It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tepco Quietly Admits Reactor 3 Could Be Melting Down Now

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Most likely, if things were to get out of control again at Fukushima, they would again, do what they did earlier, and more dump boron carbide into the areas needed to slow down the fission process.

Worse case scenario, they do what was done at Chernobyl, and dump boron carbide, limestone, lead, sand and clay. The problem is that this put a great deal of lead vapor into the atmosphere, which poisoned a lot of people with lead poisoning. This is what stopped Chernobyl from becoming a potential ELE.

Watching all of this fester, makes me think they really don't know what to do. There are a great many pieces missing from the puzzle.

I think at this point in time, the best thing is avoid eating anything from the Pacific Ocean. And, stay away from the beach, sadly.

If you move to say Brazil, to get away from Fukushima, you will miss out on your kids getting super powers.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

This is the kind of information I think one can trust.

Thanks for putting this out here.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by hidingthistime

East to the Inland.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

You tell me to educate myself on the subject, but one of the greatest man made disasters in human history has happened as a result of them building this nuclear plant where they did... So you can go on and on about geo thermal this and that, but ultimately, they didn't take into account disasters on the scale of the EQ that happened off the coast of Japan that started a chain event of Tsunami's, after shocks, and many other horrible things that have not only hurt the country of Japan, but have now threatened the rest of the world... So, you can say it was a good decision all you want, I just flat out disagree with you after seeing the results we have (and knowing that it likely will get far worse)...

And I do admit I am not an expert on the subject, I'm just an outsider looking in, I could be wrong with everyone I've wrote, but these are my feelings/opinions on building a nuclear plant in a EQ zone that has a long history of devastating tsunami's
edit on 5-1-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Super powers are worth it

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
first the good news

this is supposedly nothing new - in other words no "event" has occurred - just a bubble of increased exposure over old news re-wrapped as current events - there is periodic ground steam at Fukushima being released into the air unfiltered - and has been for some time - and the worst case scenario was confirmed mid 2013 yet didn't "sink in" until the last quarter of 2013 due to the new spotlight pointed at Fukushima over the extraction of fuel rods at unit 4 gearing up

three reactors are now said to have endured full meltdowns in the first few days - periodic steam has been seen for a long time - but because there was no confirmation of "escaped reactor cores" breaching containment and burning its way down into the ground underneath the plant - the steam really never was officiated a cause - be it heated rubble or the worst case scenario - and TEPCO has also been doing all of their progress in full damage control mode to protect their assets - masked as Japanese pride IMHO

Bottom line:

it is a new form of the Sorcha Fall effect (story from the fringe gets picked up by MSM and then that story gets empowered and goes viral) - Turner Radio Network has been putting out the usual "the world is ending" news for a while now - this time it was this story they posted and I don't know why, but some ecological website picked this story up - that there is a new meltdown at unit 3 - while it is already confirmed that unit 3 endured core meltdown in the first few days of the disaster

in yet another unexplainable facepalm move - Gizmodo sees the story on the ecological website and picks it up and runs with it and Gizmodo is in the top 300 most viewed websites on the planet - so it goes viral, probably due to three factors - the Lawsuit against TEPCO by US navy personnel - TEPCO is still mid operations at unit 4 removing fuel rods (scary stuff) - the MSM media blackout on how messed up all of this is

the spotlight this has put on TRN has prompted a response from them over fear-mongering claims and they have:

Gee Whiz! If radiation from Fukuishima is "Nothing to Worry About" why is the Federal Government buying 14 Million Potassium Iodine Pills and having them shipped to a warehouse outside Washington , DC? What you can do to protect yourself and family

so that's the good news - nothing new - no changes have happened

in fact expect more of it - as every new story of Pacific marine life death/mutation makes news - it will continue to be tied to Fukushima by assumption alone - as these stories accumulate, the poison pacific meme will gain steam and continue to re-emerge - stronger each time - I expect it to be crazy enough to carve out a new genre of conspiracy in and of itself, to spread beyond even Fukushima, watch Hanford Site in Washington as a flashpoint too

the bad news is:

well it is all much worse in general and a lot of this is spin and focus point manipulation/diversion IMHO if basic common sense is to be followed

* 3 missing cores buried beneath the plant in constant unfiltered exposure to the environment, molten and going nowhere but farther away from any hope of future containment - all while the world fears the possible failure of nuclear containment from moving fresh & spent fuel rods - because they would be exposed to the air when much worse is already the case right now x3 at least, accompanied by concerns over 'hydrovolcanic' explosions blowing the entire plant sky high upon aquifer breach - if other rods missing are considered x4000? The criticality of an airborne exposure just means a more in your face, more intense, quicker release that would spread atmospherically compared to the much slower release in play now, since it is all cumulative, it doesn't really matter where exposure comes from, as only the speed of global radiation poisoning would be exponentially accelerated; the worse case scenario worried about here is the apocalyptic result of the necessary abandonment of the plant in case of an accident, be it man made or natural - no need to go there - it could just simply mean game over

* debated missing fuel rods from affected fuel pools unaccounted for due to hydrogen explosions (confirmed detonations at unit 3) in the first days of the disaster go unmentioned (rumored to be in a radius of 300 meters to 8kms from the blast site) as the world bites their fingernails over protected fuel rods still left intact and being removed at unit 4 - all while there are possibly countless rods or pieces of shattered rods unaccounted for already having been exposed and still wreaking havoc in unknown locations, presumably near half of them at least beneath the waves of the pacific, adjacent to the plant itself within the unknown radius affected at Fukushima

* the steam being released is from the ground and infrastructure because of alleged fission taking place below ground under the plant at the least, leaking out through cracks in the earth when it rains as that water vaporizes on contact, while 400 metric tons of water is pumped into the cores daily as well - not to mention ground water reactions affecting the water tables coming off the mountain - being treated as new news when this has been happening since the first few days of the disaster - 24/7/365

well it is just down right catastrophic - the worst it could be really...other than just adding to the number of molten cores having escaped containment and into the ground exposed to the world with no chance of stopping it currently

if there are aliens protecting this planet from NUKEs - then I suppose this is the best you can get in terms of "will they show up to help" if the # were to hit the fan

sadly, no increase in UFO reports around Fukushima that I have stumbled across

on a positive note (er I think):

no one really knows what will happen in these uncharted waters, most of the alarmist material comes from those uneducated in nuclear decay among the various known isotopes with a long or short half-life, revealing that the fallout is very difficult to predict, but expect it and prepare even - it took some 12 years to fully assess a much more minor incident at Three Mile Island - this has all turned into one huge near un-approchable lab in which we will get to discover what happens to an ocean continually exposed to unfiltered radioactive fallout - not to mention Japan herself, and her people

for event highlights: VIDEO

my two cents
edit on 5/1/2014 by _Heretic because: DOH - couldn't embed youtube video

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The timing couldn't be much more perfect, we will all be watching the news about fukushima (if it turns out they melted down and are completely out of control) while our economy collapses the rest of the way, and we may not notice....

There is a lot around here that is about to go sideways as it is without fukushima being on everyone's mind.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Chernobyl proved that
reply to post by vkey08

Chernobyl caused the evacuation (permanantly) of a city of 60,000 people. The area will have to be monitored for THOUSANDS of years. The danger it poses has not gone anywhere....it is still there under a massive concrete shroud.

Fukashima is orders of magnitude worse than Chernobyl...and there is no possibility, due to the massive damage to the structures, to cap these 4 reactors with concrete. Not to mention it's proximity to the Pacific ocean, which adds major complications that the Russians didn't have to deal with. Given the criminal incompetence shown by the Japanese government and Tepco....I have little faith that they will be able to deal with this problem as efficiently as the Russians did.

So I stand by my initial assesment that this could lead to an ELE.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

jhn7537
You tell me to educate myself on the subject, but one of the greatest man made disasters in human history has happened as a result of them building this nuclear plant where they did... So you can go on and on about geo thermal this and that, but ultimately, they didn't take into account disasters on the scale of the EQ that happened off the coast of Japan that started a chain event of Tsunami's, after shocks, and many other horrible things that have not only hurt the country of Japan, but have now threatened the rest of the world... So, you can say it was a good decision all you want, I just flat out disagree with you after seeing the results we have (and knowing that it likely will get far worse)...

And I do admit I am not an expert on the subject, I'm just an outsider looking in, I could be wrong with everyone I've wrote, but these are my feelings/opinions on building a nuclear plant in a EQ zone that has a long history of devastating tsunami's
edit on 5-1-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

Greatest disaster by what metric? As a localized area? Sure it was catastrophic, as was Chernobyl. In terms of total release? We pump out significantly more hazardous material, including radioactive material from the exhaust of coal plants (yes, even "clean coal") than we do from nuclear. Seriously look at the death index for power generation.

As for threatening the rest of the world, the Fukushima effect on the rest of us is pretty minor, certainly not enough to worry about. It's also worth pointing out that Fukushima was 40 years old using technology that was 50 years old. There have been MASSIVE improvements to nuclear reactors since it was built which significantly improve efficiency and safety. However we don't have any of those plants in the US, which is unfortunate.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

So you believe the Fukushima effect on the rest of the world will be minor, why are you so confident? Have you not seen any of the effects that have been seen in the US alone? Or the dead creatures being found on the ocean floor in the Pacific (We had a ATS thread on that earlier this week)...

My question to you is, do you believe the below article is total crap or just fear mongering? If so, why do you believe this? And, would you believe what TEPCO/Govt's would say about the disaster, would you trust their stance on it and the data/info they're sharing with the public? Govt's have been known to keep the truth away from people, so I really doubt anything they say or promote nowadays. I

Article that's been on ATS

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Vasa Croe
Been posted about at least a few times already...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
. Yeah, but this is the topic to end all topics.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jaffo

Perhaps...so have we.

O.o

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

jhn7537
reply to post by Aazadan

So you believe the Fukushima effect on the rest of the world will be minor, why are you so confident? Have you not seen any of the effects that have been seen in the US alone? Or the dead creatures being found on the ocean floor in the Pacific (We had a ATS thread on that earlier this week)...

My question to you is, do you believe the below article is total crap or just fear mongering? If so, why do you believe this? And, would you believe what TEPCO/Govt's would say about the disaster, would you trust their stance on it and the data/info they're sharing with the public? Govt's have been known to keep the truth away from people, so I really doubt anything they say or promote nowadays. I

Article that's been on ATS

I think the article is written by people who don't know any better. I'll be the first to say I don't know everything, but at the same time the majority of people writing on the internet including that articles author don't either. Japan certainly isn't helping matters. TEPCO has been incompetent, slow with information, and now has the state secrets act to protect it, however it is possible to still determine just how bad things are with some extrapolation. At the rate Fukushima is leaking radioactive water, it would take 10 years (and eventually we will get to this point) for it to reach 1 part per 720 billion, and that's only assuming all the material stays in the Pacific Ocean and doesn't travel worldwide. The ocean is quite large.

To address the points in that article that I can:

1. Plenty of researchers have also shown radiation to NOT be elevated. A handful see higher readings, this is attributable to people who don't know how to use their equipment properly. If the claim were true everyones readings would be elevated.

3. I completely believe this claim, people have an irrational fear of radiation. It's an intangible killer that you never really heal from and causes cumulative damage. Pretty scary really. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a push to get any thing involving radiation out of the news in order to prevent a panic. The reality isn't nearly as scary as that description would first have you believe.

4. I'm not sure who I believe here, the opinion of a lot of shipmates of those affected is that they were making it up. That said, I can totally see it being the case, however you have to remember that the navy went through a concentrated plume of radiation because it had to get very close to the plant, as that plume dilutes through the atmosphere so does the effect. By the time it crosses the Pacific Ocean it's no more harmful to us than Chernobyl was.

5. The starfish claim is crap. The issue started a year before Fukushima happened and was first observed in the Atlantic Ocean.

6. The Bald Eagle phenomenon doesn't have the symptoms of radiation sickness. Even if it did, as was already established the radiation from Fukushima is very diluted by the time it reaches the US and it doesn't discriminate by species. It would be happening to all animals, and the source would more likely be something domestic.

7-8. Birds fall out of the sky and die in large numbers all the time, sometimes they're explained and sometimes they aren't. Usually this has more to do with factory pollutants however, notice there's no mention of radiation testing these birds. It's also worth pointing out that the wind currents blow from Japan to China not Japan to Alaska.

9-12. This is a symptom of pollution, I think mercury can cause it. Radiation can cause burns but doesn't really create open sores.

18-20. These are very poor sources,

21. "An experienced Australian adventurer" offered his opinion and inferred it's due to radiation. The more likely answer is that he's seeing the effects of overfishing which is a pretty serious concern. We are massively overfishing the oceans currently.

22. Double nothing is still nothing.

23. When does Russia ever miss a chance to criticize the US whether or not it's based in reality?

24. Cool, so we can attribute 1 million deaths to radiation over the next several generations. We can attribute 200,000 deaths per year to coal plants globally right here and right now. 1 million over several generations is actually pretty low. This actually reinforces how safe nuclear is relative to our other options.

25. 300 tons of water is not a lot. It sounds like a lot but it isn't.

31. Because an environmental activist doesn't have an agenda or biases...

34. When things go bad with nuclear plants, they go really bad and seriously mess up a localized area. Chernobyl still isn't cleaned up either. These are long term projects.

36. This site debunked the radioactive steam.

Btw, the dead creatures on the pacific floor (which is a tenuous claim at best given our ability to measure these things) is far more likely to be due to ocean acidification which is a pretty serious issue with our oceans. I would suggest looking into it.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

jhn7537
I really don't understand why the rest of the world hasn't stood up to Japan yet and waged war on them if they don't allow "others" to come in and help fix this disaster?? Why aren't ALL the leading minds on this industry on route to Japan to determine a solution for this? This can have world-wide effects, so it shouldn't just be Tepco and Japan trying to figure this mess out..

It's already worse than we think it is, and they know it. It's too late. Why create panic?

I still say hit it with a few conventional cruise missiles and blow it up, in order to stop it reacting. Sure you'll get some radioactive dust in the air but that's nothing compared to what it could do if left.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Hey since it's not serious at all, do you mind if I fly you out to the Fukushima region? Care to go swimming along the coast? Eat seafood from the water around the effected area?

A lot of you (not going to call you a debunker, becuase you may be sincere) "not so serious types" seem to down play this all the time. I would love to see if you had the guts to go over there since it's not so serious... I'm sure you and every other "not so serious type" would coward away quickly...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

jhn7537
reply to post by Aazadan

Hey since it's not serious at all, do you mind if I fly you out to the Fukushima region? Care to go swimming along the coast? Eat seafood from the water around the effected area?

A lot of you (not going to call you a debunker, becuase you may be sincere) "not so serious types" seem to down play this all the time. I would love to see if you had the guts to go over there since it's not so serious... I'm sure you and every other "not so serious type" would coward away quickly...

Where did I say the immediate area is safe? Infact, I was quite clear that it wasn't. As you move away from the area it becomes safer and safer though, by the time the ocean currents move the radioactive material a distance of say 100 miles, it's pretty diluted.

Most of the fish being talked about are coming from the western US coast, not from right off the coast of Fukushima.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

1. Maybe you could identify who these researchers are that you claim are saying radiation levels are not elevated. I am not seeing this info out there. On what do you back your claim that the people reporting higher radiation levels don't know how to use their instruments. Sounds like you are making claims, but have never bothered to see if they are correct.

3. I don't think you have a clue how serious the reality is. There is very little information out there, and what is out there is dodgy, sketchy at best.

5 - 21 Based on what, your ability to call things crap?

22. Um, your claim that there is 0 radioactivity, nothing, in coastal waters basically cements your complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

I'm not even going to bother commenting on your other claims. That the people clinging to denial, not wanting to consider evidence base on logic such as this, only increases my suspicion, that as a species, we know just enough to wipe ourselves out.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

poet1b
1. Maybe you could identify who these researchers are that you claim are saying radiation levels are not elevated. I am not seeing this info out there. On what do you back your claim that the people reporting higher radiation levels don't know how to use their instruments. Sounds like you are making claims, but have never bothered to see if they are correct.

We could start with the EPA monitoring stations that are all over the country and are public information.

3. I don't think you have a clue how serious the reality is. There is very little information out there, and what is out there is dodgy, sketchy at best.

No, I fully understand how serious the reality is. There are significant engineering challenges that need to be met to prevent things from becoming worse. Most people, including the ones doing all the fear mongering however hear the word radiation and freak out. We're exposed to radiation every day, getting a large enough dose at once is pretty bad, but what extra we're being exposed to from Fukushima isn't a dangerous amount.

5 - 21 Based on what, your ability to call things crap?

You mean like the starfish that started dissolving a year before Fukushima on the other side of the planet? Or bird die offs that have happened every week somewhere in the world since we started recording these things? Those have no link to Fukushima at all, and have been observed well before the disaster struck. Attributing them to Fukushima is just fear mongering.

22. Um, your claim that there is 0 radioactivity, nothing, in coastal waters basically cements your complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

It's just a saying, obviously there's not 0 radioactive particles in the ocean but there's not many. Fukushima is increasing them which is also obvious but it's not by a substantial amount, furthermore most of them (though not all, like caesium) have a halflife such that they decay by the time they reach our shores and fishing areas. As things currently stand there's nothing to worry about.

I used to be on your side for this, I don't like fish but everyone else in my family eats a lot of it. Being concerned for them I started researching for facts I could use to convince them to change their diets. The more I read though after separating the fear mongering propaganda from the actual facts the more I realized that we're not actually in any danger right now. Could this change in the future? Sure. But as things currently stand with the amount of material being released into the ocean it's not dangerous. If we keep leaking material like this for the next 200 years? It will become a problem then from a health point of view, but right now it's fine.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

A minor weather system is about to hit Eureka, CA over the next couple of days. Watch the EPA graph and see what happens. It appears every time a weather system comes from the Pacific there is a spike in measurable radiation levels.

Whether are not that elevated radiation level is cause for concern is another argument that probably deserves it's own thread.

As for me, I am staying away from seafood caught in the Pacific. Mostly canned tuna, king crab, snow crab, and dungeness crab. I really like crab, at least I can get blue and stone crab locally.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

So you trust the EPA who is ran by the US Govt. that lies to us on a regular basis? The Govt. is filled with pathological liars, not sure how you trust anything they say...

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join