It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead sea creatures cover 98 percent of ocean floor off California coast as result of Fukushima nucle

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
According to an absolutely shocking study that has just been released, one area of the Pacific Ocean floor was 98 percent covered by decomposing sea creatures in July 2012. But in March 2012, only 1 percent of that same section of the Pacific Ocean floor was covered by dead sea creatures. Very Scary!

The Pacific Ocean appears to be dying, according to a new study recently published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Scientists from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) in California recently discovered that the number of dead sea creatures blanketing the floor of the Pacific is higher than it has ever been in the 24 years that monitoring has taken place, a phenomenon that the data suggests is a direct consequence of nuclear fallout from Fukushima.

www.undergroundhealth.com...

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
While this sounds like a serious problem, there is also this from the article you posted:

Though the researchers involved with the work have been reluctant to pin Fukushima as a potential cause — National Geographic, which covered the study recently, did not even mention Fukushima — the timing of the discovery suggests that Fukushima is, perhaps, the cause.

Basically to sum it up, it says "no one else has said that Fukushima is the cause of all this, but we are saying it anyways." Not to say that Fukushima isn't the cause, it's just kind of interesting that the article is jumping to conclusions ahead of the scientists investigating this phenomenon.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
So long seafood. With pollution and over fishing we won't be seeing seafood on the menu much longer. Damn I'm going to miss it.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Yesterday I briefly read something about serious radiation hitting California in March, can anyone confirm this?
I did find where the government had ordered a huge number of Potassium Iodide pills for whatever reason. I thought it was fake because it was only on spoof websites. However, some research showed it was true right from a .gov website HERE

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Basically to sum it up, it says "no one else has said that Fukushima is the cause of all this, but we are saying it anyways." Not to say that Fukushima isn't the cause, it's just kind of interesting that the article is jumping to conclusions ahead of the scientists investigating this phenomenon.

If it isn't Fukishima that's causing it, then what else could it be I wonder?

My money would be on Fukishima, but the Governments of the world cannot admit this, otherwise it would be exposing the cover up that has been going on from the outset.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Staroth
Yesterday I briefly read something about serious radiation hitting California in March, can anyone confirm this?
I did find where the government had ordered a huge number of Potassium Iodide pills for whatever reason. I thought it was fake because it was only on spoof websites. However, some research showed it was true right from a .gov website HERE

Here ya go!
36 Signs The Media Is Lying To You About How Radiation From Fukushima Is Affecting The West Coast!

www.riseearth.com...

freepatriot.org...
edit on 3-1-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This is the single most disturbing thing that has happened to the oceans in my lifetime. It is indicative of a systemic problem with the water. Can we pin it on Fukushima? I am just not sure yet, my gut says yes but I am waiting for the scientists to come up with a provable conclusion. They are much smarter than the person that wrote this article.

To date the exact reason for the die off is "unknown". I do suspect Fukushima but only time will tell.

Either way it does tell me something is very wrong wit the oceans, something we have all known was happening for a long time. Funny thing about a salt water aquarium, once the first fish dies you usually lose the rest.....

Personally I am all for the end of humanity, I have enough stupidity happening around me to be certain the only fix for all our woes is a restart.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

I wonder if the Japanese government that is in bed with Tepco truly understands how pissed off people will be when they finally figure this out.

The Japanese are so filled with pride it blinds them. Instead of pride they should start looking at legacy. What will people be saying 20 years from now about how the Japanese handled this.

Tepco officials and anyone in the government who helped them should be tried for crimes against humanity. This will leave a stain against the Japanese culture no amount of pride will wash away.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

When’s It Time To Leave West Coast And/Or The Northern Hemisphere Due To Fukushima Radiation?

edit on 3-1-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The actual study blames it on climate change:

A 24-y time- series study of sinking particulate organic carbon (food) supply and its utilization by the benthic community was conducted in the abyssal northeast Pacific( ∼4,000-m depth). Here we show that previous findings of food deficits are now punctuated by large episodic surpluses of particulate organic carbon reaching the sea floor, which meet utilization. Changing surface ocean conditions are translated to the deep ocean, where decadal peaks in supply, remineralization, and sequestration of organic carbon have broad implications for global carbon budget projections.

Basically what is being said is that due to the overabundance of particulate organic carbon (think decomposing sea life, of all kinds), a significant upward trend in the death rate can be calculated.

Contemporary climate change marked by increasing water temperature, density stratification, and acidification is impacting the world ocean. These changes are especially evident in oceanic surface waters and coastal areas (1), where surface water production of organic carbon and trophic exchanges are affected. However, little is known of how these changes in fl uence the food supply to the deep ocean. Can we expect decreased production of organic carbon produced in the upper ocean, and thus less food delivered to the sea

Deep ocean communities impacted by changing climate over 24 y in the abyssal northeast Pacific Ocean

Now I know full well how bad Fukushima is for the Pacific, check my posting history and see how much I participated in the mega-thread, but this study is more about climate change than anything else. The Fukushima angle was brought in as an afterthought.

Though the graph is telling as far as timing goes:

Combined phytodetrital and salp AOC fluxes ranged from ≤30 (minimum estimate) to 99 (maximum estimate) mg C m−2·d−1 in June 2012 during the salp deposition and up to 81 (minimum estimate) to 318 (maximum estimate) mg C m−2·d−1 during the subsequent phytodetrital aggregate deposition in September 2012 (Fig. 2C). Because AOC fl ux measured from photographs and POC fl ux measured with sediment traps are simply alternative methods of measuring POC arriving on the sea fl oor, we chose the highest estimate from either method (SI Materials and Methods) and defined this value as the combined organic carbon (COC) flux (Fig. 2D).

The usual hedging takes place:

It is not known whether this increase in food supply will continue and, if so, on what geographic scales. Alternatively, these observed variations in the carbon cycle may be only part of interannual or multidecadal variations, unrelated to global climate change (26).

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Seems everyone is to cowardly to be the ones to speak up. Star fish are not melting due to climate change. Sores all over the Alaskan sea creatures and so many other things to much to list, the proof is clear in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Didn't Japan order complete media blackout regard what is going on? Isn't the US going right along with them?

So, they will never admit that Fukishima is causing this if it is. So there will be all kinds of "theories" thrown out, and they are hoping one will stick.

We will never get the truth, until some HONEST scientists go out, test the water, test the dead animals, and actually report the truth. Funny, easy enough to do, right?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The amount of radiation from fukishima into the Pacific is the same as an eye dropper full into a five gallon bucket. The ocean can assimilate this amount easily and there won't be any long term effects. Alarmist editorials be damned.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

No and no.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I'm not cowardly in regards to pointing fingers at Fukushima and Tepco. The Alaskan Seal thread I authored is clear proof that I think that much of the ecological problems we face can be attributed to those molten cores eating their way down below where they began.

I even think this study shows fairly clear indirect proof that something significant has occurred, and recently too if you take a look at the graphs I posted.

Attributing to the study's authors Fukushima as the cause is incorrect, however.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
The amount of radiation from fukishima into the Pacific is the same as an eye dropper full into a five gallon bucket. The ocean can assimilate this amount easily and there won't be any long term effects. Alarmist editorials be damned.

I don't mean to be rude, but you sound official and all, but I think I am going to need just a little bit more than your word on all this. ATS is about denying ignorance, not wallowing in it.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It could be other things that are causing this. We have had a lot of forest fires and they recently changed the chemical they use on these. I don't know why they decided to buy a much more expensive one with no long term testing on the environment. Chemicals change once they are exposed to fire.

I do not know if this is the case, there could be many possible causes for the die-off of these creatures, including radiation and even chemicals from the debris. Who knows how many barrels of toxic chemicals floated away.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

The Pacific is very deep. It's almost impossible for them to determine what is on the sea bed let alone what percentage of anything is on the sea bed. . Do you know how deep the Pacific ocean is? It's home of the deepest depths the world over. More than 36,000 feet deep. The deepest on the planet. So deep that Mt Everest the world's tallest mountain would still be
7000 feet below the surface. The radiation spilling out of fukishima is an isotope that is stored in muscle and breaks down pretty quickly once fish swim out of the affected area so by the time fish get to the US their radiation levels will be back to normal. The radiation will be diluted to less than .00000000014% of the total volumn of water in the entire Pacific.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Fine here you go.

thinkprogress.org...

I am not wallowing in ignorance. I actually look these things up.
edit on PM000000310000000110112312014-01-03T12:12:54-06:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I think that you may find that the dead creatures are due to a few thousand drums of radioactive waste that the US has dumped there over the years and not from Fukushima.

I can't verify that ascertain, that is the word on the 'net.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join