It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it good to NOT try to change the world? Have you given up yet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I feel like what's happening in the world is "written in the stars" and that this world is too extreme and sick to be real, that it is some kind of mind over matter. All the new laws decreasing our freedom and all the new advanced technology, and reading dystopian science fiction, makes me feel that it's pointless to try to change the world. That trying to fight for a change is actually to fall in the trap. That the right thing to do, wrong as it probably sounds to most people, is to give up, and humble yourself before the world and whatever it feels like doing. I'm not saying you should leave your door unlocked at night, stop going to work, and things like this, but pretty much. To try to minimize your life down to living frugally. I have a menial job, can't afford to do much, don't aspire to get a career or a bigger home, don't care that women are not attracted to me, don't care about the future etc. Up until my spiritual awakening about half a year ago I was more or less depressed for ten years. I took a course to try to prepare for university. I was sad that I wasn't becoming anything, wasting time and my ability, and approaching 30. Then I had the spiritual awakening and I was like fuk this world.

Is political activism worth your time or is it pointless?

Do you care about career and affording a nice home etc? (especially if you don't have that now)

Could the world begin to become better today? Or does the world have to go downwards before it can go upwards? Passing through some kind of apocalypse. Or is it the way I feel that it is that this world can only go downwards, political activism is pointless, and all you can do is either fight for change, in which case you become that which you fight, or you give up and put your destiny in God's hand?
edit on 54131Sat, 04 Jan 2014 10:54:22 -0600201422pAmerica/Chicago2014-01-04T10:54:22-06:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
There is always a chance of salvation, I hope to one day bring about change via music.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by introspectionist

Change the world? Impossible. Change yourself? Of course. You have to remember that you and everyone else are connected in ways not understood yet.

The problem in the world in all its capacities exist within you. The personal problems that we have personally exist in the world in an amplified state. For example, the greed of the world's richest is not exclusive to the rich but in all facets of society. You will see this in rush hour traffic, the anger, greed and selfishness, in line ups at coffee shops and fast food, in your house with your friends, family strangers.

One cannot judge the world without first asking him/herself if these problems that you claim to identify are only identifiable within you. Once you can rid yourself of these mental injustices, vices and contradictory hypocritical angers within you then know that others around you and around the world are coming to the same realization.

How do you change the world? Change yourself and wait maybe beyond your lifetime. This is one of the purposes of life.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Awesome answer.
I'd add - lead by example rather than through wasted sound and fury.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Lynk3
There is always a chance of salvation, I hope to one day bring about change via music.
Salvation yes. But I think the salvation is for the individual, not for the outer world of that individual. It seems to me we live in separate universes. I think that after one has had a spiritual awakening the world begins to become darker and darker. I think that spiritual awakening is God choosing you to be saved just like he chose Noah to be saved. After that you become a seeker, and that is to try to gather the instructions on how to "build your ark". Meanwhile the world, as you can see, is falling down into hell at a speed that is increasing exponentially. That increasing evil is the water rising. But you, who had a spiritual awakening, are on the ark floating on the water. So the world is going down, but you aren't. You are ascending and shaking off the world. All those things that you feel like changing, or fighting for, or just getting upset or fearful about, all those things are traps, it's the world, which you could be shaking off, trying to pull you back down. The solution, the way to make the shaking off go faster, or the crumbling of this world go faster, is to not fall for those traps but see through the deception and become distanced to everything material.

Anyone else feel this way?

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Shadow Herder

Change the world? Impossible. Change yourself? Of course. You have to remember that you and everyone else are connected in ways not understood yet.

The problem in the world in all its capacities exist within you. The personal problems that we have personally exist in the world in an amplified state. For example, the greed of the world's richest is not exclusive to the rich but in all facets of society. You will see this in rush hour traffic, the anger, greed and selfishness, in line ups at coffee shops and fast food, in your house with your friends, family strangers.

One cannot judge the world without first asking him/herself if these problems that you claim to identify are only identifiable within you. Once you can rid yourself of these mental injustices, vices and contradictory hypocritical angers within you then know that others around you and around the world are coming to the same realization.

How do you change the world? Change yourself and wait maybe beyond your lifetime. This is one of the purposes of life.
I have been thinking about this as above so below theory. But I'm not sure if I believe in it. To me it seems like the outer world is not a mirror of all of me, it is a mirror of just a part of me; a part that is crumbling as I'm evolving spiritually. I feel like the more enlightened I get the darker the world gets. I think this is like, again, Noah on the ark. That of those options I listed your view is that the world can go upwards, and my view is that it cannot. It can only go downwards, but that that is a good thing. It leads closer to the Apocalypse, which is when all of this simulation evaporates.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I saw this movie where this girl wanted to marry John Bon Jovi I think, and she was at something and he walks by. She said destiny will only take so far the rest is up to you.:-)

I read a few of your other posts and you said you suffer from depression. I used to be on anti-depressants awhile, went through brief phases where I was really depressed and tried hurting self a few times over half a decade ago. Since then I don't need any meds and I am just beaming everyday. My attitude is really good, want to go to work used to hate it and get lost in video games the interactive novels you can walk around in of my generation. I bought too many when there price dropped to 15$ so I gotta go through them.

I am about 30 too, just turned. If you become happy to be alive and here and not in a wheelchair or worse and don't take the little things for granted. Like you gotta work a full day I get coffee in the morning and at the end of work I usually have 6 hours of free time. Like a blessing to do whatever I want music, video games , drawing or reading.

Don't worry about girls , when they don't come around you get used to it and real life isn't like TV where they glamorize everything. Just try to stay upbeat and happy to be here. Things could be so much worse, or any day your life could just be pulled apart.

I have been really happy for awhile and beaming , I don't know why. I got a regular job don't have a girlfriend , right now at least and just got over a bad case of schizophrenia I had for five years. I love video games playing them and my hobbies make me happy. Watching movies getting involved with art and drawing. I used to be best artist in grade and drew photorealistic ly , missed some social skills growing up because always drawing.

You shouldn't give up, everyone dreams of having nice things. Maybe you can get some of those nice things if you work hard or better yourself. I know we aren't supposed to put too much weight in materialistic things, but they are nice . I am going to get a PS4 in New Year or next year, when the good games come out. Keep your head up and look forward to things.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by letmeon

Well, when I had my spiritual awakening I stopped caring about getting a career and stopped caring about the world because my fear for the outer world was gone. In this thread I primarily mean giving up about the big things in the world, such as political activism. I do still care to a certain degree, although not very much, about what I can do to make myself happy. But not for other people's sake. Like what other people think of me. I have plans to try to learn guitar playing.
edit on 26131Sat, 04 Jan 2014 11:26:58 -0600201458pAmerica/Chicago2014-01-04T11:26:58-06:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

For starters, and in a very generic sense, I second the gist of your question.

When you point to a ‘spiritual awakening’ and ‘trying to fight for a change’, you’ve identified a part of the problem – imo.

What ‘change’ would you be fighting for?
What particular version of ‘the truth’ have you awakened to…?

What if my awakening is averse to yours?

If you’re fighting for change to align with your new spiritual understanding, and I’m fighting for change to align with a spiritual (or other-defined) understanding that does not agree with yours…we’re just perpetuating the never-ending-war-story of humanity – so, what improvement could be achieved?

Political activism means – you fighting for what you want…and lording your temporal understanding of some topic over others (that apparently need your guidance).
Maybe you’re right…and they are wrong.
I, however, would rather be shown (given the opportunity to understand & then choose) than told…

Nevertheless – do what you will – else…why be here?

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

For my own reasons, I do not think it's impossible for a single person or a small group of people to change the world. A quick glance at history tells us that this is actually very profoundly true. Oppenheimer, Einstein, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr., Karl Marx, John Locke, or heck, how about Buddha, Mohammed or Jesus if one believes that they all did, in fact, exist on at least a human level? Our entire history on all levels, from sociological, philosophical, technological, and more, started out as a single idea that came to the mind of one person and spread out from there through diffusion.

The world is ever changing because the ideas that propel such things are constantly flowing from a massive variety of sources. The world is never stagnant or fixed. Such a thing would be impossible. While it does have great meaning to change oneself first, we must understand that we do not exist in independent little bubbles. Our interactions, discourse, and exchange of ideas both influence others to either share or reject those ideas that we hold. When an idea is accepted and better yet, admired, the odds of that idea being spread is the greatest. It's the way societies work.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I think the world is on the cusp of great changes and hence many theories about the way forward are emerging. I voice my opinions for 2 reasons: 2 tell people ideas I have and to get feedback on them.

I think eventually a large group (such as the west, the east, the poor, the rich, christians, capitalists) will latch onto an idea and start to push it. This idea probably wont be a sentence written down but something that has developed from discussions and actions.

I hope it will be one that does not forsake the teachings that put us on better paths, gives more fairness, stops suffering and allows us to develop more freely than past ideas. I also hope its not stupid enough to try and enforce a non-religions law or ban God. As far as implementing such things is more difficult to consider because as mentioned everyone else has their own theories and the barriers to a large movement are tough ones.

Possibly we are just conditioned to be ready for a NWO

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by letmeon

Thanks for the uplifting post. Good for you. I would say that you if you don't want to change the world through war, then you need to manipulate people so that it happens without them realising they are being herded.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

werewolf99
reply to post by letmeon

Thanks for the uplifting post. Good for you. I would say that you if you don't want to change the world through war, then you need to manipulate people so that it happens without them realising they are being herded.

Not necassarily herded, or even manipulated. He is free to make up his own mind, just trying to give him a positive spin maybe he can gravitate off of or something. Read two or three of his other threads the other day and posted on one then today was reading a thread right before this he posted on. A ten year depression, and he is encouraging people just to give up. He said that this thread was about political activism but he mentions his everyday life. Satisfied or content with a menial job and no girl. With capitalism we can strive to make more money or get the girl after are journey whatever it may be. Shouldn't just give up , life is a gift and no one knows how long we all have here so Carpe Diem seize the day. You got to be excited about something. I talked to a lot of people " in group" for substance abuse and other things and hearing people say " they are not happy" or " they don't want to live anymore" . It's small groups with local people, but I try to help people, for whatever reason we are all on this thread right now here online like a community. Just trying to help out.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Well said!!! All we need to do is concentrate on 'who we are - I am that I am' and simply be a witness to events without forming attachments.
We come into this world alone and we shall leave this world alone - the question is: 'What do we take with us?'

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

quedup

Well said!!! All we need to do is concentrate on 'who we are - I am that I am' and simply be a witness to events without forming attachments.
We come into this world alone and we shall leave this world alone - the question is: 'What do we take with us?'

Hrmm, well that kind of thinking didn't work out so well when a few in the Free Speech and Counter Culture movements of the 70's decided to do that. Turned them into Yippies, which later became Yuppies and well, those are the kind of guys that are basically stomping everybody's faces. See Jerry Rubin. He went from political activist to Apple Investor pretty darn quick thanks to Werner Erhard's EST:
www.motherjones.com...

So no, I don't think we should necessarily drink that kool aid again as it just flat out backfired but that's just my opinion. Oh and it created the "ME" generation...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
To answer the title question. I try and think of ways to change the world every day. It's all I do in my spare time.

To try to minimize your life down to living frugally.

Being in the bottom 1% of income, I already do this.

Is political activism worth your time or is it pointless?

I think quite a bit about politics, however I don't get overly involved with day to day activities or lobbying congressmen. I came to the conclusion the system is broken, so outside of arguing politics with people in open forums like radio talk shows or forums with decent readerships, I don't do a whole lot. If it's a significantly important issue that there's no going back from (like CISPA) I do lobby congressmen because I would never forgive myself if it passed but for the most part my political activism revolves around getting a better understanding as to how politics works and coming up with what would be a better system, opposed to making arguments that continue the current broken system.

Do you care about career and affording a nice home etc? (especially if you don't have that now)

Career wise there's things I would like to do that I haven't yet done. My field is game design and I took studying for it pretty seriously since I have 4 (and nearly 5) degrees relating to it, those degrees gave me the skills to do virtually anything that requires a computer.

However, accomplishing goals like being able to say it was successful doesn't really appeal to me. I have certain things I want to do that I think are important and are personal goals but I'm not overly consumed with the idea of them being a financial success. Consequently I don't care about affording a nice home, I came to the conclusion long ago that due to situations in my life I'm pretty unlikely to ever be able to afford a home, nice or not (my current apartment being 78 sqft with a leaking roof, no AC, and no hot water). As a result, money means little to me, and things don't mean much either. I move on average once per 18 months and have my entire life. I have a rule whenever I move that I'll take 1 car load worth of stuff, and anything I didn't deem important enough to take, I didn't need and I throw out.

Could the world begin to become better today? Or does the world have to go downwards before it can go upwards? Passing through some kind of apocalypse. Or is it the way I feel that it is that this world can only go downwards, political activism is pointless, and all you can do is either fight for change, in which case you become that which you fight, or you give up and put your destiny in God's hand?

Well, I don't believe in any gods so I don't subscribe to the idea of putting my destiny in the hands of something that doesn't exist. From my perspective however, the world as a whole is getting better all the time. There's a certain dark side to humanty, but that side of things has less and less power every day. These days our biggest threat is from our concept of Democracy and an insufficiently informed voting base.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This police state/New world order is something that comes progressively from a set agenda.

If one wishes to change the world, they must understand the depth of the deception and agenda that they are facing. No one exactly know the depth, but it can be estimated. I have theorized such a agenda will come in five steps. The fifth being complete implementation and success, the first being conception and articulation of the idea.

the second step is to integrate the conception amongst world leaders, religious figures, corporations, the entertainment industry, military figures, and at an international level.

The third can easily be broken down into smaller steps, but for obvious reasons I've bunched it together.

The third is to create means of population reduction, control over education, labor unions, policy, technology, media, medicine, law enforcement, etc, etc. Psyops, predictive programming, illusion of freedom, loss of inalienable freedoms and liberties, dominant control of the world leaders, disarming the population, destruction of family, 33 percent of populace dependent on state, medication and invented mental illnesses for the masses.

Fourth step is implementation of a digital currency over paper. Mass dependence on the state. Total dependence on technology. Liberties replaced with false needs of security. 75% of masses dependent on state healthcare. Complete disarmament. Population reduction world wide. This list can go on.

Fifth is full implementation.

Much of this is subjective to me and not completely in context. But things can still change. We are still in the lower end of the third step. If even .5% of the population takes a stand in one portion of the globe, it can fall on it's face. Th problem is not taking a stand though, it's stopping this from repeating itself in history and reversing the damage already done.

We are too divided through religion and programming to unite and make a difference in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

brojose
If one wishes to change the world, they must understand the depth of the deception and agenda that they are facing. No one exactly know the depth, but it can be estimated. I have theorized such a agenda will come in five steps. The fifth being complete implementation and success, the first being conception and articulation of the idea.

All you need to change the world is a good idea and a delivery mechanism. In this case the internet works for delivery, so all you need is an idea. Look at Bitcoin, it has redefined money and if the NWO is a thing, has single handily set them back. There's now a currency out there that's not under the control of any nation to corrupt.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Excellent response. The beginning of this clip says it all when it comes to changing the world. A person is smart but as a group were a mess.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

brojose

All you need to change the world is a good idea and a delivery mechanism. In this case the internet works for delivery, so all you need is an idea. Look at Bitcoin, it has redefined money and if the NWO is a thing, has single handily set them back. There's now a currency out there that's not under the control of any nation to corrupt.

I agree with this to a point, I think we are screaming out for a better idea but its not just as easy as getting the idea out, there will or could be great opposition to a good idea for some.

I truly think we have to agree on principals before we can move forward> How we deal with Religion, Who make the laws> How we deal with the less fortunate in our societies and how much influence and credit? do we give to achievers.

Someone or somehow to get the publics opinion geographically and globally.
I think if you could get local achievers on board (like say freemasons, bankers, business men) then you might be able to have a go at higher level authority if they opposed.

<<   2 >>

join