It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elites of Pompeii dined on giraffe leg and flamingo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Archaeologists have found that the people of the ancient city of Pompeii may have eaten a varied diet, with the rich enjoying delicacies such as flamingos and the poor scrounging for soup or gruel.

The material from the drains revealed a range and quantity of materials to suggest a rather clear socio-economic distinction between the activities and consumption habits of each property, which were otherwise indistinguishable hospitality businesses

The researcher said that the bone represents the height of exotic food is underscored by the fact that this is thought to be the only giraffe bone ever recorded from an archaeological excavation in Roman Italy

Elites of Pompeii dined on giraffe leg and flamingo

And you people complains about the current inequality of the world

Waste from neighboring drains would also turn up less of a variety of foods, revealing a socioeconomic distinction between neighbors.

At least now rich people dumps mix with poor people dumps in the sewers, aint that progress?

A drain from a central property revealed a richer variety of foods as well as imports from outside Italy, such as shellfish, sea urchin and even delicacies including the butchered leg joint of a giraffe.

How does they know giraffe joints are a delicacy and not some last resource meat as i dont know a donkey, it seems the elite these days still eat it in secret and that's how they know it

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Perhaps these days they dine on us....

I know... David Icke

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

I see no problem there as human meat is commonly available everywhere and poor people can join the fad too, probably the rich are just coping some African tribe and those people are not exactly elite material

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
In Europe they eat my little pony. In Africa they eat monkey. Our habit of eating cow is looked upon with disgust in India and that we eat pig is disgusting to many cultures not just the Jewish. There are folks who eat squirrel in the US or opossum and personally I equate that with eating rats. And yes there are groups who eat people.
I think lamb's are adorable . I think goats are cute. I also have no problem munching on a lamb chop or eating curried goat.
The Chinese shun a lot of dairy products including cheese. We practically worship cheese in this country and the battle over who makes the best mac and cheese is an on going one. I say the Italians mastered mac and cheese. But they call it lasagne or fetticcini alfredo. Fact is we need protein and the planet provides a myriad of sources for us to choose from . It's why we have those sharp tearing teeth.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

you fail to see all those are native to their respective places and giraffes aren't to Europe

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

What's your point. I know giraffes aren't from Italy. My basmati rice is imported as well as my olive oil. The Romans were master's of the trade routes. That how we got such a variety of foods in the first place. Otherwise all I'd have would be buffalo burgers as cattle weren't indigenous to the US.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

my point is this thread is not about how gross its for you what someone eats, but the fact that social inequity was worse before than now, at least it was my point until a mod change the forum

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If we are only to discuss the differences in the diets of the rich vs the poor fine. Or is the discussion about foods being imported from different regions. See I am not really sure where the discussion goes except to say ok they ate giraffe in Pompeii and then that's the end of the thread. Whoops.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

i'm glad you are not a mod and have no power over to close it, if you dont like it you can always not comment and move along?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I am a vegan and marvel in Wha? at the eating habits of corpsearians from throughout history.

Giraffe? Does it taste like a large chicken? If I was still eating meat and it was offered me I'd be tempted to try it (my most exotic "meat" eaten was a tiny piece of dolphin once, which I shamefully confess).

edit on 5-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

ill say it taste as horse...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Ok. There will always be differences in diet depending g on what you can afford or where you live. Fact is those differences are only apparent in advanced civilizations . Like the Roman empire. I have access to all manner of food and I am neither rich nor poor. Of course I can't run down to the save a lot and buy giraffe legs and even if I could a quick search on the food network reveals no recipies for it. Your thread comes to a dead halt since you said it all in the OP. HAVE A NICE DAY.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

A Chinese finds a bridge under a lake and its a good topic material but if a dude finds a half eaten giraffe leg is not?

This thread have tons of potential as in being a conspiracy because how on earth they know its a delicacy and not a crappy meal if someone is not eating it in secret, you said it no giraffe recipe in your book means there is a reason not to share someone is eating it, or the fact that social inequality was worse before than now and people complaining about it is wrong, as you say you it tons of stuff from around the world not being rich. or simply the fact that some dude gets paid to analyze 2k+ years old turds.

See this topic has tons of potential, i just dint want it to go to the nasty food angle
edit on 5-1-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think this is very interesting. I wonder if the giraffe was brought to Italy alive to be owned as an exotic animal to impress people and then didn't survive or it was specifically brought over for eating. It surely must of been alive in Italy so the meat was fresh?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I read again the article in the link i provided and it has been severally edited since the time i post the topic

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Here in Africa, giraffe is definitely on the menu, and not the cheap menu. A few km from us is a restaurant Carnivores where you can sample almost any non-threatened herbivore during the evening. No elephants, rhinos, apes or monkeys mind you!

If I remember correctly(it has been a few years since taking overseas visitors there) giraffe is immensely flavorful, if slightly dry. Warthog is some of the best meat ever (the poor little piggies, snif), red hartebeest divine. Eland is similar to beef, but with more flavor and less fat.

Never seen a flamingo on a menu as an edible. But maybe in central Africa.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

A drain from a central property revealed a richer variety of foods as well as imports from outside Italy, such as shellfish, sea urchin and even delicacies including the butchered leg joint of a giraffe.

I don't know. Giraffe could be considered exotic but I don't think it indicates any real level of wealth.

Giraffe is a very economic food.

One leg goes a long way.
edit on 5-1-2014 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Indigent

This thread have tons of potential as in being a conspiracy because how on earth they know its a delicacy and not a crappy meal if someone is not eating it in secret, you said it no giraffe recipe in your book means there is a reason not to share someone is eating it

Serious question, did you read the entire article? Within it are some pretty clear indicators of whether it not the meat was an
open delicacy rather than a dirty little
secret. To me at least, the fact that the giraffe was found in a restaurant pretty
Clearly shows that this wasnt some
Shameful secret meal. The fact that spices from Indonesia were located there was more impressive to me due to the distance and the amount of trade involved in getting that particular product to Italy as opposed to an animal that wasn't unknown outside of Italy as it was used in games and zoos. Anyway, between the meat and the spices both being located in a restaurant, which cost money to eat at, all points to the giraffe being a delicacy in my humble opinion.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

see my last reply plz
edit on 5-1-2014 by Indigent because: im hungry so i eated a word

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Sorry about that. Got distracted by kids after typing and there was a long delay between finishing and posting that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join