It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah Man Vows to Fast Until State's Ban on Same-Sex Marriages is Restored

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Anyone see the guy on reddit that did a little sleuthing, figured out the dude ran for office at one point and from there found his address?

He sent him a sandwich. He sent him a sandwich called the 'Hot Daddy'. Also a cookie. I laughed pretty hard.

The fool did accomplish something by getting attention, and I'm sort of loathe to post anything that may garner him more attention. Of all the freaking things to get upset about, with all the horrible things and the murderers, drug dealers, rapists, war mongers, Olive Gardens etc. and these lunatics decide to focus on something that doesn't harm a single person.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It's unfortunate that he doesn't know the law as well as he thinks he does. Nullification is not an option in this case. I feel sorry for the guy. Anyone who is so totally devoted to denying freedom to others must have an extremely sad and lonely life. I hope he changes his mind.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I guess I am a cold-hearted bastard.
I don't feel bad for him at all.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

butcherguy

I guess I am a cold-hearted bastard.
I don't feel bad for him at all.

Well, being Butcherguy you have to keep up the rep. I hope he doesn't kill himself, and has more common sense than he's shown so far.

Personal disclosure: I once went on a seven day fast with a friend at a governmental capitol to highlight an issue. My friend couldn't do it, and ate about four or five days in, but he still went on site of the fast and pretended he was still doing it. I let him do that, which was wrong of me, although it told me much about his character which later proved correct. If it occurred now I would ask him not to continue pretending.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I don't want him to die.
If someone locked him in a cage against his will and starved him, I would feel bad for him.
So I do have a soft side.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Glad to hear it. Let's take it to the extreme, and after about 45 or 50 days he does show signs of dying (he'd be dead already if he wasn't drinking water or whatever he's drinking. If he drinks juices he's cheating, as people like comedian/civil rights activist Dick Gregory once lived for a year or so on juice alone). If he dies from this fast he may become a hero to anti-gay groups, and they will be marching with his photo and naming organizations after him. He will become a symbol to them. Could he really want this? If so he's not very smart, as it's an issue which is on the wrong side of history, and if Jesus were invited to a gay wedding of a friend he would have gone to it and supplied the wine.

But if the Utah ruling is not put on hold by the Supreme Court, as I expect, if he's true to his word he will have to fast until late February, which is when the courts will next hear the case. By then he will be dead or at death's door and knocking, or he will have found a reason to have broken his fast (and as a wannabe politician he can spin the reason why he broke it several ways). If he breaks his fast I expect him to be invited to speak at various functions and rallies, and thus will have gotten what he likely wants anyway: an unofficial title and a legacy of being very loudly on the wrong side of history.

edit on 5-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Polygamy? Really?

You're fine with your wife getting the living daylights banged out of her by her 5 other husbands?

Wow.
edit on 5-1-2014 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

reject
Polygamy? Really?

jrod didn't say that HE wanted to be in a polygamous marriage.
Just because a person supports something doesn't mean they would choose it for themselves. For example, I support marriage equality for all and I'm in a monogamous, heterosexual marriage. See how that works? If you support freedom, you support it for everyone.

I support polygamous marriage, too. It's not the government's business OR my business who people choose to commit to.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by reject

reject
Polygamy? Really?

jrod didn't say that HE wanted to be in a polygamous marriage.
Just because a person supports something doesn't mean they would choose it for themselves. For example, I support marriage equality for all and I'm in a monogamous, heterosexual marriage. See how that works? If you support freedom, you support it for everyone.

I support polygamous marriage, too. It's not the government's business OR my business who people choose to commit to.
Theoretically speaking, if you support it for everyone, you should support it then if your wife takes other husbands because its legal, right?

Maybe your wife's husbands can get their own individual beds for when the shake & bake happens?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

Polygamy is not for me, but who I am to judge.

Almost all polygamous families have one husband and multiple wives. Your assumption shows how little you know about what really goes on.

Since polygamous families are real, just like gay couples are real I think they too deserve the same rights traditionally married couples have.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

jrod
reply to post by reject

Polygamy is not for me, but who I am to judge.

Almost all polygamous families have one husband and multiple wives. Your assumption shows how little you know about what really goes on.

Since polygamous families are real, just like gay couples are real I think they too deserve the same rights traditionally married couples have.
well, that's the traditional male double standard right there.

Are you saying, you support polygamy but you'll have none of it?

Isn't that hypocrisy?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I sounded so sure that he would feel the pain and break eventually, but then I came upon information about people who try to subsist on sunlight and air. A lot of those people ended up starving to death. Mental illness probably helped that unfortunate consequence along, but still. I guess death by hunger isn't quite the awful game-changer I thought it was.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

reject
Theoretically speaking, if you support it for everyone, you should support it then if your wife takes other husbands because its legal, right?

Uh, no... Eating at McDonald's is legal, too, and I support people choosing that, but that doesn't mean I'm going to choose it for myself. Likewise with:

Going to church
Celebrating Christmas
Marrying the same sex
Picketing a soldier's funeral
Having children

This is FREEDOM. I do not choose to be in a polygamous or same-sex marriage, but I support the freedom for people to choose that for themselves. Seems some people don't have a clue what freedom is anymore... Very sad...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Why not?

Would you feel wronged?

Would you feel victimized?

Like I asked the other guy, isn't that hypocritical?

I'd like to pose another theoretical question, are the polygamists' partners also allowed to have multiple partners? And their partners' partners also, and so on and so forth? They should be, right?

How do you think that would work out?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

reject

How do you think that would work out?

Why don't you just explain what's bad about it and why it shouldn't be allowed instead of simply insisting that it's bad.

..Apart from dealing with all of those in-laws.

edit on 5-1-2014 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

I support gay marriage but I do not want to marry another guy.

I fail to see the logic in your argument.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

Just thinking out loud...... What about gay polygamy? I mean why couldn't gays or lesbians have several partners? If they should decide to what if they asked this guy to be their witness and offered an all you can eat buffet. Think he would consider it?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ikensee

The reason why I'm okay with gay couples and polygamist is when there is a true couple, they become dependent upon each other over time. Because of this they deserve some of the protections traditionally married couples have.

So who wins when gay couples and polygamist are allowed to have a legally recognized marriage?

Divorce lawyers!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The Supreme Court just put a hold on Utah's gay marriages, pending a hearing by the 10th Circuit Court on February 25th. So I guess the guy has had a good cleansing fast, and now must be breathing a sigh of relief and chowing down.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Hopefully he won't think that his threat to starve himself had any bearing on the decision.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join