It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steven Seagal considers running as governor of Arizona

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy

Here is a vid. Realize the opponents are trying to win

That demo was so bullssh@t. Reminds of the demos where the master beats everyone like the are some kind of mystic force and then some guy not on the take walks up and takes out the master in a few seconds.

I remember when he thought he was a bad ass and one of his stuntmen choked him out with little trouble...

So what we have here is a guy that was in the Air Force stationed in Kadena AB and after he got out as a E5 became somewhat successful as a action hero... I'm sure he has all the right tools to get the job done as a Governor.... Lol ya right...
edit on 5-1-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

The 'art' of Aikido is to use the your opponents momentum against them. It works and when someone well trained does it correctly it does look fake, however those opponents roll with their momentum to avoid injury. As someone pointed out an untrained person facing this kind of attack would quickly suffer broken bones. It wasn't just a bump that made the guy fly and it is a shame that video is of low quality because we miss the extremely technical aspects of the bumps and throws. While that was an artsy demonstration mostly for show, the opponents we indeed trying to take Seagal down.

Seagal and Norris for President and VP!!! Surely they could not do any worse than they guys we've had so far this millennium.
edit on 5-1-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

jrod

The 'art' of Aikido is to use the your opponents momentum against them. It works and when someone well trained does it correctly it does look fake, however those opponents roll with their momentum to avoid injury. As someone pointed out an untrained person facing this kind of attack would quickly suffer broken bones. It wasn't just a bump that made the guy fly and it is a shame that video is of low quality because we miss the extremely technical aspects of the bumps and throws. While that was an artsy demonstration mostly for show, the opponents we indeed trying to take Seagal down.

Seagal and Norris for President and VP!!! Surely they could not do any worse than they guys we've had so far this millennium.

Then why doesn't Aikido rule in UFC/MMA? I don't think it even made it in the early days when people threw roundhouses and haymakers.

I guess it sucks when someone doesn't play by the rules...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

They do, all skilled fighters use it to some extent. Not necessarily Aikido but the idea of using the opponents momentum against them, Judo is somewhat similar hence the term Mixed Martial Arts.

However there are illegal moves in the UFC so moves that could snap the opponents neck are not allowed.

Are you going to tell me that UFC fighters do not use Judo moves?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Reminds of the demos where the master beats everyone like the are some kind of mystic force

It appears mystical because they are trained. When you couple someone who knows locks and throws really well with someone who is trained to fall and roll efficiently it appears 'fake' to some.

I attended a summer intensive in Ninjutsu were we practiced much of this on concrete. I am sure you would have thought it was all choreographed as well. How could people safely do it otherwise. Training.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

However there are illegal moves in the UFC so moves that could snap the opponents neck are not allowed.

Exactly.

The combat effective techniques of Aikido would most likely be illegal in UFC to begin with, whereas Judo is designed to be sport friendly.

*Not to say a Judo person couldn't employ a technique to be deadly.
edit on 5-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

That alone ruins my suspension of disbelief and I cry foul on it's true authenticity.

I often surprise people how easy it is to knock someone down. There is always an angle someone can push you that will take you off balance. Always. This is why shifting your footing is paramount. That mere 'butt bump' is more than believable.

You see it as proof that he's genuine.

You make it sound like I am basing everything about Aikido and Steven on this one video lol. No I am not. I've seen plenty more. Including recorded footage my escrima instructor took himself of Steven at a martial arts seminar/conference he attended.

I see it as proof that he's just struting through a show he's supposed to win.

I am sure him winning was the aim. It was still free sparing. Hey look it's no skin off my back if you or anyone else here thinks it's all fake.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm torn on this. On one hand, he's a giant douche. On the other, think of the entertainment value

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Judo Gene LeBell choked Seagal out and made him crap his pants on set. That is what I think about when I see Seagal.
edit on 5-1-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

This is what I am talking about...

-Peace-

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Judo Gene LeBell choked Seagal out and made him crap his pants on set.

Post it.

There is no evidence for this unless I've missed it.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Bedlam
Judo Gene LeBell choked Seagal out and made him crap his pants on set. That is what I think about when I see Seagal.
edit on 5-1-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

Joe Roagan's telling of that story is classic.

Norris would loose to Seagal in a fight and apparently Gene LeBell would have destroyed both of them and could have taken on any MMA, UFC fighter in his prime.

LeBell is one badass. No surprise if he was able to choke on Seagal.

Back on topic.

I hope he runs for governor!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Seagal for Governor? I think the people of Arizona would be a lot better off with a mouse.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by tsingtao

I was able to embed your link. Are you sure you just used the last bit?

The 'qUaesUh-M3Q' part for the Youtube Video Number?

ooooooooooooooooo, ok, some sites use the whole url and some use to the right of the = sign.

thank you.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

LeBell is one badass. No surprise if he was able to choke on Seagal.

I wouldn't be surprised either. My instructor always told me someone who claims to have never lost a fight in their life picks and chooses who they fight. Good fighters lose fights. I think I have lost about half my fights in tournaments and I think I'm pretty good. LeBell's claim isn't just that he choked out Steven, it's that Steven said he was immune to chokes, LeBell choked him out and he proceeded to # and piss himself. Okay. But without evidence I am not going to believe that story. It's just conjecture. No doubt plenty of people could beat Steven, including many Judo people. That's not the point.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

You're probably right about who would win. Chuck learned an art that was as much match fighting and demonstration as anything life or death. Seagal mastered the art where little old ladies drop 300lb bruisers and leave them wondering what truck ran them over... lol

If only I could go back and do a few things differently? Learning that would be among them...

i've seen chuck in full contact, in the ring, way back. on tv.

he was awesome.

i wouldn't mess with segal either.

who would take that chance? lol!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy

They are helping the demonstration by falling down for their opponent.
This is a common theme in Aikido demonstrations.
You can clearly see some of them are taking a dive at the mat.

It's Randori. Free sparing. The demonstration wasn't scripted.

They have trained how to fall and roll not they they were trying to.

Those sort of things don't show how practical the art is in real combat

If he had done those techniques on someone, say on the street, who didn't know how to fall and roll properly then bone breaks and neck snaps would ensue.

That said, if you look at the style of Aikido Steven advocated later on you'll see it's much more 'combat ready' and less artful and showy than many Aikido styles.

I trained in Aikido for a couple years at an Kendo studio. My primary art is eskrima [weapons-based] however.
edit on 5-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

yes, and broken fingers and wrists.

that's why the other guys could get back up.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Eryiedes
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Sorry sir.
That part in the demonstration where Segal just butt bumps some guy and he is sent "flying" and rolls like he was hit with the momentum of Andre the Giant.
That alone ruins my suspension of disbelief and I cry foul on it's true authenticity.
You see it as proof that he's genuine.
I see it as proof that he's just struting through a show he's supposed to win.

-Peace-

he makes it look effortless, right?
lol, so doesn't hendrix when i watch him play.

i've done that and i'm not even a newbie. that's called shaolin twerking!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Xtrozero

jrod

Then why doesn't Aikido rule in UFC/MMA? I don't think it even made it in the early days when people threw roundhouses and haymakers.

I guess it sucks when someone doesn't play by the rules...

maybe because no one is fighting for their lives?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well, I like the guy's movies and I'm all for anyone who is articulate and has an idea getting out there and running for office.
He made a movie in eastern Kentucky back a few years ago (Fire Down Below). He made a lot of friends up there I can tell you. The people who worked with him thought he was a great guy, easy going, and quite funny.
I'm thinking he doesn't fit into either of the major parties so he'll be an indie ----yeah!

As for Jessie, he's one of my heroes. I've never met him but I was honored to be able to work with his campaign manager when I was running for public office. I'd never heard of Jesse until he ran for governor. From the stories Doug shared, he is a stand-up guy, one that I'd be proud to call my president because I'd never have to wonder about his love of his country. I don't have to agree 100% with a fellow in order to vote for him.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join