually cold weather puts the ground under stresses it hasn't had before? does this make sense?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
We are hearing booms here in SE TX and it isn't freezing yet. Wasn't freezing when I heard them around Christmas either. Some of them could certainly be frost quakes but I don't think they all are.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Fracking?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Stuff of the movies right?

This is part of what we will have to suffer for our sins.

Let me assure you:

The booms and bangs are not the worse part of it al...

Love,
George

top topics

join