It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all atheists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthLover557

It seems strange since we don't believe we are going to Hell. Is that it?

Well I agree with boymonkey74's post but I'll add my wording.

It's what it represents. Someone that says that is essentially saying you're a disgrace of a person and you deserve to burn. The fact atheists don't believe it is irrelevant, it's the fact atheists know the religious person does.
edit on 5-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Yup better wording indeed

Truthlover thats what I meant to say but Lucid is more eloquent than myself
Star Lucid

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

I like to think...

how often do you hear this phrase in a scientific lecture? Because this phrase basically defines theism, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I am what I guess should be called Agnostic. I don't believe in God or any deities for that matter but, I am open to the possibility.

What I'm trying to say is that in the end, nobody knows one way or the other. There is no way to know without a doubt whether there is, was, or isn't a god. So, how about we just try to get along and accept that we don't all believe the same things.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Some atheists get really offended when someone believes in God, like it’s an affront to their dignity.

If you want to look beyond peoples reactions... an absence of belief in God has no bearing on the existence of God... and it definitely does not invalidate ones faith in God.

If anything at all, theistic beliefs (at least with Abrahamic religions) make room for the existence of non-believers.

edit on 5-1-2014 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

Agreed. I posted the quote from Einstein because I think it's a good allegory or parable. The human mind can't comprehend 'the workings of the universe', as Einstein put it.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

canucks555
Christian, and a follower of Jesus.

That's redundant

the comment angered me just a tad

That's ok, religious people get angered easily, more easily than most actually. When lots of religious folks get angry it seems like lots of people die. Shame, that is, and maybe the reason that many people don't subscribe to religion in the first place.

Someone who can barely string a sentence together was chastising someone who had an obviously well-developed faculty for thinking.

There are some people that cannot write. Yet they are wiser than this forum combined. Stringing words together has nothing to do with whether or not they have a right to chastise others.

Get off your high horse. (just my opinion)

Honestly it sounds to me as though you're angry that people don't believe in your God.
edit on 4-1-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

Really? It sounds to me that the OP was wanting to explain why believing in God wasn't just a "cop out" or a "fantasy story" as some, more difficult to deal with, non-believers like to say with a little smiley face on the end so not to seem confrontational.

It's not about one vs the other. From what i've seen, those who believe in SOMETHING are a lot more willing to accept, reason with and even work together with 'non-believers' as the the 'non-believers' are to those who beleive. Most of the time people who say they have faith are basically ridiculed, mocked and most importantly belittled for believing in something our limited senses cant see,hear,touch etc etc.

So no, i don't think the the OP was angry at people who don't believe. I think the OP was a little bored of hearing the same old nonsense from people who's mind are not only closed, but are ready to to patronize people at a moments notice.
edit on 5-1-2014 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

an absence of belief in God has no bearing on the existence of God...

Well spoke. This is precisely why I like the "Monte Cristo" quote.

Edmond Dantes: I don't believe in God.
Abbe Faria(the priest): It doesn't matter. He believes in you.

I was mocked and insulted earlier in the thread for using this quote! I'm encumbered with a sensitive nature, so it hurt my feelings a bit.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

C21H30O2I
reply to post by Toadmund

Every Christian I've met lives in fear of their loving god. The whole pile of... stories is based on fear. Also, all the slaughtering in his name has instilled fear in non-believers. I'm sure, all that were massacred in the name of jay a sus feared for their lives immensely.

starrrrr

You see that is the view of an atheist...

Why do you assume every religious person lives in fear, or that all they want to do is beat people over the head with their religion any chance they get? I'm not very religious but my wife is and so I mingle with that circle and I see none of what you seem to think is a religious norm. I agree there are small percentages of people like this, just as there are small percentages of atheist that act with the same level of extremism, but neither is the norm.

Speaking of religion, I hate to say it but humans are not nice...never have been. When you look at history we might look ugly at times with religion, but that pales in comparison as to how we can get without it. Atheist all seem to assume that a world without religion would be a better place and I would love to debate that we would see a much different world, but it would look extremely ugly today.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I believe there is an intelligence behind nature but I have no reason to believe it is self-aware or even conscious of humans. I don't think it cares one iota about humans going to heaven or hell. It is more of a cold, unfeeling mathematical code.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I would argue that a world without "religion" could exist quite nicely as long as it had an uncensored, unfiltered and unmonitored internet. one that worked soley as a collective display of amorphous cells of thought exchange and material transactions, self-organized and collected from around the world and collated in trends and interests to economically match current events. We need an energy/technology update pronto in order to get us off nuclear power and fossil fuels and to also hopefully enable us to come up with the technology we are going to need to rebuild what we've destroyed so far if it isn't too late.

the only higher power I believe in is one that has more advanced technology. I pray they come to help us solve our radiation issue otherwise we're doomed.

ps
it's gonna be like Soylent Green and Planet of the Apes all rolled into one
edit on 5-1-2014 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

DetectiveT
So these types of comments are best ignored. It is amazing what the surrounding context of a post can reveal.

you just contradicted yourself there but your point about not getting worked up is correct. I'm a firm believer that 1: it doesn't matter WHO is saying it but WHAT they are saying. You can only attack the words people are saying and should only attack the words because no matter who they are coming from, if they are wrong they are wrong. and 2: it is up to you to explain WHY they are wrong and 3: if you are right that should be easy to do so it doesn't matter who they are.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Yes, they make room in torture chambers or at the end of a sword trying to convert them by force and failing that condemning them to hell. I'm not really sure what you are getting at, but history shows that Abrahamic religions make little room for the non-believers. So much so that many ancient skeptics and atheists had to publicly say they were Christian, but one can deduce their real beliefs through their writings and some of their quotes.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I am sure your wife is very sweet but in my life have came across some unsavory Christians. They cuss, threaten...wishing me harm because of my beliefs, So, I tend to treat them the same way. Just because I am an Atheist, don't mean I don't care about my fellow man. I in fact volunteer at the local hospice center, to do my part.

To me religion is like a classroom where the students have to show up everyday but there is no teacher.

There are a bunch of books around and no one is even sure which is the text book. Some students insist on one book; others argue just as hard for another,

Then suddenly, on the last day the teacher appears and says he's been watching everyone the whole time.

He praises the ones who chose the right text book and sends them off to have cookies and milk.

And then he sets the rest on fire.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I'm not really sure what you are getting at

I'm talking ideas and concepts. When I said ''theistic beliefs make room for the existence of non-believers'', I simply meant the existence of non-believers has its place within the bounds of what religion teaches.

edit on 5-1-2014 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

C21H30O2I

I am sure your wife is very sweet but in my life have came across some unsavory Christians. They cuss, threaten...wishing me harm because of my beliefs, So, I tend to treat them the same way. Just because I am an Atheist, don't mean I don't care about my fellow man. I in fact volunteer at the local hospice center, to do my part.

To me religion is like a classroom where the students have to show up everyday but there is no teacher.

There are a bunch of books around and no one is even sure which is the text book. Some students insist on one book; others argue just as hard for another,

Then suddenly, on the last day the teacher appears and says he's been watching everyone the whole time.

He praises the ones who chose the right text book and sends them off to have cookies and milk.

And then he sets the rest on fire.

Hehe I see that as a very convenient way to justify your own beliefs or non-beliefs...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

bottleslingguy

I would argue that a world without "religion" could exist quite nicely as long as it had an uncensored, unfiltered and unmonitored internet.

We would have an uncensored, unfiltered and unmonitored world... I don't think you understand just how evil man really is or can get. The evil alien race that goes world to world and eats the indigenous life and pillages all the natural resources is exactly what we would be like, we are the evil alien race...

There is a reason we are 7 billion on this planet and it is not because we are nice in anyway. At the individual level people can be nice and can even be the type that would not harm a hair on a head, but as a society we might as well be killer bees.

Society in the past has not done very well when religion was removed from the equation.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Yes, I suppose it is. I really do respect others beliefs, I just try and portray what I believe in, I am aware I can come off as someone who thinks highly of myself over others, that's not the case tho. I just am trying to compare my logic to Christian logic. It is a hard subject to debate sometimes without coming off like an inconsiderate jerk.

The bible is just a difficult book for me to accept as truth. I am an Atheist/Humanist.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I didnt read the whole thread, as I can probably guess how it goes.

Atheism is based in denying the existence of "X." As such, it can only exist as many atheists perceive it, in the form of actively denying "X." This can only be done with direct confrontation with those who hold the beliefs they deny.

It wont always manifest that way in every individual. Many atheists dont speak on it at all, like someone who doesnt partake in stamp collecting wouldnt bother picketing a stamp collector convention.

I think most of us speak fervently on topics we are attempting to convince ourselves about. No one is immune from it, and atheism isnt the only psychological construct (belief system) that exhibits it.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

C21H30O2I

Yes, I suppose it is. I really do respect others beliefs, I just try and portray what I believe in, I am aware I can come off as someone who thinks highly of myself over others, that's not the case tho. I just am trying to compare my logic to Christian logic. It is a hard subject to debate sometimes without coming off like an inconsiderate jerk.

The bible is just a difficult book for me to accept as truth. I am an Atheist/Humanist.

You know, I see religion as a natural consequences as to how our brains operate, and because of that I would be extremely surprised if we didn't have it. A big capability of our brains that makes us human is we can think in the abstract, we do it so well we spend most of our thinking time there. You can't even make breakfast without abstractly creating it first in your head, as example. We are who we are because of this...religion or science are thoughts of what is not touchable, knowable and we work hard to make it concrete. Like or dislike, believe or disbelieve it doesn't matter for it will always be a part of us.

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join