It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Human-induced climate change’ to blame for Australia’s hottest year on record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
These damn pesky scientists keep upsetting the deniers..... This in from Australia's Bureau of Meteorology.

The weather authority, which last year introduced new colors on its temperature scale to cater for more extreme highs, said the Australian warming was very similar to that seen on the global scale. “And the past year emphasizes that the warming trend continues,” it said. This year is also starting warmly, with records already under threat in some Outback towns. In Moomba in northern South Australia, the temperature topped 48 degrees Celsius on Thursday. The highest temperature ever recorded in Australia was 50.7 Celsius in Oodnadatta in 1960.

Everyone is in on The Conspiracy it seems, with Scientists involved from University of New South Wales in Sydney.

Sarah Perkins, a climate system science researcher at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, said the report confirmed that the impacts of global warming were starting to be felt.

The Victoria University of Melbourne is involved.

University of Melbourne climate scientist David Karoly said the record high average temperature was remarkable because it did not occur in an “El Nino” year, when conditions in Australia are usually drier and warmer. He said that in climate modelling experiments conducted so far it was not possible to reach such a temperature record due to natural climate variations alone.

As is the Queensland’s Griffith University and the Australian Conservation Foundation.

Ian Lowe, emeritus professor of science, technology and society at Queensland’s Griffith University and president of the Australian Conservation Foundation, said the report confirmed expectations. “2013 was the hottest year on record for Australia, showing that there is no rational basis for the claim that warming has slowed in recent years,” he said.

Link to full story

I had thoughts of making this a massive thread as there are many, many other links and opinions regarding Climate Change. Watching every single thread on Climate Change slide into circular arguments with two sides is frustrating. It is in absolute conflict with the mission of ATS. The only way we can find truth is to investigate the sources.

I know that many armchair scientists out there will debate this as a conspiracy to charge us for the air we breathe. However in my limited lifetime of 48 years or so I have found that scientists often know more than most us us ordinary folks.

If you would like to counter the above arguments, please do so in a fashion that leaves your personal "opinion" out of it. Instead use your powers of investigation to post up the opinions of real scientists. Then we can investigate the meat of the argument. Simply put;

WHO FUNDS THE SCIENTISTS POSTING THE OPINION? This is the single most important aspect of any investigation. Lets do more on ATS than post drivel and argue nonstop. Lets investigate, credit or discredit real scientists!

This can be fun and yield some real results. We could even have a list of which scientists are making statements to the press and who is paying them. Again, lets skip the arguing our opinions and start investigating the sources.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I am a scientist and man made global warming is baloney. I guess that makes me a deli worker.

Oh, wait. I DO know more than you ordinary folk.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

i commend your effort to post about climate change but deniers won't read your links and if they do they'll say they aren't valid. i've watched this forum shift over the last few years and those who don't believe in AGW well outnumber those who do. i really wish there were 2 subsections on ATS... one for those of us who follow what you are saying and another for those who think it's a hoax. i'd love to be able to have rational discussions that lead to new information instead of the cat fight that it ALWAYS becomes in this forum.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

If you are a scientist give us science not a title...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I guess this thread will be the start of another. Maybe I will call it something like;

ATS members no longer investigate, they just post regurgitated news. I have been guilty of this myself. I was hoping that starting up the thread would get people interested in following the money and chasing down some basic stuff. Like who is paying whom, to say what. I thought that at least someone would have tried to discredit the two names I posted..... Maybe they can't!

Guess ATS is dead...... Oh well I can still use it for a news aggregate.

edit on 5-1-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

new topics

top topics

join