It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vehicle Mounted Laser Tests (video) . Unreal!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Yup the future is here, would hate to be on the other side of this technology!

This LiveLeak vid seems to be more clear.
www.liveleak.com...

edit on 3-1-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
These kind of weapons are truly scary. Not that we don't already have things worse in our inventory, but the natural progression of weapons tech is and portability for deployment just makes my skin crawl.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

It will be more impressive if they ever figure out how to make the lazer kill incoming targets after less than a second of exposure to the beam. If you ask me, this current version of the HEL takes way to long to kill its targets.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Jezz, looks like something you could do from home with a magnifying glass lense and the sun. Is that the best they got?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
A few atoms thick layer of copper plating on those rounds and its game over for the laser.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

IbcBen
These kind of weapons are truly scary. Not that we don't already have things worse in our inventory, but the natural progression of weapons tech is and portability for deployment just makes my skin crawl.

Imagine that this weapon has already been employed years now directly on persons in the middle east by you guys...

I don t mean you as people, but rather as an army and government, which sucks.

I love the Americans and all their attributes but all our governments worldwide have gone over the top messing with us and nature.

Problem is, unfortunately that no matter when and if the equilibrium back to natural is ever established, the environmental disaster is already too far and irreversible, if not yet in a path of no return...

Yours Sincerely,
George

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

TrueBrit

It will be more impressive if they ever figure out how to make the lazer kill incoming targets after less than a second of exposure to the beam. If you ask me, this current version of the HEL takes way to long to kill its targets.

This is just the version and part of its content suitable for you guys.
Trust me, the equipment they already have is far beyond your imagination/expectation/requirements...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

I very much doubt that any current lazer weaponry in existence has the capabilities that I can either imagine, or would require if I was to be the fellow whose job it is to create effective technology to remove missiles from the air, and further lazer capability in general. For one thing, I would be after a lazer system which delivered all of the power of a sustained burst in less than a tenth of a second, in one fat pulse. I would be after creating a device which would be capable of turning a target to vapour so fast that it had no time to produce a classical explosion of any kind before being whisked away on the damned breeze, and could be shoulder mounted, rather than relying on several tonnes of machinery to produce the effect or transport the platform.

Anything less than that would be a failiure as far as I am concerned.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

TrueBrit
I would be after a lazer system which delivered all of the power of a sustained burst in less than a tenth of a second, in one fat pulse. I would be after creating a device which would be capable of turning a target to vapour

EXTERMINATE!

More seriously, though, I agree with you: this tech is still slow to destroy its target. I saw the test video. It took almost a minute of shining the laser, non-stop, at a fuel tank to cause a small fire on a boat.

edit on 3-1-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

TrueBrit

I very much doubt that any current lazer weaponry in existence has the capabilities that I can either imagine, or would require if I was to be the fellow whose job it is to create effective technology to remove missiles from the air, and further lazer capability in general. For one thing, I would be after a lazer system which delivered all of the power of a sustained burst in less than a tenth of a second, in one fat pulse. I would be after creating a device which would be capable of turning a target to vapour so fast that it had no time to produce a classical explosion of any kind before being whisked away on the damned breeze, and could be shoulder mounted, rather than relying on several tonnes of machinery to produce the effect or transport the platform.

Anything less than that would be a failure as far as I am concerned.

Existent already and in use.
By the way, not pulse but rather burst. You may use streak if you fancy.

AS far as the backpack is concerned that is not available in Krypton, let alone the Predators are laughing right now as it is not within the boundaries of this universe to accomplish.

...but you have good imagination.

Use it to see behind the lines and pictures you are fed and submitted. Its there, you are just not shown.
Besides a local unit operating this is just like a backpack for a general. Only he has lost a few around the place. Wish it will not be yours, because i can already see you through those drones. Yes. Look up...

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

TrueBrit

I very much doubt that any current lazer weaponry in existence has the capabilities that I can either imagine

Nuclear powered FEL.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

I just started watching Doctor Who, love it!

Keep in mind the FEL you saw tested was on the USS Paul Foster. An old tiny destroyer. Imagine a FEL powered by a huge nuclear powered carrier ... yeah.

The Navy's death ray weapon keeps burning through laser records, on its way to the ultimate goal of searing through 2,000 feet of steel per second.

www.popsci.com...

edit on 4-1-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Being a veteran I see this as great. I never thought I would see the day lasers would shoot down mortars. We were able to track them on radar before and locate their firing position but by that time they had usually scooted out of the area and those things had already done there damage.

Being able to knock them down before they got to us would have made life much calmer. A few of those at every camp and after a week of trying they would have abandoned further attempts.

Now ramp up the response time and increase the burst then add one to each convoy to knock down RPGs and they have something all soldiers would appreciate.
edit on 11-1-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Hey, this is a first cut. You need a lot more power, though. Although at the current level, you could burn people really well.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

That's some [snip] fine tracking software....

Loiter time of the laser leaves a bit to be desired though... But since the morters were gyroscopically stabilized, I guess I can forgive it.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Imagine a FEL powered by a huge nuclear powered carrier ... yeah.

I would like to see the behemoth of a klystron required to make the Ev levels nessecary to take advantage of a nuclear reactors power output....

And STEERING a near reletavistic beam of electrons would be a challange as well.

Not to mention, doing it in non-vacuum.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

ENrgLee

Imagine a FEL powered by a huge nuclear powered carrier ... yeah.

I would like to see the behemoth of a klystron required to make the Ev levels nessecary to take advantage of a nuclear reactors power output....

And STEERING a near reletavistic beam of electrons would be a challange as well.

Not to mention, doing it in non-vacuum.

It's already planned to be used. This means they either ..
a) Have it all figured out already
or
b) Have very little left to figure out.

It will be classified of course so you will not be able to see it for a while I imagine.

Here is some public documentation you can read.
VIBRATIONAL ANALYSIS OF A SHIPBOARD FREE ELECTRON LASER BEAM PATH
www.dtic.mil...

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Oh, I see they went for a completely different design strategy than I was invisioning....

Very well then, that makes one of my questions irrelivant.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I would love to see this video but it's gone.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join