It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut Gun Registration Lines “Looks Like Weimar Germany”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Yep! It's here! Thank God I registered my magazines a couple of months ago.
This is just crazy in this state...next step I will bet it will be like in California and parts of New York.

You got it ! Gun confiscation!

Late in December we wrote an article about Connecticut’s new stricter guns laws. As the state pushed for tighter gun control, they required all owners to register their assault rifles and high capacity magazines. As the deadline approached, procrastinators lined up to register while others compared the scene to Weimar Germany.

www.mrconservative.com...

nation.time.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

It looks like The US maybe at last taking some long overdue action to try and prevent lunatics running around with guns in their hands.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
With the greatest of respect, the 'others' comparing this scene to Weimar Germany clearly don't know much about Weimar Germany - or indeed the reasons for their gun confiscation. No-one is about to disarm the American government.

+25 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

alldaylong

It looks like The US maybe at last taking some long overdue action to try and prevent lunatics running around with guns in their hands.

Absolutely!

Because, as we all know, gun registration reduces mental illness.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

beezzer

alldaylong

Absolutely!

You forgot about fewer guns in law abiding peoples hands equaling no guns in criminals hands. I mean criminals respect the law after all, it isnt like the very nature of being a criminal requires you to not follow the law.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

alldaylong

Because that is working SO well in Chicago and New York.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

QUANTUMGR4V17Y

alldaylong

Because that is working SO well in Chicago and New York.

Agreed!!!! I mean making tougher gun laws always forces criminals to comply, it is "the law" after all!!!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

beezzer

alldaylong

Absolutely!

In the UK your GP has to verify you are "Sane" before a firearms license can be issued. I suppose that could be a starting point.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

alldaylong

beezzer

alldaylong

Absolutely!

In the UK your GP has to verify you are "Sane" before a firearms license can be issued. I suppose that could be a starting point.

Please tell me more about how criminals follow laws.

Having stricter gun laws will not and never has removed the guns from the criminals.

As my last post stated, take a look at Chicago and New York, some of the strictest gun laws in the country.... And they have some of the highest gun / crime in the country as well..

Coincidence? I think not.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

alldaylong

beezzer

alldaylong

Absolutely!

(figuring out how to reply)

This is what scares me.

So many friends have returned home with some form/level of PTSD that I actually see this happening.

And lord knows I'm nuts!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The CT law conflicts with this already established federal law. The end of January there is supposed to be some sort of kangaroo court hearing in CT.

Public law current; established in the Fire Arm Owners Protection act of 1986 (FAOP)

18 U.S. Code § 926 - Rules and regulations

Snip; No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any state or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established.

www.law.cornell.edu...

edit on 3-1-2014 by tkwasny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

QUANTUMGR4V17Y

alldaylong

beezzer

alldaylong

Absolutely!

Please tell me more about how criminals follow laws.

Having stricter gun laws will not and never has removed the guns from the criminals.

As my last post stated, take a look at Chicago and New York, some of the strictest gun laws in the country.... And they have some of the highest gun / crime in the country as well..

Coincidence? I think not.

Lets look at 2 categories

1) Mentally ill gun owners who have obtained gun licenses through the proper process.

2) Criminals who use guns for crime and those guns by and large are obtained through "The Black Market)

The mentally ill are the ones who go on mass shooting sprees.

Why not make a start by reducing category 1. ( as outlined in my previous post)

Criminals will always obtain guns no matter what country they reside in. They are less likely to go into schools and start blasting away; would you not agree?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Criminals will always obtain guns no matter what country they reside in.

And what is to prevent a lunatic from being a criminal.... other than institutionalizing them?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

butcherguy

And what is to prevent a lunatic from being a criminal.... other than institutionalizing them?

If a lunatic entered a school on a mass shooting spree, that would also make him a criminal would it not?

It's usually called "Criminal Insanity"

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

alldaylong

When will the UK take action on getting the knives out of the hands of the lunatics? During a one month period there were 1,000 knife crimes committed with over 400 deaths in London alone. Source. Compare that to a one month period of gun crime in New York City, where there were 150 shootings. Source

I admit this isn't a "scientific" comparison, but point being that people are going to commit violent crimes and murders no matter what weapons are available.

You make a valid point that there are individuals who have no business owning a firearm (or any weapon for that matter.) Enforcement isn't as easy as it sounds.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but in all seriousness let's just get this over with. Come and get them. Lines were drawn years ago. Their isn't anything worth losing once things go down this road, because you will no longer be part of the conversation. It's called serfdom.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

alldaylong

butcherguy

If a lunatic entered a school on a mass shooting spree, that would also make him a criminal would it not?

It's usually called "Criminal Insanity"

Your original point was that we need to get guns out of the hands of lunatics.
Another poster stated that it is impossible to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.
I was just making the point that it is no different in the case of lunatics, as they really have no interest in following the silly laws (that really only have one intended effect anyway... to make it difficult for law abiding/sane individuals to own firearms).

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by IbcBen

They cant just come and get them. That would cause people to resist.

It has to be done piecemeal incrementally to take advantage of denial and Fudd in-fighting as with each new piece of liberty-raping legislation those who "cling" are portrayed as further and further fringe. Who wants to stand up for a Nazi even if it means losing the first amendment? So who wants to stand up for some black rifle fanatic even if it means losing the second? Morons want approval and the vast majority of the population being morons they will in overwhelming numbers always jump on the bandwagon of marginalization even at their own detriment.

By the time they come door to door nobody will want to be the first martyr because they'll all believe that their martyrdom will be ignored as each neighbor will also not want to be a martyr because they believe their martyrdom will be ignored.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FatherStacks

Did you read your own source?

400 Deaths?
Wrong.
11 people killed in 4 months.

Granted, that's 11 people too many but it's a massive difference to the 400 you allege.

I'm not getting involved in the gun control argument again but I will say that I think alldaylong is simply saying that if further restrictions on gun ownership were placed on those deemed to have mental issues there would be FEWER killings, not eliminate them.
Wouldn't that be a good thing?

ETA.

Just to add, I don't think anyone denies there is a growing problem with knife crimes in parts of the UK and it needs to be addressed. Imagine how bad things would be if we had increased availability of guns?
What's right for the US isn't necessarily right for the UK.

I'm sure there are things that can be done in the US to reduce the number of gun related deaths without infringing on the Second Amendment.
edit on 3/1/14 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Having looked at the article and the postings the following can be stated:

After reading all of that, it was time to do a bit of research on the Weimar government and gun control and here is the bottom line on such:
The Weimar government did not just do this overnight, rather it was pretty systematic on its actions. The first was that it Stated in 1919, after the defeat from WWI. It started with regulations in which it was determining what could and could not be owned, and the ammunition. It sought to follow the terms of the treaty, that it was forced to sign. In 1919, the first law, the Regulations on Weapons Ownership, declared all firearms and ammunition should be surrendered immediately. The penalty for breaking the law was 5 years in prison and 100,000 mark fine.
In 1920, the German government was afraid of its population rebelling, so it enact a second law, Law on the Disarmament of the People, to remove all military style weapons.
In 1928, due to hyperinflation, and with the power struggle that was going, it sought to remove all firearms from those it deemed undesirable, with the law on Firearms and Ammunition. It removed the law in 1919, but restricted which firearms were legal to own, and named the terms of such.
In 1938, the laws were tightened up, further suspending the 1928 law, with the German Weapons Act. It was very specific as to what weapons could be sold, or owned, and ammunition. But permits were required, and the permits had expiration dates. And those who say held hunting permits, and more favored people were excluded from having to apply for renewing their permits. All of the dealers and manufacturers were required to keep very detailed records with all information, that were inspected every year by the police.
In November, 1938, all those deemed undesirable by the state were forbidden from owning a firearm and required to give them up.

Having then looked at the gun control laws that the Weimar government and then the Nazi governments enacted, I then looked at the laws that are being proposed.

There are some similarities in the laws, both are restricting in their nature, but at the same time, there is one main difference that should be noted. Handguns are not discussed in the gun control laws today. In the years between World War I and World War II Germany, those were the firearms that were targeted by the government.

What is really sad about the entire gun debate, is that most cherry pick the statistics to suit their arguments and completely ignore everything else. The reality about the state of gun crimes the majority of crimes where firearms are used, happens to be with handguns.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join