It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all military vets - help a brother out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
So, I just turned 18 a few months back, and since then, I've been pretty stagnate, living the life of a child still. The fact that I'm a young man now, and not a boy still really hasn't set in for me. Lately though, I've decided that I'm going to join the military, not for the glory, not to "defend" America, but to give me a direction in life, to throw myself into the real world and just roll with it.

Anyways, on to the health and wellness portion of this lol. Back when I was 14 I broke my right leg/ankle pretty badly, and had to have a 4 inch metal plate attached to the outside of my fibula, and about 5 screws in my ankle bones (my ankle bones were all over the place) holding them together.

I recovered from my injury fairly quickly, and was back to walking before christmas of that year (broke my leg in early sept.), but ever since then, running has been a major issue. I used to play soccer a ton back in middle school and elementary, I was pretty fit, but since I broke my leg, I kinda gave up exercise all together, running for more than a few minutes just makes my leg feel like I just got it taken out of the cast, which is not good. I'm going to start training here in the next week or so for the PFT, and as well as to get ready for basic. I do NOT want to be "that guy" at basic, who is the handicap, I want to be the soldier that goes above and beyond, I just feel like this metal in my ankle will hold me back, because it has been holding me back for years now.

Will I even be able to join the military with my ailment, or should I just go ahead and get this metal removed before I start training for basic? (I remember my surgeon telling me, I could get the metal removed after a few years)
edit on 5-1-2014 by 8fl0z because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

Your answer is: Maybe.

My son got a waiver for a plate in his wrist. I know LOTS of docs ... so ... that's not entirely a fair assessment nor one you should consider 'a given.' The Army is getting pretty selective about who they let in these days, so expect waivers to be harder to obtain.

Also, there's a LOT of emphasis on physical fitness right now ... might make your case even harder.

FWIW, I applaud your efforts!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

I'd say you would most likely want you to get the metal out before you were able to enlist. And my two cents on you joining the military, if your not doing it for the pride and love of defending the country, then it may no t be the best option out there. Especially if you are just looking for a spark, recruiters pray on that. You learn a ton on how to handle real life don't get me wrong. But you are going to sign a contract that sells you to them, the things you learn you don't utilize till you are done. People get burned out quick and then you are stuck and hating it. The ones that don't tend to have that Gung ho doing this for america and country. Don't join the military as a last resort. I was in for 6 years and seen it first hand. And then those guys do something to get out and get a bad discharge and society shuns them forever not literally but they will instill that if you don't get a honorable discharge that your life is ruined. Hope this helps at all

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Wait until they start another war or the economy picks up and they need more recruits.

It's hard to get in right now and even harder to get waivers.

In meantime you might consider starting college classes as you can still go into military at higher pay grade if you have over 60 credits or so.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Military probably won't except you because of your leg injury, if you can't run your no good, or at least in the USMC which in itself it isn't an easy outfit to get into. If you want to try and re-coop try lower impact excersize in a pool. I hate to tell you kid but it is not the best time in US history to get into the service especially with funding cuts to the military and troop draw backs, they are not even letting some people re-enlist at least in combat arms and from what I hear are upping standards in some areas to get only the best. Unless you have some kind of super high G2 in your brain housing group I don't know what to tell you other then don't give up if you are that adamant about it but don't be shocked if they don't accept you in.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Sremmos80
reply to post by 8fl0z

I'd say you would most likely want you to get the metal out before you were able to enlist. And my two cents on you joining the military, if your not doing it for the pride and love of defending the country, then it may no t be the best option out there. Especially if you are just looking for a spark, recruiters pray on that. You learn a ton on how to handle real life don't get me wrong. But you are going to sign a contract that sells you to them, the things you learn you don't utilize till you are done. People get burned out quick and then you are stuck and hating it. The ones that don't tend to have that Gung ho doing this for america and country. Don't join the military as a last resort. I was in for 6 years and seen it first hand. And then those guys do something to get out and get a bad discharge and society shuns them forever not literally but they will instill that if you don't get a honorable discharge that your life is ruined. Hope this helps at all

Funny thing though, as much as I've had a low opinion of the military the last few years, I've always felt the need to give it a go, like I was born to be a soldier. I will fight for my nation if the need arises, but I can't get jazzed about a war like Afghanistan.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

I have a couple takes on this.....if you enlist and go to meps they will do an evaluation....you are basically being evaluated as a group until there is a smaller segment where they are one on one....lets say the worst case scenario happens and they refuse you entry you still have another option. If you went to college and joined ROTC you would do something similar however ROTC seems to be quite a bit more flexible on things and they also have more ability to get a "waiver". The military was the best decision in my life and I wish I never got out....and this is coming from a disabled vet who is even pissed off at his country. But I still loved my time in service for sure! Id join up in a heartbeat if they allowed me to.

As a side note....to keep the running side down...join a non combat branch and non combat MOS they it a little more lax on things. But ultimately you will have to pass a PT test...the Air Force has always had the easiest basic training and PT standard although it has gone up I have read but still much lower than the rest. In the Army for basic training you will have your 2 mile PT test which you need to make in time. I was in the infantry and I can say we rarely ever ran more than 5 miles...and when we did to 5 miles it was usually in 40 minutes...thats infantry.....however we marched probably over 30 miles at times haha. Some MOS' and some duty stations view physical fitness much less than others.
edit on 5-1-2014 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
They probably wont let you in if you tell them but you can always lie. We had a few guys do that but then again it came back to haunt them when the same injury occurred again.
Firepiston

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yeah I wouldn't lie. It'd be different if it was a clean fracture that healed up as good as new.

If you lie and you get reinjured or if the old injuries cause issue and they do Xrays they will see the plates etc.

That will not end well at all for you.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

But there is a HIGH chance they will send you to afgan, or some other place you can't get "jazzy" about. Thats what i'm saying. Unless you are willing to give up 100% of your individuality do not join the military. I know some will say thats an extreme, but its not. They can control every aspect of your life, even what you wear when you are not on duty. And don't be scared to lie to them, they WILL lie yo you

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

Unfortunately, I think at best you will have to jump through an inordinate amount of hoops to get anywhere on this. To be able to make it out of basic training one of the 3 fitness tests you must be able to complete is a times 2 mile run. Perhaps if you went to your doctor and asked them for advice on strengthening your injury or perhaps a referral to physical therapy would be in your best interest. Talk to a recruiter and see what your options are but take it from someone who has had to deal with the VA for many, many years, you do not want to put yourself in a position where you do more damage and the military tries to get away with not covering it.

new topics

top topics

join