It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013-2014 North American Winter - Report Here

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
SW Michigan here.I'm reading -11°with a real feel(wind hill)of-43°!!There's over a foot of snow on the ground and more expected.At 52 years I have never seen weather like this,especially after mild winter last year.I'm disabled so don't have to go out but I certainly pity the people that do.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
South central Kentucky here. 3F right now, it got all the way up to 8F

We've got central air and heat and the heat pump isn't keeping up. We had to bring the Kerosine heater in.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

KawRider9
reply to post by Aqualung2012

I'm three hours south of Chicago, if ya need help getting the heat back on, PM me your pnone number. It's waaaay to cold for no heat!

The gesture is very much appreciated, but its been looked at as of now... and basically we've been informed there is no hope -at least for a couple days- and we're lucky we hadn't been blown up. This house my GF and I are renting is a bit of a paper-mache castle. When it rains, our basement floods; and when it freezes, apparently our 25 year-old heater dies completely. (Although I guess it died fighting the mightiest foe it had faced during its long life, so fair play to the heater, but sucks for us and our reptiles and tarantula.)

I do believe we will survive though, and as cold and inconvenient as it is for us, I can't help but think about those people out there who really are in a life or death situation. Grateful to be this cold tonight.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Toronto here. -24 C with the windchill factor -44 C. Everything feels like in slow motion. Cold and slow. I envy bears sometimes. lol

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

I had to check and see what that translates to in Fahrenheit.

I'm in a Milwaukee suburb (Waukesha County) and it is currently -17 F with a RealFeel of -43 F. I had to go out three times today. First was at dawn, to drag the trash and recycles out to the curb. I covered all exposed skin, wore gloves, boots, hat and earmuffs, and a scarf. The feeling was so strange, like moving in extremely slow motion and all sounds are amplified. I was worried that I was waking the entire neighborhood, rolling the trash bin out. It sounded so loud, almost as loud as my breathing. I moved methodically and took very careful steps, as I certainly didn't want to fall on frozen ice and have to endure any longer than absolutely necessary. In all, it took me less than five minutes and I still had to hold my hands under warm water to thaw.

This afternoon I had to drive my daughter's friend home. She lives just down the street and of course it is way to cold to walk. My SUV didn't start at first. After a few tries, it finally turned over and started up very slowly. Then, it took forever to warm up. Just driving down the street was eery, the atmosphere is just so strange and everything is quite and insulated-like. It is like being in a sound-proof closet or small room.

I read a weather alert earlier today that warned exposed skin under these conditions could suffer permanent cell damage in under five minutes.

edit on 7-1-2014 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Six degrees here in Atlanta, windchill of minus nine. Kinda crazy

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
here in the north east, it's winter.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

SubTruth
Wisconsin checking in...........COLD. So cold the the dogs do not even want to go for walks..........FREEZING is a better term.

How do the Canadians and Russians do this every year? They are saying the wind chill is -30 to -50.

Ask those that live in Minnesota. You do know that some states are higher than a lot of Canadians, such as Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana and Washington?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

SourGrapes
reply to post by Telos

I'm in a Milwaukee suburb (Waukesha County) and it is currently -17 F with a RealFeel of -43 F. I had to go out three times today. First was at dawn, to drag the trash and recycles out to the curb. I covered all exposed skin, wore gloves, boots, hat and earmuffs, and a scarf. The feeling was so strange, like moving in extremely slow motion and all sounds are amplified. I was worried that I was waking the entire neighborhood, rolling the trash bin out. It sounded so loud, almost as loud as my breathing. I moved methodically and took very careful steps, as I certainly didn't want to fall on frozen ice and have to endure any longer than absolutely necessary. In all, it took me less than five minutes and I still had to hold my hands under warm water to thaw.

This afternoon I had to drive my daughter's friend home. She lives just down the street and of course it is way to cold to walk. My SUV didn't start at first. After a few tries, it finally turned over and started up very slowly. Then, it took forever to warm up. Just driving down the street was eery, the atmosphere is just so strange and everything is quite and insulated-like. It is like being in a sound-proof closet or small room.

I read a weather alert earlier today that warned exposed skin under these conditions could suffer permanent cell damage in under five minutes.

edit on 7-1-2014 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

Shout out to Waukesha! That is where my family Is from. My g-grandmother used to be curator for the historical society there. I have always wanted to see it.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

[Global warming my a**.

Actually this very scenario has been predicted for years now. I knew some moron would say this. There is going to be more extreme seasons.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I know our comeuppance will come swiftly as that polar vortex comes our way but we had rain overnight which melted the snow and currently it's +3C, sunshine,and green grass on my front lawn.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Actually this very scenario has been predicted for years now.

Then I wish Global Warming would stop, before we all freeze to death.

edit on 7-1-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Montreal here.

This night temperature dropped back to -20 C. In Fahrenheit, this is -4 F.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
We're just getting our turn. Remember that insanely mild winter we had a couple years back? The polar vortex that year was stuck up over Alaska and they were all freezing their socks off. We all wondered where the cold air went ... well, now we know. It was in the polar vortex, and if the polar vortex doesn't come to your neighborhood, you count yourself lucky!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

SourGrapes
reply to post by Telos

-24 C = -11.4 Fahrenheit

-44 C = -47.2 Fahrenheit

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Today Cleveland is colder than the south pole. If that doesn't cry wonky, I don't know what does.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Colder than South Pole... ouch.

The climate is changing - we can't know for sure if it's Warming (on a "global" level). I think Global Warming is a theory, and like any theories in the scientific method, it must be considered as such. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying I'll wait before saying it's absolutely right.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
For the Game of Thrones fans:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

There is a difference between a scientific theory and everyday theory.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

And what is this difference?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join