It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any one else getting fed up with the 'search function' besides me????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Sorry guys, but I am getting really frustrated with the new search function since the launch of ATS 5.3

I've been getting more 'Misses' then 'Hits' with it
Numerous threads of late being duplicates

And it makes me look like I don't search for same topic threads, but I do, I really do
I'll even change the wording around to see if anything comes up
Some one even suggested checking Google to see if an ATS link for it comes up

I hate when I screw up and this just makes me feel bad when I get the message 'thread closed'-duplicate thread here-

My apologies for past and future duplicate threads

I may hold off for a while to make another thread, or at least until my conscience feels better

Once again, my apologies to the MODS as well as other posters for unsuccessful searches which led to duplicate threads -- many posters are quick to let you know it's a duplicate
Some are nice about it, some are not
Oh well, no big deal....just another day here on ATS, move along now. LOL.

Okay, deep breath *inhale* *exhale* ......rant over

Thanks for listening........er, reading

Much respect~
snarky

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'll just be happy if people don't post new threads that are already mirrored in the 'New' links merely hours earlier.

And yeah, the search function isn't the best. Google got nuthin' to worry about. Nor Bing.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

The old ATS search is still operational. Maybe give that a spin?

ask.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Try this one....it's an older search feature, but works great.

ask.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Bin ongoing for years so don't expect instant gratification.
Use Google instead. Way more functional and actually works.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Actually, that might have been you that suggested that to another poster that I read and since then, that's what I do along with 'search'......I check out the new threads page as well

Thanks~
snarky

------------

reply to post by _BoneZ_

Appreciate the link....will bookmark it for future use!!

Thankyou

edit on 3-1-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Its not necessarily the search functions fault, people sometimes post the same article under completely different titles, I think its unfair for us to expect the ATS search to work like google.

I dont actually bother with search anymore, if Im posting news I usually just check the new topics for the past 12 hours and see if its there, that will 95 out of 100 times be an accurate indicator.

It does piss me off when I see a thread posted maybe 2 hours and only 3 threads behind on the New threads section though, a quick look would normally prevent double ups.

I think we also need to be aware that most double ups are posted by newbies, surely we can all remember the excitement we felt when we first joined and we actually came across something ATS worthy.
Id barely put a coherent OP together in my rush to get it on the boards LOL

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

_BoneZ_
ask.abovetopsecret.com...

That's the one I use. It works the best for me.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Thanks guys for your help....maybe I'll have better success in the near future
I know I'm not a newbie but sometimes I sure feel like one

I will remember to check the 'new threads page' out more thoroughly as well as use the links you guys gave me for the old search page

Much appreciation.....maybe I won't let the MODS down now. LOL.
Or myself

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I appreciate the "Rant" and the replies. I have also been guilty of duplicate posting once or twice. My mistakes are only ever visiting the "live" page and only using the current search.

All the kind replies have have shown me the error of my ways lol! Thanks OP!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think maybe the same people that set up Obamacare set up the new format here

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The size and complexity of ATS is a real barrier to getting a quality search.

(side rant)
There have been complaints about the advertising of late. But the sad fact is, this is a FFFF damn expensive site to keep operational to expected standards. I could cut costs by 50% by shifting to a cloud-based platform, but that would shift the dynamics of privacy too far in the wrong direction… so I don't. Suffice to say, the cost of keeping the lights on is much more than a median US annual salary.
(end rant)

The cheapest quote to provide ATS with a fully functional granular search was $6k for set-up, then $4k/month based on current number of pages (over 3 million) and average number of monthly searches. We simply can't afford something like that. I've been working on trying to cobble something better, but it takes time, and there's no end guarantee that a home-spun alternative will be cost-effective from a processing standpoint.

I know it's not ideal. But for now it's free.

PS:
The "old" ask.above… search "works" but we're no longer paying for the crawling, so it may only appear to be better.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for putting it into perspective Skep.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Thanks for the explanation SO

No complaints as far as the ads go, that I understand

I just hate to be a nuisance when a MOD has to close a thread due to being duplicated
I got some good help here tho, knew I would

Much respect~
snarky

BTW: Like your new avi ...awesome!!
Don't give into the Beast, huh?!!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

*BOW*

I had no idea the expense was that great! I have my own business and can only afford a free website that doesn't even come up in a engine searchh unless it's put in exactly right, so it's kinda pointless to even search for it. I know websites are expensive, but like I said, I had no idea ATS was so expensive.

My late New Year's Resolution is to purchase at least one thing from an ad here, from here... I think we should all make that a goal just out of simple gratitude.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I've never had much luck with the search here as results aren't returned in any (to me anyway) order - specifically post date order would be helpful.

I've stopped trying at all with the new version.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

haha you're lucky.

I have looked all over and can NOT find a search thing anywhere. Even the drop down white arrow by "Logout'', there is no search option. I gave up a while ago on finding it.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I just planted the old search engine link into my signature, in the -- between the two topics on the second line. Now all I have to do to get to that search is to click on the -- and I'm there!

top topics

join