It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man attacked by robber, fights back, is charged with murder

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The District of Columbia, where self-defense is a legal nightmare claims another victim in tow truck driver 35 year old Corey Stoddard. While Stoddard was inside a fenced tow lot he found himself under attack by an assailant with a gun. Using the only means he had to defend himself Stoddard is still being charged with 2nd degree murder.

Stoddard attempted to run away but tripped and fell. Crouch repeatedly struck him in the head with the gun according to the Washington Post. Finally, Stoddard flung his wallet towards a fence and Crouch ran after it. While Crouch was distracted, Stoddard climbed in to a tow truck and ran over his assailant. Crouch died from his injuries a few hours later.

dailycaller.com...

If someone has a gun I would assume they would be willing to shoot with it as well as hit you in the head. Fearing he would be shot I don't think he had a choice but to do what he did. He has a ready-made defense after getting smacked in the noggin. Use whatever you have on hand, right?

Turns out his assailant was convicted of car jacking in 2009 as a 17 year old who spent 4 years in a youth facility, several gun and assault charges were dropped as part of a plea deal. Our institutions fail miserably at changing behaviors of criminals. Most seem to view jail as "crime college" where one can learn many tricks of the trade.

2nd degree murder though? Doesn't seem right to me.
edit on 4-1-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Finally, Stoddard flung his wallet toward a fence, and Crouch ran after it. While Crouch was distracted, Stoddard climbed into his tow truck and ran over his assailant. Crouch died from his injuries a few hours later.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

Why didn't he drive away?

Because he was assaulted, he had the right to take that man's life? With a ton or more of metal behind him?

IMO he's being charged for the use of excessive force. I don't see any reason that he needed to kill him, if he was able to get back into his truck an drive the thing.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

The issue is right there. The perpetrator ran after the wallet so was no longer threatening the victim. When the victim got into the vehicle and ran over the prep their rolls became reversed and the perpetrator became the victim while the victim is now the perpetrator. Clear as daylight.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

tothetenthpower

Finally, Stoddard flung his wallet toward a fence, and Crouch ran after it. While Crouch was distracted, Stoddard climbed into his tow truck and ran over his assailant. Crouch died from his injuries a few hours later.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

Why didn't he drive away?

Because he was assaulted, he had the right to take that man's life? With a ton or more of metal behind him?

IMO he's being charged for the use of excessive force. I don't see any reason that he needed to kill him, if he was able to get back into his truck an drive the thing.

~Tenth

EXACTLY. He got into the vehicle he should have driven away but he didn't. He turned on the robber and became the aggressor.

+49 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I am guessing the case rests on whether or not he could have driven away without getting shot. Tow lots usually only have one way in and if his assailant was between him and freedom then perhaps he had no choice. Then again after someone has hit you in the head multiple times I would assume they were trying to kill me, in which case I would do what I could to kill them instead.

I'm not wasting tears over someone who has already assaulted people with a gun and after being released does the same damn thing again. Many people might say Stoddard did society a favor.

He may have been very disoriented after getting hit in the head. I hope he uses that as a defense. For once the victim can claim "I couldn't control myself, I didn't know what I was doing".

We don't need to ruin 2 lives over this.
Don't go assaulting people with a gun and they won't kill you in self defense.
The kid brought this on himself.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Let's just ignore the fact that the robber was no longer waving a gun in this guy's face and ignore that fact that the robber was now occupied with getting the wallet and had in fact left the victim to pursue the wallet. Let's ignore the fact that the victim had the option of putting this vehicle in reverse and fleeing the scene where he could have then gone to LE and gotten them to handle the situation. If he had turned this guy's gun around and the prep ended up dead from a gunshot wound tbat would be self defence. At the time when he decided to run this guy over he was no longer being threatened. This amounts to shooting him in the back.

+39 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
To those that said that the dude should have driven away...the instigator now had his wallet- with ID and address information. How could the victim be certain that guy wouldn't come after him in his home, after an attack like that?

Good riddance to rubbish, imo. I hope the tow-truck driver gets let off.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I could see the man thinking that the perp gets the wallet then comes back over to shoot him, even if he attempts to flee in the truck. If the perp had been fleeing is one thing but I can see the man feeling the threat of deadly force is still there.

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Is Stoddard legally responsable for what he did? Sure.
Would I sentence him to prison? Absolutely not.

I can understand he was probably scared and MAYBE took it a little too far, but what was the alternative, let the criminal go?

That's the risk you have to take if you want to rob people instead of, you know, getting a job.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
I'm not wasting tears over someone who has already assaulted people with a gun and after being released does the same damn thing again. Many people might say Stoddard did society a favor.

And how would he have known that? He didn't. This was revenge, not self defense.

We don't need to ruin 2 lives over this.
Don't go assaulting people with a gun and they won't kill you in self defense.
The kid brought this on himself.

If he hadn't run over the dude NO ONE'S life would have been ruined. But I can see the point that gun supporters have made. They are right. If one is going to kill someone they don't need a gun to do it. This dude used a truck.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

MadHatter364
I can understand he was probably scared and MAYBE took it a little too far, but what was the alternative, let the criminal go?

So the citizenry are now to act as the police? What's next? Blowing a neighbor away if they are doing drugs? "Hell, cops never see it, can't let them get away with that."

Man, the court of public opinion is out of control.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
The issue is right there. The perpetrator ran after the wallet so was no longer threatening the victim. When the victim got into the vehicle and ran over the prep their rolls became reversed and the perpetrator became the victim while the victim is now the perpetrator. Clear as daylight.

Clear as daylight?

You ever been robbed or pistol-whipped? Ever hear of a marvelous little substance called adrenaline?

We have the absolute right of self defense. When the bad guys open a can-o-worms, they deserve what follows. As far as I can see, the only thing this man did wrong was to report this event. He should have planted the perp with a shovel.

ATS: My script blocker is stopping external scripts from doubleclick, google analytics, google api's, real media, etc. Why does this prevent the ability to "star" posts?

edit on 4-1-2014 by juspassinthru because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Taking a life is very serious thing and I do see the point in driving away, however we don't know all the circumstances; where the attacker was relative to the truck he got in and which way he would have to drive to escape.
Was the attacker in his path of escape? I think that is the big question at hand.
I hope Stoddard gets a trial by jury so the people can decide whether he was justified in his actions or not. Given all the relevant facts juries usually deliver a fair verdict on the accused.

I've spent too much time myself in parts of D.C. you don't want to be in after dark. I don't really care to ever go back again even though 9:30 Club was one of the best music venues on the East Coast.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
Taking a life is very serious thing and I do see the point in driving away, however we don't know all the circumstances; where the attacker was relative to the truck he got in and which way he would have to drive to escape.
Was the attacker in his path of escape? I think that is the big question at hand.

I find it funny that those here that say he did the right thing are giving this guy ALL the benefit of the doubt but aren't asking any questions that may show this dude is a murderer. Was the truck was facing away from this guy? Did the guy have his back to the truck?

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
the only thing I would have done different, would be to back up and run over him again to make sure he wouldn't shoot me. screw that guy, these guys need to know that if they attack someone, they can and will be killed...don't want to be killed, don't attack someone...pretty simple to me

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Hushabye
To those that said that the dude should have driven away...the instigator now had his wallet- with ID and address information. How could the victim be certain that guy wouldn't come after him in his home, after an attack like that?

Good riddance to rubbish, imo. I hope the tow-truck driver gets let off.

I agree with the last line wholeheartedly, the driver did society a favour but lets be honest, he didnt die because of self defence he died because of revenge.

He didnt know the guys background, whether he was a previous criminal, whether he had a chance of rehabilitation etc etc he killed him in cold blood and needs to face the consequences of his actions as the robber faced the consequences of his.

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

My reply, from reading those that have replied so far, will not make me a popular person. But, if you attack me with a gun, and I can kill you, I will. Even if you are in the process of leaving. By bringing something to the situation that threatens to take my life, I will take yours. If that means I will pay for being a murderer then so be it. There is no moral dilemma for me in a life threatening situation.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

In the eyes of the laws "stand your ground" only comes into play when you are cornered and have no other recourse.

This man was able to get into his truck which means he was able to get away without killing the guy.

I know it sucks, but by the law that is how they see it.

edit on 4-1-2014 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

HandyDandy

Let me guess:

Assailant was black

Defendant was white

Let me guess:

You didn't check the source material.

The defendant is black.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

intrepid

HandyDandy

Let me guess:

Assailant was black

Defendant was white

Let me guess:

You didn't check the source material.

The defendant is black.

Quick on the draw there skippy. Check the edit......

BTW, I wouldn't be "guessing" if I had now would I?

It was a prediction. One that was incorrect.
edit on 4-1-2014 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join