It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here Comes Ion!!!! Look Out Midwest US and Ontario Canada!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Ion is a similar name to that of dearly departed Comet Ison, whose debris trail may doubly whammy impact Earth in the next few weeks. Could this be a dress rehearsal for the real deal?

On Friday, the governor of Minnesota shut down all public schools state wide this coming Monday and all state employees are encouraged to take a vacation day if they are able. We're used to negative double digit wind chill temps this time of year, also there's no snow in the forecast...

Kinda makes me wonder.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
In western Kentucky we had a sunny, balmy-feeling day in the 40s today. My Beloved took the opportunity to move the last of last year's woodpile onto the porch while I filled a couple of extra woodboxes and moved them indoors. Our forecast says single digits tomorrow so opening the door several times a day to go outside for wood just doesn't make sense.
Went grocery shopping yesterday---WOW!!!---I think the folks in my area were taking the watches/warnings pretty seriously. Maybe the '09 Ice Storm is still recent enough to be in memory for them.
We have food, wood, chocolate and books----good to go!
Keep safe all! And remember to keep pets safe as well.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I'll tell you what i find alarming about all the snow and rain storms being experienced lately...that people find it shocking during the middle of Winter.

Yes, stock up on supplies to keep warm and feed yourselves if the power goes out...which since you probably own a calendar, you ought to already have anyway.

Blimey...cold weather in Winter, the world really is going down the pan.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by diggindirt

Also a good idea to charge all your battery operated stuff: phones, kindles, whatever.
I also bought a battery backup to be able to charge my phone if the power goes......nothing like having NO phone service.

Even if the power stays, no one should HAVE to go out the day after the storm for food.....a little common sense goes a long way.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

It's not just cold weather in winter, which I think everyone knows to expect, it's life-threatening conditions that are above and beyond the elements we usually experience.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

DontTreadOnMe

Also a good idea to charge all your battery operated stuff: phones, kindles, whatever.
I also bought a battery backup to be able to charge my phone if the power goes......nothing like having NO phone service.

Even if the power stays, no one should HAVE to go out the day after the storm for food.....a little common sense goes a long way.

Indeed!
For me it's easy since I don't have all those battery-operated leashes---just a landline with a buried cable so it isn't affected by weather.
As you say---common sense---it's just sad that in my family it seems that common sense is no longer common. I learned that sad lesson during the '09 IceMare. We had 2 full days of warnings on radio, tv and newspapers and yet I had 5 family members who had to be housed and fed because they blew off the warnings. Yes, it was the younger generation---not us seniors.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

DontTreadOnMe

I bought everyone in my family one of these a few years back. Everyone loves them, except my dog who freaks out by the crank sound. These multi-purpose weather radios have really come down in price and and will charge any USB device such as a cell phone, Kindle, tablet, MP3 player, etc., by crank. Your arm will probably get tired so be forewarned. I can't vouch for solar because I live in a dark, cloudy place and have never tried to rely on solar, but it may work weather permitting...

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hurdygurdy

Nice, mine is from CCrane and has a flash light too. I once got a station over in London or something, it was wild.

www.rei.com...:tracki ngCode=B0760F20-F866-E111-88CA-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=20834197840&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=39033357040&m sid=B9hxJHVf_dc|pcrid|20834197840|&[copy:s_kwcid]

Not sure if that LOOONg link will work...
edit on pm131pmSat, 04 Jan 2014 19:11:02 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Cold now and a freezing drizzle coming down. Have started dripping water. The atmosphere in the house has a chill even though the heater is on and a fire in the woodstove. It is not cold yet but we are all showered, layered comfy's and socks. I will check back periodically unless I cant.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Hope everyone is safe and warm. We've had about 4 inch's of snow here. Suppose to get more but, we will see.

Waiting for the deep freeze, and hoping we don't get any frozen pipes.

I wanted to let all you folks with cabin fever know that the SciFi channel has the 2012 movie. I've seen it a couple of times.

Since I'm stuck indoors tonight. I thought it would be a nice cozy movie. LOL

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hurdygurdy

the problem with the solar ones...you have to have real sun.
not gonna happen in the winter...or doing rainy weather.
So, how much cranking do you have to do????

I got one that charges by plugging into the wall, but it's supposed to charge a phone 3 or 4 times.
RAVpower

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

We got around 5 inches last night and another 3-5 is gonna drop today before the temps drop. Watching the weather channel and they just said -60 tomorrow!

I finished my furnace so my ole lady is a happy camper!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

With the temps tomorrow, I'd say you'll be happy too

Snowing here in MI now....but only lightly and about an inch or two.
Supposedly should be done in about 15 hours.
And the heaviest late this afternoon.
Glad I don't have to do rush hour traffic tomorrow....

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Not gonna lie, I did a happy dance when I fired up the new furnace!

Finished it in the 11th hour.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I just moved from Wisconsin to Florida about a month ago, people here get all bundled up at around 55 degrees, I just wear a pair of shorts, windbreaker and no shirt, just freezing is tolerable enough which seldom occurs.

Have all the survival stuff too, or most of it...Didn't leave much behind, only what wouldn't fit into my trailer.

I lived in Florida for 8 years, went back north for just under 3, couldn't take the winters anymore, it took all spring and half the summer to get back into shape just to go back into storage for 4 to 6 months.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Here's a storm article from wunderground.

Ion's upper-level energy, which brought snow to the Rockies through the Central Plains and into the Great Lakes on Saturday, will pivot eastward through the nation's midsection Sunday. As a result, the primary low pressure center will continue to intensify as it tracks northeast, reaching the Cincinnati area around 7 p.m. Sunday and Toronto by 4 a.m. Monday.
~~~~~~~~~~
By the time the storm winds down, we will see a wide area of 5 to 12 inches from eastern Missouri to Illinois, Indiana, northern and western Ohio and southern Lower Michigan. This includes St. Louis; Champaign, Ill.; Indianapolis; Toledo, Ohio; Cleveland; and Detroit.

www.wunderground.com...

The article continues to report what the storm is expected to do as it marches north and east.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Here in washington state I feel left out. We only get 2 inches of snow twice a year . We have the heat from the pacific ocean to make us permanent 45 degrees all winter long. People in the mid, and east are lucky. You get weather drama. Here near seattle we get dull dull 45 degree clowdy.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

DontTreadOnMe

Haha! We did go to do our usual shopping today. That said, we got about 2 to 3 inches of light powder, and when we left, it wasn't all that cold. The sun was just starting to peak out and wind was just starting to pick up. We bundled up the kiddo and left.

By the time we got done shopping, the real cold was moving in and the temperature had dropped appreciably. We quickly bundled the kid into the car and we are not going anywhere! We've been running a humidifier in our house pretty regularly because someone has had a cough for the past two or three months, and the condensation on the windows (you can't keep them wiped off no matter how hard you try) is freezing in some of the cooler rooms, it's that cold.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It was a rainy, dreary but relatively warm day, in the mid 30sF but just before sundown the cold front arrived and it is now 25 F with freezing rain, sleet and a few flakes mixed in.
I have a pot of cider mulling near the fireplace, plenty of wood in the boxes, and a pot of ham and bean soup.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Snowing pretty hard here now....my husband has done the snow three times....easier to do when there's only an inch or two at a time.
Temp still at 30F.

In past winters, we've boiled a pot of water in the morning to get the humidity up.
Not so this winter....maybe that's why we have a bit of a dry cough???

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join