It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Polar Vortex' to Blast Frigid Air Over Much of US

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Inversely it's downright warm up here in Alaska. 30's yesterday, and again today. For January (typically our coldest month) this is okay with me.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The UK for should prepare for the same or similar.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Ya know it's kind of odd to read through these posts...
See I live in SW Colorado, snow country a place you expect cold temps and we've been cold

that's a photo of Wolf Creek ski area it's just up the road from my place... got a nice base of 57'... 60' mid...
On top of the mountain they'll be maybe 30ish today... down here at the base we'll be around 47 today...after a low of 10... that's normal for us... But I never thought that, would sound balmy compared to what the east coast is going threw
edit on 7-1-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

beezzer

I'm sitting in North Dakota. Looking at -60 wind chills tomorrow and Monday.

Astounding! Wondering how long will this last (although for now its in the comfy 70s-80s highs here in Los Angeles county)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

It's actually going to warm up to above 0 tomorrow!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Siberian lows over the Bering Sea into the Gulf of Alaska are what determines the weather fluctuations we experience here in Alberta, Canada in winter. If the jet stream is pushed farther south due to these " bubbles " of low pressure cells it tends to slide that cold air further south. It is by far warmer in Alaska today than here. Sometimes the warmer low pressure is pushed south into the eastern side of the Rockies and our temps can swing from -30 f to 40 f in 24 hrs. We've had rain here 3 times in December alone ( on top of the 4 ft of snow we have already). Not your typical prairie winter by far to have the warmer air slide down from the north! Since weather records have been kept here ( a little more than 100 yrs - a small blip in time ) it's not all that unusual though to have above average temps in winter. It just takes the right combination of weather factors and a weakened jet stream to allow the arctic air to penetrate that far south. Between today and tomorrow we are expecting another temp swing of about 60 f to come through again ... then we'll be out basking in 40 f again!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's actually going to warm up to above 0 tomorrow!

Time to dig out that flourescent orange speedo you've been saving for just such an occasion, eh !

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
So.. when it dissipates, where will it go? Surely it won't vanish into thin air?
What are the chances of it heading to Europe?

Maybe it'll envelop the northern hemisphere, that'd be a news story...

Wrap up warm people!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   

jazz10

Why do you say this ? Not questioning your comment just curious to know if you think this weather system will effect the uk

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Is this the Nuclear Winter at its starting point.
Reseach it. don't take any governmets e proval for it. your stupid or dump....
And I don't think so >

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

Yes and you remember right

In 1974, Time Magazine blamed the cold polar vortex on global cooling.

‘Scientists have found other indications of global cooling. For one thing there has been a noticeable expansion of the great belt of dry, high-altitude polar winds —the so-called circumpolar vortex—that sweep from west to east around the top and bottom of the world.’

Another Ice Age? – TIME

Forty years later, Time Magazine blames the cold polar vortex on global warming

‘But not only does the cold spell not disprove climate change, it may well be that global warming could be making the occasional bout of extreme cold weather in the U.S. even more likely. Right now much of the U.S. is in the grip of a polar vortex, which is pretty much what it sounds like: a whirlwind of extremely cold, extremely dense air that forms near the poles.’

Polar Vortex: Climate Change Could Be the Cause of Record Cold Weather | TIME.com

pjmedia.com...

and yes it is media hype, just like naming winter storms,

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

So in other words... Let's keep pretending that science hasn't advanced in 40 years. Also let's pretend that what 4 or 5 scientists at the time claimed that we were approaching an ice age while the rest said no, the planet is warming. How about we end with if Time Magazine does a scientific article it always gets its facts 100% correct.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

jazz10

We had our go in Dec 2010 - which likewise was due to part of the polar vortex drifting south, but over Britain/NW Europe rather than America

reply to post by ThomYkabal

No, a nuclear winter refers to the whole planet. Not part of 1.9% of the planet

Kali74

So in other words... Let's keep pretending that science hasn't advanced in 40 years. Also let's pretend that what 4 or 5 scientists at the time claimed that we were approaching an ice age while the rest said no, the planet is warming. How about we end with if Time Magazine does a scientific article it always gets its facts 100% correct.

Indeed

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I never claimed anything, I was just pointing out the irony of it all and the fact polar vortex isn't new.

I imagine when they start fining us, um, err, taxing us for our carbon foot print we will all be to poor to afford heat anyway.

edit on 023131p://bWednesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Imagine if you fought taxing carbon and fought global warming at the same time...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Kali74

Imagine if you fought taxing carbon and fought global warming at the same time...

I don't know how, honestly.

I believe we are caretakers of the planet, no doubt about that.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Stormdancer777

Kali74

I don't know how, honestly.

I believe we are caretakers of the planet, no doubt about that.

One way tackles both at the same time. You start by writing letters to local, state and federal officials. You tell them that you don't want to be left out of the decision making process when it comes to tackling climate change and that government solutions cost is passed on to the voter. Tell them that we need to start having national conversations with scientists, architects, engineers etc...

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Niagara Falls FROZE

cool pics
www.dailymail.co.uk... st-mecca.html

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Isn't this what used to be called a "Cold Front'

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join