It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rich Catholics Threaten Pope Francis—Because He Frightens Them

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Rich Catholics Threaten Pope Francis—Because He Frightens Them

Aggressive and whiny, billionaires like Kenneth Langone threaten to withhold donations to the church.

If anyone wonders whether Pope Francis has irritated wealthy conservatives with his courage and idealism, the latest outburst from Kenneth Langone left little doubt. Sounding both aggressive and whiny, the billionaire investor warned that he and his overprivileged friends might withhold their millions from church and charity unless the pontiff stops preaching against the excesses and cruelty of unleashed capitalism.

According to Langone, such criticism from the Holy See could ultimately hurt the sensitive feelings of the rich so badly that they become "incapable of feeling compassion for the poor." He also said rich donors are already losing their enthusiasm for the restoration of St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan -- a very specific threat that he mentioned directly to Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York.

"such criticism from the Holy See could ultimately hurt the sensitive feelings of the rich so badly that they become "incapable of feeling compassion for the poor."
Who thinks like this???

This baffles me - truly. Okay, fine, if you don't want to contribute to the RCC, don't. Fine by me. I don't 'contribute' either. But I think Pope Francis is a genuine guy - so far.

It seems the battle between God and Money has reached a zenith. Which way will it go? Anyone's guess.

Are 'the rich' so freaked out because they might have to share to get their 'heavenly reward'?

WHAT IS IT about obscene wealth that turns people into tyrants like this?

Yet Langone has reason to worry that the Holy Father is in fact asking hard questions about people like him. Indeed, he could serve as a living symbol of the gross and growing economic inequality that disfigures the American system and threatens democracy.
As a leader of the New York Stock Exchange, he was largely responsible for the scandalous overpayment of his friend Richard Grasso, the exchange president who received nearly $190 million in deferred compensation when he stepped down. Although New York's highest court eventually upheld Grasso's pay package, it was a perfect example of the unaccountable, self-serving greed of Wall Street's elite.

Can someone PLEASE explain it to me? These people seem soulless.

I know it says in the article that this Langone is "generous" with his money, take a look at how he spends it:

Langone is not only a leading fundraiser for church projects but a generous donor to hospitals, universities and cancer charities (often for programs and buildings named after him, in the style of today's self-promoting philanthropists). Among the super-rich, he has many friends and associates who may share his excitable temperament.

While his ultimatum seems senseless -- would a person of true faith stiff the church and the poor? -- it may well be sincere. And Langone spends freely to promote his political and economic views, in the company of the Koch brothers and other Republican plutocrats.

Oh! So, he gives generously to hospitals, universities, and cancer charities? But how much more does he "give" to politicians who promote his economic views?

Is it supposed to be some sort of "well, I did this, so now you have to do what I say because I spent money on sick people and education"?

Um, no.

I'm sorry, but, this guy "serves two masters" if I've ever heard of someone who did.

It's blackmail. Period. And it's disgusting, imo. Would the world end if this guy discontinues his support of the Church? For how many years has he been a 'Catholic'?

It makes me wonder if he's tied to the Mafia. Truly. Or, perhaps, the new Pope has him quaking in his designer loafers that he might NOT make it to heaven (considering his duplicity)?

...Langone has reason to worry that the Holy Father is in fact asking hard questions about people like him. Indeed, he could serve as a living symbol of the gross and growing economic inequality that disfigures the American system and threatens democracy.

Yes, he could serve as a living symbol of our downfall.

Anyway, that's all I have to say at this point. What do you all think?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

It makes me wonder how close to God these people really are... Even I know from their behaviour that they will have a tough time getting into paradise, and I'm definitely not Catholic

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Threatening to withhold donations to the church unless the Pope changes his views on capitalism. Yeah I'm sure this would meet with Jesus's approval.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Jesus told him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Matthew 19:21

Need I say more?
edit on 3-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Threatening to withhold donations to the church unless the Pope changes his views on capitalism. Yeah I'm sure this would meet with Jesus's approval.

I know! Right??
Like Langone's worldly, earthly wealth makes him "God", and qualified to 'correct' the Pope's opinion. Which, I guess, in his mind, he is.
Gha.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

It makes me wonder how close to God these people really are... Even I know from their behaviour that they will have a tough time getting into paradise, and I'm definitely not Catholic

I'm not Catholic, either -
as for how "close to God" these people really are - well, it seems they feel free to decide for themselves....and shut down (shut up) those who disagree.

It isn't hard to see the problem. Unless, of course, you're a filthy, obscenely rich "politics broker."

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

hey, I liked the first draft of your post!!

Anyway, thanks for contributing.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It was just a little too obnoxious. I tend to be overly sarcastic at times, and I felt this instance was a little overwhelming to the point of tasteless and distracting. So I made my point and moved on.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I saw the movie "The Wolf of Wall Street" on Christmas day. What I found remarkable about the character, portrayed by Leo DiCaprio, was how self absorbed and stupid this person, Jordan Belfor, actually was, at least in the movie. He totally didn't get that his money could buy more than drugs, women and toys.

This character, Kenneth Langone, gets it! His donations don't come from altruism or a contrite heart. They are offerings that purchase personal power. Langone has no fantasies of purchasing passage to heaven. He has what the "Wolf of Wall Street" didn't have, foresight and respect for the devil!

There is no doubt about it. ^^ This is the "heavenly kingdom" that Kenneth Langone is purchasing. It is ever devouring, ever consuming, capitalism!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

His donations don't come from altruism or a contrite heart. They are offerings that purchase personal power.

But...but...the Pope "hurt his feelings" so much that he might "stop caring about the poor"!!!

:eyeroll:

Surreal.

I live next to a church, which is occupied only about once every six weeks....by maybe 5 people (at least, 5 cars, TOPS)....

I was wondering the other day about writing to the 'owners' and suggesting using the building (which stands empty MOST OF THE TIME), as a warming station, or even a homeless shelter. I was thinking about the cold snap we were having - (and still are) - and wondering how many people will die of exposure during this episode of brutal conditions.....yet a church stands empty and unused by ANYONE.

Their marquee hasn't changed in MONTHS - they are "seeking disciples", but no one ever goes there, and this huge brick building remains UNUSED....even on CHRISTMAS DAY - no one was there.

It makes me sick.

edit on 1/3/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

Oh, and it's a "Baptist" church.
Go figure.

We have several unoccupied (either foreclosed or still up for sale) homes in this neighborhood....
something is seriously wrong with this country at the moment.

All hail Pope Francis - a genuine and sensitive World Leader who might, just might make a real difference. I think it's awesome that Syria's Assad wants to talk to him.

edit on 1/3/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

But...but...the Pope "hurt his feelings" so much that he might "stop caring about the poor"!!!

:eyeroll:

Surreal.

LOL! But, Langone knows better that the Pope, that the best thing for poor people is robust capitalism!

I live next to a church, which is occupied only about once every six weeks....by maybe 5 people (at least, 5 cars, TOPS)....

I was wondering the other day about writing to the 'owners' and suggesting using the building (which stands empty MOST OF THE TIME), as a warming station, or even a homeless shelter. I was thinking about the cold snap we were having - (and still are) - and wondering how many people will die of exposure during this episode of brutal conditions.....yet a church stands empty and unused by ANYONE.

Their marquee hasn't changed in MONTHS - they are "seeking disciples", but no one ever goes there, and this huge brick building remains UNUSED....even on CHRISTMAS DAY - no one was there.

It makes me sick.

In Los Angeles, at the corner of La Brea and and a side street near Santa Monica Blvd, a professional food truck was donating meals to the homeless for 2 hours every afternoon, after the lunch rush, before breaking down and going home. Of course, the city put the kabosh on that, saying that it detracted from that ambience and lended to unsavory traffic in front of businesses in area!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

It was just a little too obnoxious. I tend to be overly sarcastic at times, and I felt this instance was a little overwhelming to the point of tasteless and distracting. So I made my point and moved on.

Good idea! Sarcasm has it's place and can be used well however you are the best judge of your intents much like some Rich capitalists...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

however you are the best judge of your intents much like some Rich capitalists...
Hi, bev.
Is there a 'subtle point' here?

Am I being overly 'judgmental' of this situation?
(IYO)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

wildtimes

however you are the best judge of your intents much like some Rich capitalists...
Hi, bev.
Is there a 'subtle point' here?

Am I being overly 'judgmental' of this situation?
(IYO)

Nope nothing subtle about it, just commending you on self-censoring makes a mod job easier. Nothing is more disappointing then when a rather innocuous thread about Greed and Church turns ugly from misinterpretations of sarcasm. You are just fine just wanted to point it out.

And I made the comparison to keep the thread from drifting as well...
edit on 3-1-2014 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Ha. I'm sure you saw what I had posted before. I'll take that as a subtle wag of the finger.
edit on 3-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Kenneth Langone.

When the first good and decent pope the church has had in sooooooooo long is assassinated and another self-serving Borgia is installed, we know most likely who to blame.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

wildtimes

"such criticism from the Holy See could ultimately hurt the sensitive feelings of the rich so badly that they become "incapable of feeling compassion for the poor."
Who thinks like this???

There's an old saying that goes something like this. When the gods want to destroy someone, they rob them of the ability to feel compassion.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It's an interesting twist on the truth revelation process; instead of ridiculing his opponent, Langone ridicules himself whilst violently opposing the pope with his emotive and threatening narrative.

The truth will become self evident, be interesting to see the outcome.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Seems to be all for show. If it was not then there would be no mention of him with the contributions. An act shown to others are of ego and that means there is no real merit in it. A dollar given in secret for the right selfless intention is more worth than a billion for ego.
edit on 3-1-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

wildtimes
the Pope "hurt his feelings" so much that he might "stop caring about the poor"!!!

I"m trying to look at this through my psychology degree.

MAYBE the rich guy was saying that he'd resent the church if it tried to dictate his finances?? MAYBE the rich guy was saying that he'd resent the church if it tried using guilt as a control for his money? Maybe. I dunno. That's all I could come up with .... resentment of the pope stepping into the territory of personal finances instead of the pope being focused on the spiritual.

I tried to look at it from a different angle and that's all I could come up with.

Who knows ....

I like Pope Francis and I'm 'right there with him' when he talks about spiritual things. But when he talks about the finances I get nervous. He talks about a global tax for the poor ... and about a world overseer of the money. All that 'wealth redistribution' would lead to corruption .... It always does. WHo would take care of the money? The corrupt UN? A corrupt theocracy? So I really don't trust him on the money stuff ...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join