It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all atheists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Superduper! whatever you say. Fiction, is just that. No matter how the spin is spun. I will never see it any other way. You can call me closed minded, which I am not. and for your info, I am not trying to hurt anyone, just hard for me to understand anything that comes from stolen pagan material..

I spent all week at the hospice house. I just got back,visiting my dieing mother and other people on the floor.. God/jesus, wasn't there and I don't mean in person, in any prayers and not one I spoke to wanted anything to do with any scriptures, old and young alike.

These people I see and help on a regular basis and they are good, working class people. Religion has no place in their dieing moments. Not my words. The helping hand is more powerful then your prayers!

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by C21H30O2I

Spot on!!!
it is humanity which gives the love and compassion the sick and dying need not God or Jesus.
Humanity FTW!!! (again)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
If a Christian gets so butt hurt about something some atheist shill says about their faith, then their faith is questionable.

Religion is supposed to make the religious strong in their convictions. Just go with your thing, don't worry about what the haters say, and whatever happens, do not defend yourself. Just turn the other cheek, that is to say, ignore their taunts.

But of course, it isn't very fun to start an argument that can have no end, and not participating in it based on that fact.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Right on, BM74. I help at hospice daily. None of them want anything to do with religion. They want a caring mind and help getting around,someone to sit and talk to, watch tv, not to be hounded by religious sects.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Mon1k3r
If a Christian gets so butt hurt about something some atheist shill says about their faith, then their faith is questionable.

I agree, afraid of doubt.
A true believer would not feel the need to defend their fragile belief, unless their was doubt lurking beneath the surface.
Doubt means - going to hell, no god, no heaven, no angels, just us.

They fear doubt more than god.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I will never see it any other way.

Or at least as long as you have a choice in the matter.
Never say never.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

Every Christian I've met lives in fear of their loving god. The whole pile of... stories is based on fear. Also, all the slaughtering in his name has instilled fear in non-believers. I'm sure, all that were massacred in the name of jay a sus feared for their lives immensely.

starrrrr

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well, okay. I agree with that. I can get a bit flustered at times, discussing religion. and I do like to be enlightened. It just turns into a dog fight sometimes. My apologies for any disrespect.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Hey, it's instilled and runs deep.
Even myself, as an agnostic, I sometimes fear being wrong about there being no god.

That's why I am still agnostic and not a full blown atheist.

That is the definition of a cult, rule through fear.
I am still fighting it.

Logic is still winning.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

Well keep up the good fight brother. Much respect. I don't believe either way and I really try to be opened minded about religion, My grandmother was super religious, I loved her dearly, she could not change my mind. I have seen so much in my time, where I come from, good friends being killed, Killing themselves.

People claiming to be religious, those were the worst drug addicts, drug dealers, even murders. But because they believe, their saved. according to their logic. Just to many questions and to much chaos in this world, for me to accept Christ in my life.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

No one who believes in God, a God, the God of the Bible.
Goes around saying I know God exists! Not if they realise
the first thing about their belief or faith or ideology.

Aside from the fact that even if some do, it's an
affirmation to the possibility of God and therfore can not
constitute a demonstration of disregard for a lack of knowledge.

Randy I respect ya but I really have to disagree with your assertion it is a rarity people go around claiming they know god exists. They may not put it in those exact words but the message and meaning is the same. In fact there are a threads with it in the title exclaiming proof/evidence of gods existence.

Here are some threads actually titled of absolute proof/evidence.

Intelligent Design is a self evident truth
Proof of God - Evidence that Cannot be Denied!
"Proof" of God.
Proof of God is found in Israel - Video
Undeniable Proof of Intelligent Design
The proof that God exists
Proof that Light is from God - Quantum Mechanics of Creation
Proof of God in Logic and Absolute Truth
The Real Scientific proof of GOD
No More Faith. I Have Real Proof of God.
100% Flawless Proof of God
We Have Proof God Exists
Scientific Proof of God – The Evidence,WITH SCIENCE AND THE BIBLE
Irrefutable evidence that God exists.
Instantaneous Synchronicity: Proof of God?

I know there are some claiming the exact opposite but it is probably 20 to 1 claiming god exists with evidence than those claiming there is evidence god doesn't exist with evidence.

Think about how many threads their are claiming that DNA or RNA is proof of god. I think you somehow forgot about just how common there are those trying to claim scientific evidence of a creator it is a constant topic on ATS. You may not realize it but that is the same thing as someone who

Goes around saying I know God exists!

In fact it is worse than just claiming it they are also claiming there is evidence for it.

I think you have really got this one wrong. It has been my experience that most theists are gnostic while most atheists are agnostic.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

Humanity will not be free until the last Pope is strangled with the entrails of the last King.

2nd line

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The Bible is like a software license. No self confessed Christian actually reads the whole thing. They just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree".

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rupertg

I agree, and I also read your entire post.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
To me that just says you agree with most Christians, which is entirely fine. I don't expect you to find fault in what they say as they share your beliefs.

So you think that because I side with Christians on a lot of issues that I'm somehow incapable of recognizing when one of them spews hateful, condescending, and offensive verbal attacks towards those who don't share their beliefs? Very interesting.

I'm not disagreeing that there isn't hate on the atheists side, I'm simply stating it exists equally, on both sides of the issue.

And I'm simply stating that based on what I've read here (and I read a LOT here), I have to disagree. Maybe you could shoot me some examples of hateful Christians in a PM or something? I'd ask you to post proof to back up your claim, and I'd gladly do the same, but that's against the rules.

(Fyi, moderator status doesn't apply to me when I'm in thread talking to a member. I'm just a member, just like you!)

Sorry, I think you took that the wrong way. When I said "mod or not", I was referring to your familiarity with the threads.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

First and foremost…
Rejecting anything and everything that you consider theological, religious, or spiritual
doesn’t automatically make you “scientific-minded”.

Accepting these things as truths on faith and not reasons we can approach with a scientific methodology is not scientific-minded. I think that's more the point.

On the contrary, it makes you close-minded.

This I find humorous. The religious literally think they have a book that has captured the thoughts and wishes of the creator of everything. They don't just have answers, they have the answers. If new answers conflict with their holy texts they will side with their holy texts since it's coming from God Almighty himself. In other words, quite closed off. This happens when you believe you have in your possession infallible knowledge. Science doesn't make this claim. In fact it relishes in its fallible nature. It's quite open to new discovery… kinda the point.

There are people much smarter than you who believe in God.

Smart people are quite capable of dumb beliefs. Historically true no? Not saying god belief is dumb (per se) just this notion that an intelligent person is necessarily full of intelligent beliefs.

Finally…

As for your final point. You have to understand that just because someone doesn't believe in Heaven or some preservation of their personality for eternity doesn't render their life without meaning and love. This is important.

I would like to add my own.

It's one thing to believe in a creator god and another to believe in a god as any religion describe. There is so much more being asked to believe. I wish people were more clear in threads. Especially in Intelligent Design threads. They pitch these philosophical arguments for a prime mover and then later in the thread say 'oh yeah and it's Yahweh and not Brahmā btw"… with no…reason…at…all.
edit on 5-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Fair enough Grim. And you're a good man for quoting the phrase
where I sort of touched on that so, all good in the hood I guess.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

No.

This is categorically untrue. There are literally HUNDREDS of comments by religious folk here on ATS claiming that atheists, among a variety of others are going to hell in a hand basket because of their non belief, their life style choices and a whole variety of other things.

Just wanted to vouch to this! I have been a member since 2003 (new account in 04) and the numbers are staggering. Lets keep perspective here folks. If you want to make a case for your side don't spew obvious nonsense. Bones if you haven't seen it I don't know what to say. It's there plenty. Furthermore the idea we are unworthy of eternal reward because there is something eternally wrong with us is in my eyes the most disrespectful belief one could have for another person (since you mentioned the blow job sticker as immensely disrespectful). And yes... I know we can repent *rolls eyes*.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Why are atheists offended by the notion or outright claim that they are going to hell?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthLover557

I had an argument with a person at work once who told me I would goto hell because I was not a Christian even though Iam a decent caring dude, Christians who say this to others use it as a weapon and a Iam better than you tool.
I get offended because it isn't their job to condemn anyone it is an insult and how dare anyone condemn others to an eternity of brimstone and fire..it just isn't on.
Also we all know when they say this to us they are just masking their hatred of you with a religious excuse and they sometimes get away with it.
It just isn't cricket my dear chap.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join