It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013-2014 North American Winter - Report Here

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Hard to imagine since you really are just over the hill from me and our weather is so different. Of course that hill is the Blue Ridge Mountains and I live on the Chesapeake bay which is warmed by the gulf stream. so.....

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Orland Park I'll. Here south suburb of Chicago. I just came off of reading the global warming thread and I was going to put this particular report about the weather here on that thread, til I started reading all the arguing going on in that thread about weather global warming exists or not. Then I seen this thread, where we are all sharing what it's like where we live, so I decided to post here. The cold snowy winters here in Chicago are the same as they have always been ever since I was a little kid, and the hot humid summer's here are the same as they have always been ever since I was a little kid. Oh and I'm 43 years old, so summer and winter have been about the same all 43 years of my life. No evidence of global warming or global freezing here.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Thanks for your reply. We had record highs of 83 the Sunday before Christmas and then it dropped to near 40 . Extremes. Yesterday it was 56, today it won't make it out of the 30s but reading these extreme temps from around the country I feel like I live in the tropics in comparison.

We're havin' a heat wave...
A tropical heat wave. ...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Tampa Bay area here, 44*F morning low. It's not supposed to get much warmer than 54. It's fabulous for a change, everyone else is bundled up like it's 20 below, and I'm out in my shorts & tank feeling very comfortable
About 2 hours or so north of me in Cedar Key, it's still in the 30's apparently (36*F at last mention, brr!)

The weather folks have been saying we'll get another colder snap next week with a few morning lows in the low to mid 30's, if not below freezing.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Yeah, it's like two different worlds. About 6-7 miles from me, I have a cousin who lives high on the ridge top and there can be huge differences between where I am, and where he is. I can leave my house and not have any snow on the ground, and the temp's will be 45-50, then when I arrive at his house, there could be 8-12 inches of snow with temps in the 30's. I'm like: "man, it's like summertime down at my place compared to this!". lol It's strange how weather can be so different in the same area.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DonVoigt

I remember thigh high snow when I was kid but then again I was only four ft tall so thigh high wasn't that deep anyway. LOL
I am a whole foot taller now!!!
edit on AM000000310000000110110312014-01-03T11:10:28-06:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

I can't imagine those winding twisting mountain roads in deep snow. I go slow on them in summer. Almost ran into a bear cub last summer and we did hit a deer once. Not bad . The fawn ran off up the hillside so I don't think she was badly injured. Due to us going so slow in the first place.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Gotta keep those citrus crops warm. I want my OJ and lemon chicken . Get out there and throw a blanket over them please. LOL

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Hey when the power goes out do you still flip the light switch when you go into the bathroom? Silly me. I do . Then I remember. After a hurricane once our power came back on in three days while most of the city was out much longer. My house is on the same grid as the main thoroughfare so we got fixed fast. I felt guilty having my hair blowdried and styled while everyone else was wearing pony tails. I did make ice for my coworkers though.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by Nyiah

Gotta keep those citrus crops warm. I want my OJ and lemon chicken . Get out there and throw a blanket over them please. LOL

It's quite normal to have the citrus & berry crops down here have at least one freeze night a year, if not several of them. Having had our own citrus trees in our back yard growing up, it never seemed to fail that a good cold snap with a night or two under freezing definitely resulted in sweeter oranges. The catch for the farmers down here is maintaining that super-fine line between a beneficial freeze & damaging one, hence coating it all in water to form a layer of ice insulation. It sounds counterproductive, but it's actually a temperature buffer.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
East of Sacramento here: Rain? What rain. We had one pretty good cold snap. Yesterday and today I am wearing shorts...... We really need some rain and snow here as the snow pack is hurting.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

beezzer

... Blizzard Warning in effect from 3 PM this afternoon to noon
CST Saturday...

The National Weather Service in Bismarck has issued a Blizzard
Warning... which is in effect from 3 PM this afternoon to noon CST
Saturday.
_____________________________pared for brevity
... stay with your vehicle.

www.wunderground.com...

Might leave work early and stay in this weekend.

North central IL, got that nice base coat of 1/2 inch black ice before four or so inches for the holiday wrapup. A nice solid case of reflectivity denial for us comparative tropicals.
This morning it was -14 F and my baseboard felt like it was eminating the same calories as a Dove bar. He was bristling nicely... Welcome to Alberta, Lobster.

So when's it cooling off? I remember a couple of winters in my 30's around here when it never got above -10F during the day.
Anyway--
Looks like the syringeful isn't going past +12F today, but that's tepid compared to the High Plains. You Major are ringside for that Clipper--- keep the fur and Henry dry today. I intend to mold some more feed pellets later this afternoon because it keeps my paws warm.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Central PA here got hit with 6-7in of snow between 3pm and 2:30 am yesterday and colder then you know what. I'm wondering when we are going to get the next blizzard its been awhile
I know we are due for one

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Eastern Wash./Idaho Panhandle seems to be mirroring last year. There was the December below zero cold snap. And what seems a smaller amount of snow than usual. However, it's nearly 40 degrees and has been warmer for some weeks now, but it's said that won't last more than a few days now.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
New York City here.

Got about 7 inches of snow in Manhattan and temps will be headed down to 5 degrees F or lower this evening. Fixes to be the coldest day in the last 3 years. More cold on the horizon for early next week.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jpkmets

Cross country skiing in central park. Finally those polar bears feel at home. I always feel sorry for them in the summer.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Posting again because winter is blasting here with a vengeance. Total whiteout,blowing drifting snow,expected 25-30cm,and -25 degrees. Winds are gusting about 90km. Highways all around us are closed. I can't even see my front yard it's snowing so bad. Can't remember last time I saw a storm like this,but it has many around here shaking heads in disbelief. Gonna be fun digging out tomorrow....

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I know it's not counterproductive as I do that to my impatiens when they predict a frost. I've had them blooming for Christmas some years. A good frost is great for broccoli too. Makes it sweeter. For some reason I thought oranges were tender. I've never grown them so I don't know much about their cultivation. Thanks for the edu.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Up here in Alaska it's 31F and lightly snowing, we might get 1-3". Sorry about sending the cold weather!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
Up here in Alaska it's 31F and lightly snowing, we might get 1-3". Sorry about sending the cold weather!

Don't worry about sending the cold weather, the colder it is here at Montreal, the more is the Jet Stream pushed further south, letting us avoid snow storms.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join