It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tepco Quietly Admits Reactor 3 Could Be Melting Down Now

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Right now though nuclear power is the best producer of electricity and the cheapest.

Hello AutumnWitch and thank you for your reply. In what respect do you consider it the cheapest form of fuel. Fukushima could render an entire ocean off limits for food. It could render a country uninhabitable. It could increase cancer levels globally for generations to come. In what way do you consider this cheap... Do you know how much it cost to decommission a nuclear power station or store spent fuel. Do you know who pays for it.. Nuclear energy is not cheap. It is energy on credit and there will be payback..

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

And you know that the damage was so severe how?

How long ago was TMI? I was in grade school when that meltdown happened, and they JUST were able to lower a camera into the reactor vessel to see the damage that's going on almost 40 years now, fo you to be able to say with certainly that the corium breached the bottom or that the bottom of containment was so damaged means you must have the best set of eyes on the planet to be able to see through that which others cannot.

Before I jet trounced upon and called a shill or whatever.

NOBODY is denying that the reactor suffered some sort of criticality in the day and days after the Tsunami. NOBODY..

NOBODY Is stating that it's all hunky dory and oh just go away it will fix itself..

NOBODY is dismissing the severity of the accident.

People are starting to however QUESTION Fairewinds motives, they are starting to QUESTION Gunderson's motives, they are starting to QUESTION the amount of radiation released, i mean you still have that stupid Tsunami height map running around as a radiation map.. and GUNDERSON IS STILL PUSHING THAT even though the NOAA has been able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was their wave predictions.. I mean c'mon now. logical, rational thought...

Let's look at a few things...

It takes TEN YEARS for a fuel rod kept in a pool of water maintained UNDER 120 degrees to cool down enough to be handled out of the cooling pool. You're all acting like this fuel should be cold and moveable, with no steam or no venting at all 2 years later? TEN YEARS MINIMUM.. The spent fuel hits 700 degrees F or so and BOOM spontaneous combustion.. SO far there's been NONE of that.

It takes a MINIMUM of 35 years to be able to even lower a camera into a partially melted down core, why oh why does anyone think we can actually look in there now 2 years later if it's as "bad as you claim" can't have it both ways people...

Someone mentioned the Japanese could care about the rest of us, BZZT wrong answer... Of course they care, they have asked many agencies and private concerns for assistance throughout the crisis..

It's an island, well yeah that's true it is.. and you know what? in 2 years cancer rates haven't risen to anywhere NEAR what they were after the US dropped a bomb on just ONE of their cities..

OH MY GOD THE WEST COAST IS GONNNNNNNA DIE!!! NO it is not, no you aren't no we aren't... the level of radiation released by Fuki is nowhere NEAR the amount released by Chernobyl or even one of the early bomb tests. You're pretty safe..... worried about it, increase your iodine intake a little..

Seriously you should read some of this stuff you guys are reposting, it looks like we've already bought the farm and are checking out yesterday......

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

TMI didn't meltdown, I live near it. Used to live right across the river from it. I live closer to the nuke plant in Luzerne County, so hopefully neither one has any problems as my region lives around the Susquehanna River and both those nuke plants are on it, which then flows into the Chesapeake Bay. The Chesapeake Bay is very polluted, so much that when we put one of our horses to sleep 2 years ago we had to have some government official come out to make sure we disposed of him properly as to not lead to any more pollution from farmers run-off. A meltdown at TMI or anywhere else would be really bad for the Atlantic Ocean, and Chesapeake, and the entire north-east.

Back to TMI, it almost melted down, they got the situation under control, and the plant still operates daily. There are 2 cooling towers however that will never be used again, that reactor was sealed and destroyed enough that it cannot operate.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

No it can't. It's Infinitesimal as far as the size and depth of the Pacific. And I was talking cost of operation.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackJackal

From information I've gathered, Xenon HAS NOT been detected in the steam coming off #3. I believe this is much worse than we've been allowed to know, but no "meltdown" is occurring at this time.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Waste disposal has to be considered in cost of operation. Otherwise you are being as disingenuous as the nuclear power industry which also does not include the cost of waste disposal in it's 'operating costs.'

You could separate the two if the waste wasn't generated, but it is...and lots of it.

Waste that is dangerous for time periods longer than we have written history for. Waste that has to be protected with warning signs that can be understood even if language drifts so far from what it is now all written warnings would no longer be understandable.

"The objective is to minimize the possibility of future human intrusion at the site; therefore, a disposal strategy needs to be developed that takes cognizance of the soundest knowledge currently available in the field of general semiotics...[which] is relevant to the problems of human interference and message exchanges involving long periods of time, over which spoken and written languages are sure to decay to the point of incomprehensibility, making it necessary to utilize a perspective that goes well beyond linguistics..."

"Atomic Priesthood" is Not Nuclear Guardianship
A Critique of Thomas Sebeok's Vision of the Future

by Susan Garfield

If we have to pay to store the byproducts for as long as we will, how in all of creation can this be considered cheap?

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

TMI was a partial meltdown, fortunately it was contained.

While we do dump nuclear waste in the ocean, it never should have happened but most of that waste is medical and not nearly as toxic as nuclear fuel. There are nuclear subs that have gone down, the amount of fuel from those guys is very small compared to what was at Fukushima, also they take out the spent fuel from nuclear subs when they are refueled.

Plutonium and its fission components have been leaking in the ocean for years now. Plutonium is considered to be the most toxic substance on Earth, this is a major problem. To say the vast ocean will dilute it to safe levels is being a little naive. Just a small amount of plutonium dust could destroy most life in Earth. This is nothing to downplay.

I'm sure in the next 5 years when cancer rates soar on the west coast of the US and Canada they will blame it on something else.

edit on 4-1-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jaffo

Who knows maby Fema region 3 is prepairing for millions of weary west coast guests.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

justreleased

ketsuko
It's ominous, but I'll wait until I get some named experts to contribute to the story until I go running for the hills.

Right.

How many comets, asteroids, volcanoes, earthquakes, wars, etc..... failed to kill us.

(knock on wood).

This is a logical fallacy. Just because those things haven't wiped us out before, doesn't mean that some of them couldn't or don't have the potential to do so. Yellowstone? I mile size asteroid?

Plus many of those natural disasters don't have the potential to spread around and effect the whole world as radiation does.

edit on 4-1-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
You said,

"What can be done about it? Aside from some Biblical miracle, Ireally don't think there is anything that can be done. Even if, by some Divine form of intervention,".......

Well, you can scratch that thought. When the Fukushima happened in 2011, I was startled with the clarity of God's (conversational voice, as I call it) Spirit said to me, "This is the beginning and it will continue to the end". Of course, I still don't know what "end" He was speaking of, but it has become obvious to me that "the beginning" meant that He was beginning to allow major darkness to have it's way in the earth so that His Plan of Redemption could be, as it were, sped up. All I can say is that folks really need to turn to God (not religion) in simple sincerity; as it's gonna be a rough ride, in 2014. May the peace of Yashua be with us all.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

The Fed wants higher housing prices. Usually the Fed gets what the Fed wants.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

edit on 4-1-2014 by Sremmos80 because: response was for different thread

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by purplemer

No it can't. It's Infinitesimal as far as the size and depth of the Pacific. And I was talking cost of operation.

When working out cost it would be more apt if environmental costs where included. There is a cost for everything and the environmental cost of nuclear energy is very high. It is not cheap.
Nor is it correct to think the oceans are Infinitesimal in size. We live on a planet of limited size of course our actions can have consequence.
edit on 4-1-2014 by purplemer because: dont dream it.. be it..!

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Why do you have to wait 35 years to put a camera into a melting core...?

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

corblimeyguvnor
reply to post by Aazadan

Facts please, it was not because of what happened in WW2. This was 3 years prior to the outbreak of WW2 and was the atrocities commited during the Second Sino-Japanese War in 1937, especially at what happened during the march to and capture of Nanking.

Even though it is so long ago the Japanese still refuse to acknowledge what happened (perhaps because it was led by and these atrocities were directly ordered by one of their emporial family ) do not apologise, and the "Prime Minister" very recently visited a shrine to the guys who commited these heneous crimes.

China have every right to dislike the Japanese, and yes ....... even today.

Do some research and tell me if you would forgive the Japanese if it were you in their place.

Take care

CbG

I personally don't need to do research, I'm jewish, I hold no animosity or dislike of Germans.

1: If any are still around they are ancient in regards to those who committed atrocities

2: Germany and it's population today, "Green" philosophy very decent people

3: I am watching first hand the people of my own country America sit back and watch our govt do despicable things and take freedoms from them and incarcerate everyone...and well, go read a few thousand threads on the subject... the point is we all sort of know, but there isn't crap we can do about it, in many ways most of us one way or another are forced to participate, no one wants their family killed or to be incarcerated etc, etc...

So bottom line... only a complete ignoramus holds a "people" responsible for what a Government gone corrupt does and there is no word for the stupidity of anyone who holds their children's, children responsible. In this case the govt of China simply uses an uninformed populace to create hate and fear... for the Governments purposes.

Am I saying Abe visiting a shrine is 100% cool... not really, but that would be like saying if I visited a holocaust victim or if a german kid kept grandpas uniform from ww2 that makes him a Nazi or me a Holocaust baiter... sometimes you honor your ancestors.

Truth be told imagine what Abe is thinking....

China rises on his West, they blatantly stir their people with anti Japanese sentiment almost 80 years later, the look East at the islands, build their military constantly, wish to allow Japan NOTHING of the local energy reserves putting the nations back against the wall, they are being aggressive economically against Japans only true ally America and indeed have a great deal of influence against your only "friend", they are allied with North korea a nation who threatens to Nuke you on a bi monthly basis...

If your in charge of Japan... do you not wonder that... Your ancestors were right?

How do we sit here and Judge the actions of Japan when we live in a nation that goes to war to secure our interests and layers nations with depleted Uranium to assure they never bounce back to threaten us?

Were the Japanese wrong? Did not Part of at least Korea go on to be a constant imminent threat? Did the Japanese not understand the nature of Chinese thinking? Know even in WW2 that the Chinese have and always will have a superiority complex with the rest of Asia, view the region as theirs and all cultures having emanated from China? That China's eyes would always be on japan and has been since antiquity?

We sit here on 20 years + of incarcerating anyone who doesn't obey, stripping people of their ability to work, vote and defend themselves... anyone who breaks the rules, basically out of the gene pool... so what are we? We figured out gassing people looks bad but if we completely disarm and disenfranchise them it's a slower elimination than a gas chamber?

I don't say these words as some... negative America kind of philosophy, I simply say we do the same exact stuff they did, every nation does when it comes time and deemed necessary for whatever reason. China will throw you in the street to build a road and run the bulldozer over you if you don't move fast enough....

Judge Japan? Claim Abe shouldn't go to shrines?

It's Japanese culture at stake, the Japanese people... It turns out, Abes ancestors were not wrong in regards to the threat to Japan.

If I stood face to Face with modern North Korea and China and my only ally basically did nothing if not outright kissed the giant Chinese hiney daily... I might be sympathetic to those ancestors too...

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

jrod
reply to post by SixX18

TMI was a partial meltdown, fortunately it was contained.

While we do dump nuclear waste in the ocean, it never should have happened but most of that waste is medical and not nearly as toxic as nuclear fuel. There are nuclear subs that have gone down, the amount of fuel from those guys is very small compared to what was at Fukushima, also they take out the spent fuel from nuclear subs when they are refueled.

Plutonium and its fission components have been leaking in the ocean for years now. Plutonium is considered to be the most toxic substance on Earth, this is a major problem. To say the vast ocean will dilute it to safe levels is being a little naive. Just a small amount of plutonium dust could destroy most life in Earth. This is nothing to downplay.

I'm sure in the next 5 years when cancer rates soar on the west coast of the US and Canada they will blame it on something else.

edit on 4-1-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

en.wikipedia.org...

A commonly cited quote by Ralph Nader, states that a pound of plutonium dust spread into the atmosphere would be enough to kill 8 billion people. However, calculations show that one pound of plutonium could kill no more than 2 million people by inhalation. This makes the toxicity of plutonium roughly equivalent with that of nerve gas.[99] Nader's views were challenged in 1976 by the American physicist Michio Kaku, which interaction he describes in his book, Nuclear Power, Both Sides: The Best Arguments for and Against the Most Controversial Technology. Kaku's own estimate is that a generally fatal dose is more like 200 milligrams.[100] Several populations of people who have been exposed to plutonium dust (e.g. people living down-wind of Nevada test sites, Nagasaki survivors, nuclear facility workers, and "terminally ill" patients injected with Pu in 1945–46 to study Pu metabolism) have been carefully followed and analyzed. These studies generally do not show especially high plutonium toxicity or plutonium-induced cancer results, such as Albert Stevens who survived into old age after being injected with plutonium.[94] "There were about 25 workers from Los Alamos National Laboratory who inhaled a considerable amount of plutonium dust during 1940s; according to the hot-particle theory, each of them has a 99.5% chance of being dead from lung cancer by now, but there has not been a single lung cancer among them."[99][101]

Additionally, while not as "theoretically" dangerous as plutonium our oceans contain large amounts of natural Uranium, in truth, long before any of this, anytime you took a dip in the ocean you ate uranium...

Truth

The chemical industry, the foods you eat, the products you buy are far more dangerous than this event because these are chemically and biologically active substances that are highly reactive in your body... in reality small amounts of radio active material wont cause cancer so long as you maintain your health, where as you have currently 100,000 chemicals running loose that your body "thinks" belongs there and attempts to use...

(not that i'm against scaring people out of Nuclear) it's crap...

Just saying "your invisible concerns " Fukushima might not make the top 20...

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackPhoenix

Oh the end is near repent now. Someone please explain why people want so badly to believe we are all going to die.They throw all rationality out the window . Do you people have any clue about how many nuclear tests have been done on the planet and we are still here.Those tests sent far more radiation into the atmosphere then this plant ever could. It just truly amazes mr how people believe bad news witout question. But tell them its ok andits some kind of conspiracy to hide the truth.
edit on 1/4/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Personally, I'm excited beyond belief. I've waited my whole life for something like this. I only know one fact about radiation and it is this: Radiation + Human = Superhero (or villain, im gonna need a sweet 'stache). I'm gonna be flyin around this b#$*, X-ray peepin at cuties in the shower, and all that good stuff in no time.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by penninja

Natural occurring Uranium has trace amounts of U-235 so it is bogus to assume that because there is already Uranium in the oceans, adding countless tons of radioactive U-235 is safe. Natural uranium used to be used in paints also.

Plutonium is highly toxic. Wiki is not a a legitimate source.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well they wouldn't call that, a China Syndrome.

What would it be, a America Syndrome.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join