Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

How do you feel about your approaching death?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

Is that from something?

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Fear of death is fear of the irrational. More specifically, fear is the result of trying to process the irrational.

Try to imagine what it's like to experience nonexistence. You will fail and it will terrify you.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Meh, I no longer fear death. No one gets out alive anyway.

As I have gotten older, had children , and lived through the death of very close family members and friends my view on life and death has changed drastically.

Death IS inevitable. It will happen, we have been dying since we were born, so there is absolutely pointless to try and avoid it. Sorry, biotech fanatic, you will die.

I chose to focus on how I live rather than on how I will die.

An ex of mine was killed in car accident last year and it was hard because it was sudden and he was young. No one knew he was going to die that soon, and I doubt he did either. But what spoke to me was what was said about him at his funeral. No one talked about how much money he had, no one asked what he drove or did for a living, and no one cared about what he owned. All that was said and reminisced about was his heart. How he made others feel, how he loved, how much he was loved, and the fact that the man had a heart of gold.

That spoke volumes to me.
It matters not WHAT we do in this lifetime but, HOW. How we live, how we love, and the experience we do have with the time we are allotted.

Jesus once said "Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?" Matthew 6:27 KJV
in other words : how many of you can add an hour to your life by worrying?

Why waste time and precious energy by worrying about something you have no control of?
Live your life, peeps, not your death

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
People say, why worry about what you have no control over? I suspect these people are not old, with disease and death still many years away. Wait until you are staring death in the face before you make your easy statements such as, I am too busy living to worry about death. This is particularly true for young Christians who are confident what their post-death life involves. Your confidence is not justified.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

LadyMachiatto

Why waste time and precious energy by worrying about something you have no control of?
Live your life, peeps, not your death

Once you truly face death, you no longer worry about it.

Why let death be unknown and something to be feared?
It is a reward for a life well lived.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Quite a strong charge upon someone you don't know.

I have started death in the face many times, thank you. This exactly WHY I have no desire to waste any of my life worrying of it. I know it's coming, I know I have no control over it, and I choose to focus on how I live with the time I do have. I could die tomorrow, what do I know?

And FYI, I have absolutely NO idea what is on the other side if anything at all, Christian or not, I don't know.
You made a very short sighted assumption that because I'm a young Christian, I am confident about where I am going. How silly is that!? What do I know? If I pretended to know exactly what is in store for me, despite never experiencing it, that would make me quite ignorant and egotistical. Wouldn't you agree?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The conventionally religious mostly feel they know what is coming their way. Heaven, etc.
Near death experience suggests it might be something.

But lets look at the reality of death. Death has a powerful negative connotation for good reasons. And why is that?

You spend 80 years as what ever your name is, with an identity involving your birth family, your marriage family, your career, your personality, your mental capacity, your physical characteristics, your residence on planet Earth, and then in the blink of an eye it is all gone. Try to imagine the reality of this change. All totally gone. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing. Just that it is a reality-shattering event.

And if you continue to consciously survive that reality-shattering event, you find yourself in a non-physical world that is extremely different than this physical world. Yes, they are reading your every thought. Yes, if you think about somewhere, you will go there.

Religious people. Please enjoy your confidence in your knowledge of your post-death future. Me, I'm a bit scared, and I just hope a benevolent force is ultimately in control.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Me, I'm a bit scared, and I just hope a benevolent force is ultimately in control.

I hope WE are in control. I do not want someone else's idea of a "benevolent' guy in charge.

Most "benevolent' people have some nasty habits up their sleeves.

P

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Dying is not as difficult..

It's growing old that can be difficult.

Things become familiar.. things that were amusing become less amusing.

You may lose some friends, or physical ailments can make ordinary life difficult to manage..

But surely in the end, you lose everything that is dear to you.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
When I was young I thought I was invincible, now I am much older and I know I am not invincible. I lost my dad in 2012 and then my best friend in the whole world in 2013. For the past 2 years all I can think about is death, and what happens after death.

I read about some people who did some research into how much weight if any people lose at the time of death. 21 grams is how much each participant lost. Some lost their urine and such, some of them didn't. That didn't matter because they were all on a bed and the bed was being weighed not just the person. Now with all of that being said. I also believe that there was a movie made of it. So is it true? I believe it is, also, now is it your soul? I want to believe it.

After my dad's death my friend stayed with me the whole day of his funeral and a while after we got to talking about if I died and if God allowed it I would make sure if she buys a lotto ticket that she won. She said if she died she would be a bird looking into my _ I told her no no no, give me the millions lol Well I have been playing and losing. But last week I had my blinds open because my kitty wanted to look outside and was going through the blinds so I pulled them up out of his way. Later that day I saw a bird sitting on the bracket for our awning looking in the house. It didn't stay long but I kept watching and it happened again about a half an hour later. Was it her? I say yes.

Everyone at one time or another is afraid of death. But for me. The last ten years now I have not been afraid of it. I do not wish to leave yet. But I know I am a good person and when my time goes I will be starting a new way of existence. Hopefully with my best friend and my dad by my side.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I once thought I saw Death coming for me and I saw a figure descending down out of the sky I will call Death. There was actually a tornado apparently in the same position I saw Death. I must have been asleep or half asleep. I do not know who was with Death. I do not know how otherwise I could have seen what I saw. I was spared. I did not want to go. I felt I had things to do in my life. I still feel that way. I believe we are put here to do important work even if you do not know what that is. Then you die and you might get a chance to come back and do more work or learn new lessons forgetting all about your previous life.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, “Not good at all”.

Frankly, I can’t think of anything more profoundly intense or saddening than to contemplate the inevitability of one’s own death, and the realization that it may be just around the corner. I’ve experienced a fair number of close friends and family die up close, but have yet to witness one that was pleasant.

I guess everyone has their own opinion. I’ve heard a million of them, and have got my own. Mine’s not as positive and/or casual as many that I’ve heard. I mean, unless you figure it’s pretty much a lock you’ll be meeting up with 72 virgins (God, I don’t think I’ve ever even seen one in real life!) or you have exclusive reservations through St Peter personally to meet up at the Pearly Gates, I just can’t think of any rational reason to look forward to or to celebrate the notion of soon rubbing elbows with the Grim Reaper. No, thank you!

I think people throughout history have been rather creative and effective in conjuring up totally irrational belief systems to help them cope with the finality of death. People (all of us) have an extraordinary ability to rationalize anything under the sun if it helps to minimize the overwhelming fear of our own demise, and that in all likelihood, our one and ONLY shot at existence is now nearing the end, and it will NEVER, EVER happen again. The concept of NEVER, EVER is kinda like infinity or the number zero. It’s hard to get a handle on it, and can actually be overwhelming if you try too hard to understand it.

I know my view on this is quite unpopular with most of the members here, and probably even ticks some of you off. So be it. You have your beliefs and I’ve got mine, such as they are (cough, cough...). Truth be known, I often think that life would have been much easier, more fulfilling and made a hellova lot more sense to me if I only had the ability to believe in things based solely on the power of faith. But, that’s one human trait that has escaped me for as long as I’ve been on this Earth. I’ve never been able to get a handle on that elusive concept. At any rate, I’m truly not trying to diminish or minimize the beliefs expressed by others here.

In my limited way, I’ve always felt that life here is basically just a crap shoot. It appeared suddenly out of nothingness, provided a few laughs, a few tears and a brief window over a vast landscape we’ll never truly comprehend, and will then just as suddenly disipate back into the nothingness from where it came. You never know when your number’s up, and it’s best not to dwell on it. It’ll happen when it happens, and not one of us will escape it.

Now on that note, let the good times roll...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
A relative of mine was an alcoholic early in life, and died at around the age of 60 of liver failure. He was in a coma before he died, and had arranged for a minister to baptize him again. While he was in the coma, the minister sprinkled some water on his feet and did the ritual of baptism. Immediately thereafter, my relative raised his arms toward heaven, dropped his arms, and died.

Another relative was dying in bed. She was very old. Just before she died, she said "I hear the bells!!" (of a carriage coming to pick her up).

21 years ago, I was praying when I was visited by Jesus.

I'd say you have nothing to fear about this being the end. This is the dark, loathsome place compared to heaven.

There is a movie coming out very soon about a little boy who went to heaven and came back. I suggest you go see it.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Beyond the actual fear of the unknown, there is a sense of 'what if I didn't complete my purpose' that is terrifying. Oh and throw in picking the right religion/spiritual walk and we have a nice bucket of feels swooshing inside me.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Ummm..."My approaching death"...what a strange way to broach a subject.

Why?

Do you have some insider knowledge......just itching to be shared?

Is this a..............TEOTWAWKI...Thread..............?

YouSir
edit on 5-1-2014 by YouSir because: one needed to mark the question
edit on 5-1-2014 by YouSir because: twice

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I've done a ludicrous amount of research on the potential hereafter and have pieced together some fairly strong theories that do not paint death as the worse thing that could happen to some people (given one sees mediumship as potentially credible).

On a more personal level apart from it hurting my loved ones, I hope for it all the time; I guiltily hope for a fatal but gentle disease, or maybe kidney failure, etc… etc… Even with my longing for it there is still a sense of nervous anticipation there for me.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Strayed

Don't wish for death...please take it from a dying old man, don't do that.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

It is not death that I fear. It is how I am going to die that scares me.
I would not like to die in a Fire or Drowning.
However, I have a plan if the SHTF and WW3 starts or I am diagnosed with Cancer or if I am going to die a slow painful death.
I intend to overdose on Morphine. It is quick, painless and over in seconds. You just go to sleep and never wake up.
I do not believe in the after life or that you go somewhere else, so I do not fear Hell or Heaven because I do not believe they exist.
Death is nothing to fear but the way you die is something to worry about.
edit on 1/5/2014 by InquisitiveMind2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I was thinking about death at a very young age.

Maybe 5 or so.

At first, I was worried about how I may be taken out. Wondered how much pain was involved.

Then I realized that after I was gone, there was no body left to be in a state of fear, so it was seen as a release.

Lastly, I feared oblivion. Not death of my physical body, but of my consciousness, and the awareness of my ever existing.

That still kinda gets to me, but not so much.

How many have come and gone, that were lost over the eons?

What percentage of history stores the memories of those passed?

Very, very tiny few are remembered as the cycles repeat.

Why should I be any different?

A few eons in the future, and we're all obliviated.

So no, not really much fear, more just acceptance, and meh about it.

Seems to be time wasted thinking on it, anymore.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

cass1dy09
Jesus said the world endures but an hour. I will be ready for eternity. All though in the words of Steve Jobs, "Nobody wants to die"

Yet when he did, his last words were, "Oh, wow! Oh, wow! Oh, wow!"

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join