It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turn Out The Lights... Forever!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This is an offshoot of another thread, as well as about a half a gallon of coffee.

But what if the electricity was just all of a sudden off, and it didn't come back on? Oh, I'm sure this has already been posted a hundred times before, because apparently, there's a TV show about it.

I don't know if any of those other threads addressed all the positive implications of what turning off the power might represent.

For one, we'd be able to once again see the night sky. There are quite a few adults that exist in this world that have never seen more than fifty to a hundred stars in the night sky due to existing in light pollution all their lives.

Environmental problems would begin to correct themselves, as we would have no energy to, a) break the environment in the first place, and b) break it more by haphazardly and hastily trying to fix the problems we've created.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is maybe we're just not mature enough as a species to have earned the right to use energy, as we obviously don't know how to use it responsibly. Maybe we should put ourselves in time-out, go back to the stone age, and think about what we've done for a while.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Go back to the dark ages? no way!! I think you are seeing too much of the bad in humanity and not enough of the good, I see the good everyday at my place of work, I see random acts of kindness everyday and just think of what we can achieve we can reach for the stars If we wish.
Lights go off millions will die.
I agree with the night sky thing but that is hardly enough to justify turning the lights off. We can solve the environmental issues with science, we must strive for cold fusion then we will be fine and dandy.
Humanity FTW!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Have you even begun to think about the 100's of millions of people who would die a slow death becuase the electricty was turned off?

But I guess your ok with that. You can see your stars after all. Quite selfish.
edit on 4-1-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Have you even begun to think about the 100's of millions of people who would die a slow death becuase the electricty was turned off?

edit on 4-1-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

You could also argue that most of those people shouldn't have existed in the first place.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

There would also be more pollution if there wasn't electricity, all the produce and machines that require it, cooling towers etc, as well as the humanity toll. Who would collect all the waste and deliver things, there wouldn't be transport or shops or hospitals etc as we know them and these are vital to our society as it is.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Be careful what you wish for.
You may get it.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

I actually did a little thread on the biggest cover up i know of

The night sky

For tens of thousands of years that sky has brought a sense of wonder and place

I have been among the few to have viewed that sky For a Hawaiian mountain top

And experience i can never forget

I thinks for at least one weekend a year all outdoor lights be shut off

Maybe try to rekindle that awe for the rest of the people

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Sure, we'd be able to see the stars for a while, but then all of the nuclear reactors would go all "China Syndrome" due to lack of cooling. Those hooked up to life support machines, dialysis machines, O2 machines, etc. probably wouldn't feel the same as you since their lives depend on electricity.

Sure, when the power goes out for a few hours it can be fun, unless it's -1 or +100 outside and you're elderly, then it can be deadly. But to hell with them, they should've been better prepared, right?

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

TDawgRex

Hey, not talking about the bad stuff here, trying to keep it light and positive.

But notwithstanding the fact that there are a very select few humans who could have the power to literally do this to us, and that we would never know who they were, or how to turn the power back on, what are the good aspects of having no electricity?

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

Oh, wait... You're saying that all those nuclear power plants actually require energy to be fed into them to prevent them from melting down and causing radioactive havoc worldwide? Oh, that is not good at all!

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

If the infrastructure of society didn't depend on it and it hadn't been invented we wouldn't have all the things we know and take as normal, like machines, plastic, supermarkets, cars, planes etc and it would be like it was before it was invented, I guess, picture things circa 1800 as an example.

For those just living off grid lifestyles it would be a lot like camping / glamping.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

If you are talking alternate energy on a individual level, then I am cool with that.

But that's not going to happen due to all the regulations and laws attached to said energy sources.

I love stargazing and have to drive quite a ways to do so. But there is entirely to much attached to the grid these days.

5 days without power in cities would probably see the death of thousands. Some who may have survived with only 3 days.

We have to face facts. We are dependent...until the grid truly goes down.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

TDawgRex

We have to face facts. We are dependent...until the grid truly goes down.

And then we are free again.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

So are you serious that you didn't know that the reactors needed power? Or are you responding sarcastically.. cause it was your original idea that we should turn off all the power..

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

My underlying sarcasm, while subtle, is intended to outline the idea that people don't have an idea of what the world would be like should power fail, or was intentionally shut down by our self-appointed would-be masters.

If the power was intentionally shut down, it also would be intentionally redirected to facilities that they require for their own operations, as well as safeguarding threats such as nuclear plants from destroying an environment that they intend to continue to inhabit after the 'unfortunate' deaths of billions of humans.

I do appreciate your attention to the sarcasm, if not the recognition of it. It seems that it caused you to ask one of the right questions, because as it happens, there are a lot of people in this world who have no clue that energy has to be used to 'power' a power plant, and the implications.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It's a nice fantasy to think about going back to becoming one with nature, starting over, and getting a reboot of what we've screwed up... But the reality is that at least 50% of the planet's populace would be dead within the first 6 months, the other 50% would gradually die off within two years, with a teeny tiny portion of survivors left to try to eke out a living.

I'm thinking most survivors would be the ones who live thousands of miles from the nearest current form of modern civilization... which counts most of us out of that equation.

I'm thinking most of us live within 300 miles of a nuclear reactor and/or other fellow human beings. Either of which would be the end for the majority of us, no matter how prepared we might think we are.

If the power goes out permanently, I figure we've got a one week time limit to get our asses as far away from any form of civilization as possible... literally putting thousands of miles between you and everyone/everything else.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Another_Nut
reply to post by Mon1k3r

I actually did a little thread on the biggest cover up i know of

The night sky

For tens of thousands of years that sky has brought a sense of wonder and place

I have been among the few to have viewed that sky For a Hawaiian mountain top

And experience i can never forget

I thinks for at least one weekend a year all outdoor lights be shut off

Maybe try to rekindle that awe for the rest of the people

I understand what you are saying, when i was young i would lay outside in the dark and stare into the sky, I cant say why it just felt like i should.
When I gave up smoking the part I found the hardest and the part I still miss the most is smoking at night under the stars, now i just go outside for a coffee to look the night sky.
People need to reconnect I agree.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Anyone from New England in 2011 can tell you what happens when the power goes out for an extended period of time (not the genny powered stuff granted like stores but most of them were closed after a day anyhow as the gas ran out)

Yes we saw the night sky, but we were too tired by that point to enjoy it, our normal internal clocks got reset to the rising and setting sun.

Cooking was a pure "joy" and I mean that in the most sarcastic of senses. I have camped before and used just tinder and matches to start a fire but when the ground is covered in evil white flakey mess it's hard to keep a fire going, and lemmie tell you once the coffee ran out.. man... I was not the person you wanted to be around.

Medicines were scarce, until the local pharmacies were back up and running people had to do without, only emergency supplies could get through to hospitals, and they were running on short staff and limited generator power as it was.

I am actually surprised more people didn't die off during that outage, it was cold at night, barely 40 during the day, wasn't until week two it got up to 70 to melt everything and we had a chance..

The problem is suddenly ceasing Electrical Power to most homes in this day and age will cause damage, as the heating and cooling systems malfunction (in our case the vents were stuck open lettin the freezing cold in from outside, and we couldn't spare the bankets and stuff t cap them off initially. Two computers died, from the condensation in them and when suddenly power was restored, most modern machines auto-restore to the last point they were at.. the furnace was damaged, all the electrical component fried. Was not a fun time, did we live? yeah we lived, and we had some fun too, kids loved the 5 times a day walks we took to go looking around to see what was going on in the neighborhood, it was quality time, but I'm glad I have me power pendant here, even if it's only a prop

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
You all bring up good points. Those heavily dependant on power would cease to survive. Elderly, medical patients....you all made that clear. It would get to cold or hot. At least in the cold we can bundle up or find a way to start a fire in the winters. Summers can be worse if water supply is down and there is no rivers, streams or beach front to go to.

The part about the nuclear reactors is the scariest. The point though is to be able to see a clear sky with no light or gas pollutions. And stepping out of our homes and meeting our neighbors.

I was just outside under a beautiful clear night sky. Its 30. And last night was 9°. But I like the cold and have a sweater. I'm lucky because I'm tucked in the hills away from the city lights. Only a couple street lights. Some of the best night skies I've ever seen were in the high desert. Or the beach in Maui.

But think about it. I'm in Amish country. They can do it. And have a long time. Our ancestors did it. That's just here. Where is to cold and wet or hot and humid. In other parts of the world where the climate is more stable and warm you have tribes. They can do it.

It's not entirely impossible. Yes some would perish. But eventually humanity would help each other. Maybe even get together by a warm fire under a million star night. Those far enough away from nuclear power facilities should be OK.

OK going back out...got the telescope up with my hot coco.
edit on 4-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

Edit:!
thanks to this thread! I have that song "Lights" from Journey stuck in my head! I love that song! But! Long story short! I once ask a kid DJ at karaoke to do lights......her response was "WHAT'S A JOURNEY"
why do I have to turn 40 next month!

edit on 4-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Also the absolute nutters out there who would use it as an excuse to commit crime. And those who just don't care about others who would rob, loot, murder and rape as there would be no cctv and the police force would be restricted in what they could do against large numbers with limited facilities. During the riots here in the UK half the people interviewed who were rioting were doing it just because. They didn't have a valid reason, they made vague remarks about the government's # ain't it? There's a lot of arseholes in the world who wouldn't give a damn about the pretty stars and would prefer to cause chaos instead.
I do love going to the country to see the stars however. It's amazing, just not amazing enough to stop some people being stupid

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join