General Mills Announces That Original Cheerios Are Now Non-GMO

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
"Green America Corporate Responsibility Director Todd Larsen stated: “Removing GMOs from original Cheerios is an important victory in getting GMOs out of our food supply and an important first step for General Mills. Original Cheerios in its famous yellow box will now be non-GMO and this victory sends a message to all food companies that consumers are increasingly looking for non-GMO products and companies need to meet that demand.”

This is really amazing news and although it is just one step it is a big one!

"One year ago, in November 2012, GMO Inside starting calling on consumers to put pressure on General Mills to make Cheerios without GMOs due to concerns over the health and environmental impacts of GMOs. Cheerios are a top selling cereal in the U.S. and often one of the first solid foods fed to children. As soon as the campaign launched, tens of thousands of consumers started flooding Cheerios’ Facebook page with concerned comments regarding GMOs in Cheerios (gmoinside.org...), and used an app put out by Cheerios to spell out anti-GMO messages in the Cheerios font (gmoinside.org...). In October 2013, GMO Inside issued a real corporate responsibility report for General Mills (gmoinside.org...), and called on consumers to email and call the General Mills to get GMOs out of Cheerios. GMO Inside also put out a video highlighting the GMOs in Cheerios (www.youtube.com...) that was watched by over 200,000 viewers. Over 25,000 people took part in the email actions and calls to the company In the past week callers to the company were told that Cheerios would have a big announcement about GMOs soon."

I have written a few threads about GMOs and Monsanto so I am very pleased to hear this. It was ultimately down to Facebook activists. Anyone can be a Facebook activist you just have to stand up for what you believe in and spread your message as part of a group! Boycott the giants.

I personally won't let the fear of government spying stop me from expressing myself to the world. If you do that then they have already won. It's the people who don't speak out that will suffer the consequences in the end.

Great news!

Victory For Consumers: General Mills Announces That Original Cheerios Are Now Non-GMO
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Yes, this is wonderful news!
If GMO companies are going to spend ridiculous amounts of money fighting the labeling issue, going after one product at a time may be the way to go.
I just hope people continue to praise and promote Cheerios after this is done, so the company see's that it makes a difference to listen to the people, instead of corporations.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Yay! My son and I love Cheerios (seriously other oat O's never taste the same) but I stopped buying them because of GMOs. Now we can eat them again.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Quick question for you guys. Since GMO's aren't required to be labeled on the box, how do you know that General Mills REALLY is taking GMO's out of Cheerios besides their word? I mean, it's not like corporations haven't lied about the contents of their products before.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I thought Cheerios were whole grain oats. I thought they were not allowed to make genetically modified oats.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Going to buy a box today.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I read this from the Cheerios site on plain old Cheerios: (old info)

***Trace amounts of genetically modified (also known as “genetically engineered”) material may be present due to potential cross contact during manufacturing and shipping.

www.cheerios.com...

It sounds like the plain cheerios have been made non GMO but not 100% controlled in a non GMO environment. The fact they'll be labeling and advertising them as non GMO will be a good indicator on what the consumers want, after reviewing the sales information.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Good how consumer demand and pressure can work and we're seeing more examples of that. More displays of that may be the only way to go, as it doesn't look like labeling will "be allowed" anytime soon, coupled with companies that are already having non GMO labels-up to the consumer to research for trust however.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Great thread, very important issue. I think GMO is the biggest issue in the world right now, along with Fukushima. It's great to see action paying off. This is what I preach all the time - vote with your dollars! Boycotts work because cash-flow is the lifeblood of any company, and when you squeeze the cash flow, they feel it.

I'm working constantly at spreading awareness of GMO's to my friends and family, because I think it is such an important issue. It's worth disrupting their world-view for a few moments, because it's so important, and everyone deserves an opportunity to learn about GMO. The media isn't going to do it for us. Even if people don't listen, plant the seed of an idea, and one day they might listen more closely.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TwoTonTommy

Keep up the good work mate! We need more people like you if we are to educate the masses.

new topics

top topics

join