It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The magic of carpentry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
What is magic and miracles to the meek and stupid, is but work and resolution for the skilled.

According to the Bible, Jesus was a carpenter. No wonder if you ask me, for with simple tools you can hold back the rain, keep out the cold and stop the wind. Carpentry lets you walk through walls, and lift up tons and tons, and with the skillful use of the tools of the trade, you can even defy gravity and lift yourself high above the ground. By exercising this craft, you can walk accross the sea, and cross wild rivers without even touching the water. It can make you fly through the air together with the birds and challenge dolphins in highspeed sea chases using storms for horses. Needless to say: Carpentry sure is magic!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Utnapisjtim

So Jesus used his carpentry skills to feed the 5000, raise the dead, ascend to Heaven......

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Utnapisjtim
What is magic and miracles to the meek and stupid, is but work and resolution for the skilled.

According to the Bible, Jesus was a carpenter. No wonder if you ask me, for with simple tools you can hold back the rain, keep out the cold and stop the wind. Carpentry lets you walk through walls, and lift up tons and tons, and with the skillful use of the tools of the trade, you can even defy gravity and lift yourself high above the ground. By exercising this craft, you can walk accross the sea, and cross wild rivers without even touching the water. It can make you fly through the air together with the birds and challenge dolphins in highspeed sea chases using storms for horses. Needless to say: Carpentry sure is magic!!!

Motors do not equate to carpentry. I really enjoyed the rest, however. Is carpentry not a form of creation in the physical? A very noble and enlightening path is the one that the carpenter traverses.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Cool thread and interesting idea! You might be surprised to learn that this technique was prominent throughout history. Edred Thorsson's, 'Futhark,' explains how Norse Runes (magical letters) were incorporated into carpentry for magical purposes - and the practice continues to this day. Speculative esoteric Masonry considers this practice as well - take a look at some of the awesome stone-work done for religious buildings throughout Europe and even North America (supposedly built along ley-lines of special interest). The Pyramids of Giza also come to mind. The study of sacred geometry is particularly valuable when approacing this subject; for example, have a look at the blueprint of the Temple of Solomon, and the various mystical interpretations that accompany its theoretical construction.

xox
-kissy
edit on 5-1-2014 by kissy princess because: typo

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I enjoyed doing carpentry. I also enjoyed learning masonry work of all kinds. I did get a little spoiled by all the power tools but have gotten back to doing things by hand more now. It is more peaceful nailing roof shingles on by hand than using a nailer and working production. Two good hand nailers can outpreform two guys with a nailgun. This is one thing I learned from doing it both ways. Sure, on a long straight ranch style roof, the nail gun does go faster but on normal roofs it does not. You have to add everything involved to see the big picture.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

EA006

So Jesus used his carpentry skills to feed the 5000, raise the dead, ascend to Heaven......

He was also a rhetorical genius. For instance: Anyone could feed 5000 with a fish or two and a couple of loaves, knowing that back then whales were counted as fish. Give me two blue-whales and a couple of them 20-ton desert-baked Jesus-breads and no problem. As for waking up the dead, Jesus himself concidered higly living people dead, or did you forget the part about how "the dead can bury the dead" ? The truth is normally quite boring so people tend to favour magic and miracle.

As for ascending to heaven, that part was added by a certain group of clergymen a few centuries after it supposedly happened in an effort to groom a new god for their new religion.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Nosce
Motors do not equate to carpentry. I really enjoyed the rest, however. Is carpentry not a form of creation in the physical? A very noble and enlightening path is the one that the carpenter traverses.

You can build a glider and pull it up on top of a cliff, jump off of it, and keep flying around for hours if you catch the right drifts. And the Norsemen sailed accross the ocean making nearly 15 knots, only using the wind and carpentry, giving even the heavy longships good vertical lift in good winds.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

rickymouse
I enjoyed doing carpentry. I also enjoyed learning masonry work of all kinds.

Ah, masonry! I've heared that if you believe in masonry, you can litterally move mountains!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I was the best at woodwork in my school class, despite being a girl, and I loved it, especially the carving.

As an artist I sometimes make frames for canvases and recently constructed a large frame from scratch, it felt sort of primal, and I enjoyed the carving of the recesses for the joints the most. It felt like second nature.

I believe my grandfather was a carpenter / cabinet maker in a town which was famous for a long time for it's carpentry craft, especially in cabinet and furniture making.

That industry is all but gone from there now, which is a shame. Furniture making has gone to the factories and isn't made for the same longevity now. I try to buy artisan furniture where possible.

A lot of carpenters here in the UK spend a lot of time doing building site work, rather than more elaborate work, I wonder if they would prefer the more artistic element of carpentry.

Grinling Gibbons work was amazing in it's skill and intricacy

edit on 5-1-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Ah, love the dragon style of wood-carving favored by the old Norse.

Given you have the knowledge of how to use the right tools in their proper ways and you know how put it all together, you can create a grand piano using carpentry. I love the pianomaker's toolbox below. Notice the square and compass at it's proper location....

edit on 5-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Syntax error

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Such skill involved in these crafts and there are few things more elemental than creating from wood.

People sometimes take trees and skills like these for granted but were it not for such things, humanity would never have evolved to the extend it has. Even the steam trains were cast from moulds created round carved wood.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Indeed. Carpentry and masonry brought us out of the jungle and turned us into city-dwellers, bringing along civilisation. Carpentry brought us from the stylus to the printing press.

And this staircase is pretty amazing:

The myth surrounding the creation of this staircase, claim the biblical Joseph made it. Shaped like the DNA molecule, and like Scottish Rite Freemasonry, it has 33 steps.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I find it hard to understand that anyone would beliee that the so-called Son of God was a carpenter as he spent most of his time being a Rabbi and teaching, if the Bible is to be believed.

This assumption also poses the question why would Joseph, if he wanted to apprentie his son to himself as a capenter, bother to send Jesus to Egypt? Listening to many people who seem to be 'close friends' of the heavenly family, he was studying there and if so is it that likely to learn carpentry in a foreign country when he could learn it for free at home?

It takes years for people to break free of their conditioning into various religions when they were young, but the fact that well educated people still accept, stories that don't make any sense were they to actually think about the details etc, can only be described as lamentable.

I would be interested to learn of the actual relationship between both Joseph the Carpenter and Joseph of Aramathea whom many say was a wealthy tin/metal business man. Also intruiging is Herod's question to Jesus 'Are you the Kibng of the Jews'? I have wondered in the past why this strange question was asked as Jesus was a 'carpenter'? With Herod's spies, tax collections etc etc and the rabble rousing Jesus had carried out according to some, he would have had a pretty good idea of Jesus's history.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Absolutely, a lot of these really are works of art.

Squaring the circle is the first step to a lot of knowledge

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Shiloh7
I find it hard to understand that anyone would beliee that the so-called Son of God was a carpenter as he spent most of his time being a Rabbi and teaching, if the Bible is to be believed.

In the Septuagint the Greek noun tektōn either stands for the generic Hebrew noun kharash (חרש), "craftsman," (as Isaiah 41:7) or tekton xylon (τέκτων ξύλον) as a word-for-word rendering of kharash-'etsim (חָרַשׁ עֵצִים) "craftsman of woods." (as Isaiah 44:13). The term kharash occurs 33 times in the Masoretic Text of the Hebrew Bible.

As an alternative to kharash, some authors have speculated that the Greek term corresponds to the Aramaic term naggara (Hebrew נגר naggar "craftsman") and in 1983 Geza Vermes (1983) suggested that given that the use of the term in the Talmud "carpenter" can signify a very learned man, the New Testament description of Joseph as a carpenter could indicate that he was considered wise and literate in the Torah. This theory was later popularized by A. N. Wilson to suggest that Jesus had some sort of elevated status.
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

Your concern is legitimate, and there has been quite a bit of discussion over the matter. We know that the gospels have an Aramaic source, and much is lost in translation. A word like Aram. נגר 'naggara' can easily be translated into 'τέκτων' 'tekton', but in the process the 'wise man' part of 'naggara' is lost in the process due to different lexical and semantic definitions of the Greek word 'tekton'.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

theabsolutetruth
Squaring the circle is the first step to a lot of knowledge

Indeed. It's what you'd start with when you construct typefaces:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I have (at the back of my mind) that the word 'naggara' links to the term 'serpent' and Christ's words "Be ye wise as Serpents" could well be involved in the mystery of the real profession of Christ and his Status. I have not checked the naggara reference and won't be able to as I have have just moved and it will take time to settle and get sorted - so my memory may be off on the serpent reference, perhaps you know what my memory seems to have latched onto.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Shiloh7

I have (at the back of my mind) that the word 'naggara' links to the term 'serpent' and Christ's words "Be ye wise as Serpents"

The word you are looking for is Heb. 'nachash' n. m. - serpent and divination. As a verb it means to practise divination, but also aquire knowledge.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

the narrator of you vid has no idea what he is talking about - to put it bluntly

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I don't agree with the narrator, I just wanted to show the staircase and what a magnificent piece of carpentry it is. For instance, the inner railing would practically work as a center collumn for instance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join