It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013-2014 North American Winter - Report Here

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Hope that you didn't lose power in that icestorm around Christmas. I listen to the CBC every day and the reports were pretty bad.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

... Blizzard Warning in effect from 3 PM this afternoon to noon
CST Saturday...

The National Weather Service in Bismarck has issued a Blizzard
Warning... which is in effect from 3 PM this afternoon to noon CST
Saturday.

* Timing... this afternoon through Saturday morning.

* Winds/visibility... gusts to 50 mph with near zero visibilities in
blowing snow.

* Snow accumulations... one to two inches.

* Impacts... travel will be extremely hazardous... if not
impossible.

* Wind chills... to 60 below zero Saturday night through Tuesday
morning.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Snow... and or blowing snow... coupled with
strong winds... will result in extremely poor visibilities. This
will lead to whiteout conditions... making travel extremely
dangerous. If you absolutely must travel... have a winter survival
kit with you. If you get stranded... stay with your vehicle.

www.wunderground.com...

Might leave work early and stay in this weekend.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitora

In St.Louis Mo we just got 5 " in snow and its 6 degrees outside right now.They are saying more snow is on the way Sat and Sun. And on Monday and Tuesday we will have the coldest temps in 15 years coming. Ouch.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

AutumnWitch657
I lived on long island most of my life. It was much warmer there than upstate. You are in the mountains there and it is much colder. How's that egg building. Haven't been to Albany in many many years but remember seeing that building while driving into the city .
For those who don't know, Albany is the capitol of New York not NYC as most assume. Also most assume that NY Is mostly city when in fact it's mostly mountains and countryside and farm land. A lot of folks are surprised by that fact.

You're exactly right. - But around Dec. 22-23, Albany sat right on the frontal boundary of an extremely cold air-mass to the north, and an unseasonably warm air-mass to the south.

During this time places across Western, NY - Northern Upstate, NY - and into New England battled brutal winter weather conditions, including an Ice Storm that knocked out power for thousands of people for multiple days. -- The NYC area, and elsewhere, enjoyed near record high temperatures, all the while the Capital District was located right at the point where these two vastly different air masses converged.

I was outside all day in short sleeves and shorts, and I had to remind my self that Christmas was in fact only 3 days away. Lol. It sure didn't feel like it. - Overall, Albany topped out with highs only in the low to mid 50's, (still 20 degrees above average.) But it still felt like it was a fall or spring day outside...

_________

And yeah, Albany is nice - I like the entire Capital Region.
- The Capital of the Empire State!

edit on 3-1-2014 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2014 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
here in middle of Michigan we have had extremely cold weather for a month now as we do not see these below zero temps until middle of January. More snow now to inches then we had all of last year and coupled with cold it is by far the worst winter I have seen in a very long time. our meteorologist says not seeing any better temps or break from this for awhile....one day we will have 29 above only to go down again for awhile. yikes and it seems an aged woman like myself has such a hard time with this ! I hope this means an early spring.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

lonegurkha
reply to post by Telos

Hope that you didn't lose power in that icestorm around Christmas. I listen to the CBC every day and the reports were pretty bad.

I did actually but I was lucky as it wasn't that cold as it is today. Still though, was a hellish 18 hours which once again showed us how depended we are and how bad it can affect people when is unannounced.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

I have independent heat source, and it's still hard for me. And just imagine those who have no shelter...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Pretty typical winter weather here in SC. No snow yet, but lots of rain and fluctuating temps (that tend to give us all snuffy noses):

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Ketchikan Alaska, frosty this morn but we started the new year with rain, a slightly warmer than average winter so far.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
...reporting form HOME.

global warming may be on the disguise for people during the cold seasons but beware and acknowledge that the weather altogether is getting all the more funnier in the last 10 years and at an increasing mode.

My report is to enlighten you that ice gap is almost melt when taking in account its average cover.

Forget the story you all got fed of the stranded boat on the ice that got saved by the helicopter. That was all another effort to keep you asleep and pretend everything is okay so that TPTB may continue their game until it is too late to do anything different. (That is if it is not already to late)

So yes, reporting hurricanes, floods, drought, extreme winds all at the same time.

Now if you still want to dream that everything is alright, be my guest dream on and have an easy life for your children to pay, because they will pay. You and i guys, we will also all pay as long as you will be alive for more than 10 years as of present.

Stop this nonsense of measuring ducks (*$&@$) and get onto the real matter of actually keeping them alive, along with all the other earthling ducks and not by exclusion because then it will be already to late for your own duck. If not already i repeat.

We have already lost to many kinds and species of ducks... and the climate is not for sure on a reversible to natural basis anymore. I would go on for the environmental destruction through pollution and rape but i gather you have already lost me so i am keeping this simple.

Its getting hellishly hot....

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Glad to hear that you came through ok. Here in Lockport we lost power sometime during the night, but it came back on about 10:30 am. However internet was out for over 24 hours, so no phone.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Um...It's winter here in Ohio and there is snow on the ground...whodathunk? I'm not really seeing any major weather changes here. But that can always change as well.

I'm sure most of you have heard the saying.

"If you don't like the weather here, stick around, it'll change in 5 minutes."

But considering the heat wave and mini drought of 2011, I say, "Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!" The farmers can use the water come spring.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by seekingpeace

LOL I have to wonder where in the middle you are, since I heard almost the exact report this morning. 29 on Saturday, downhill from there!

This is why this "aged" women stays indoors and does projects all winter.

It has been great though, for the brave souls that like to Ice Fish. Lots of thick ice on most of the water around here.
edit on 3-1-2014 by chiefsmom because: afterthought

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Pretty tough winter so far here in the Dallas-Fort Worth, TX area. In Novemeber and December we had 24 freezes combined that's the most for a season. In early December we had one of the worst ice storms this area has witnessed.

And on Monday and Tuesday of next week we're expecting lows of 18 and 14 degrees F

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
North shore Nova Scotia here. Minus 30 windchill and blowing and drifting snow. Tomorrow same. Mondays forcast, is +10. Will feel like heaven after this.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

bally001
reply to post by Kitora

Interesting...also definately one of those summers we've been anticipating here in Aussie with record high temps above 40C up to nearly 48C. Round 110F or thereabouts. Quite a contrast. Was putting in new fencing today. Heat cost me a case of cool lager and I'm still sober. Bet the beers are chilled up your way.

Regards Bally.

40s sound cold to us here as we use Fahrenheit while you use Celsius so thanks for converting that. Wow it's hot. Is it humid too? I can take the heat as long as it's not humid. That just makes me feel tired and out of sorts. . Living in Virginia the only creatures who enjoy summer here are the mosquitos. HHH Hazy hot and humid. But Autumn is lovely. Golden warm and blessedly dry. That usually lasts until well into November and sometimes into December but not this year. It got cool pretty early. I am already looking forward to that February thaw we get every year where we get days in the 80s mid winter. Today it's barely up to 35 but it's bright and sunny and if you're in the sun it's not bad.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
PS: I'm glad to see you guys don't go in for that room temperature beer like the Brits do. Icy cold goes down so nicely on a hot day. I love a cold beer on the beach in summer.

Memories....like the corners of my mind.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

AccessDenied
North shore Nova Scotia here. Minus 30 windchill and blowing and drifting snow. Tomorrow same. Mondays forcast, is +10. Will feel like heaven after this.

Will feel like northern heaven you mean. LOL. Canada is too cold for me. Heck New England is too cold for me. I moved from Long Island twenty two years ago and I don't miss those winters. Here we get snow but it's a rare occasion. Once every few years or so we get real snow and we usually get a little dusting at least once each winter. I mean measurable snow of an inch or more. They closed the schools for two inches of snow and coming from NY we had to laugh about that. It was closed for a week because they don't have the equipment to clear the streets. But every once in a while we get a foot and that is a special occasion. I know how to handle a car in the snow but the native Virginians aren't used to it and they ballet all over the place doing piroetts with their vehicles. I stay off the streets because of them not because I can't drive in the snow. Although once I did a 360 on an icy road and my car wound up between a mile marker and a light pole and I couldn't open either door. The trooper who rescued me walked around the car twice stopping to look in on me a few times while shaking his head. Finally he made his way back to the drivers side window and asked how in the heck I managed to do that. Just lucky I guess is what I told him.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The foothills of WV:
It got down to 6 degrees last night. COLD!! We also got around 6-7 inches of snow. None of this is out-of-the-ordinary for this time of year. Our winters are mild sometimes, and other times they can be brutal. I always shake my head at how the US news media acts like they're shocked that snow storms are hitting in the middle of winter. I guess they need to get viewers any way they can. lol What I'm saying is that the weather is doing what it's done since I can remember, and I'm 42, BTW. Sunday-Tuesday we supposed to see -15 below zero. Now that's a weenie-shrinker!!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I remember getting dizzy once while driving in blowing snow. It was blowing at the windshield and just gave a weird illusion of floating that had me disoriented.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join