It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you feel about your approaching death?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

But still we gotta play the hand that has been dealt , hey 7 out of the 10 days i dont like my hand being mister invisible to everyone on this planet , but im gonna sit this one out.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Lazarus Short
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

#1 I'm not a skin job.

#2 I never wanted to be here anyway...

Are you here against your will?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I used to be terrified of death, but I find I am becoming more comfortable with it the older I get.

My daughter is old enough now to remember me always, and that was an almost paralyzing fear I had for years after she was born.

I have had a chance to think about it a lot on the last year or so, and I can say that I am accepting of it if not welcoming of it when it decides to come for me.

I am religious, but had extreme fear with the same faith at times, so that doesn't solve all of the anxiety for everybody.

If you are not ok with it, I don't think it cares at all. It will come when it is destined to come whether invited or not.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Personally I do not fear death. I think there is something worse than the actual act of dyeing and that is to suffer the 'ego death' while still being alive. That is basically where every single attachment that a person has is removed from their emotional experience. This can be through choice or not.

This has happened to me and the result was exactly the same emotionally as experiencing the 'end' except I have another chance to rebuild a little playground before my heart actually beats the last beat.
The fear comes through the attachments for me. Once I had reconciled my emotions towards these things It got easier to let go and just experience things without fear of judgment from others.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Considering some progress in Biotech on the aging front:

'Wolverine' Healing Gene Found and,
Researchers Reverse Aging Process in Mice

I'm of the position that Mortality may eventually be OPTIONAL.

We'll still have Taxes, but, Death, the big "D", the final "goodbye", may soon be just another Illness that can be treated, at least in the case of death by old age.

Further, right now, yes, available right now, if one has the scratch for it, Human Head Transplants are Available, so, with bank enough, any sufficiently geriatric or infirm person could trade in their old failing body for a new young, fit, healthy donor body.

As to how that works out with an 80 year old head on a 20 year old body, weh, well, I don't know, but, if someone were motivated and strapped enough to want to avoid buying the farm, they could buy a new replacement body and live, however long a new replacement body would allow them to do so.

As for me; the whole head transplant thing just feels super creepy to me.
I am, however, excited about age reversal solutions such that I look forward to living as long as I want to live, barring accidents.

Eventually, as technologies like 3D Printing mature where we can print out fully functional Biological replacement parts using our very own DNA, such technologies stand to eventually mature to the point where we could possibly print out a complete custom replacement body and then transplant into that.

Also, as artificial technologies grow and advance along the lines of neurological prosthetics, we may very well graduate to having the ability to download into more durable fully synthetic, self maintaining, sustainable, better than natural biology artificial custom bodies.

Thus, there are a number of option available and on the horizon such that the very first "immortals" may very well be alive today.

I certainly plan on being one of them if at all possible.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Death... Not every death occurs after a period of physical ineptitudes and indignities. Personally speaking, I cannot afford a pension, so I am hoping that around age fifty nine, I get struck by a bolt of lightning, or get my head blown off by some enterprising young bastard with a taste for robbery and violence.

I really do not want to get old enough to experience even greater misery and powerlessness than I have already experienced. Its bad enough I have no power to change the state of my country, let alone the idea of having no power to change the state of my underwear, feed myself, or any of the other horrific crap you hear about being foisted on the aged.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

No one else is going to want to be around the people that are so egotistical as you wanting to "live forever".

You people that think like that are creating your own Hell.

And there's a number of you contemplating this.

And the real question is - how many of you people are experimenting right now - to achieve this?

For the rest of us - we will "die" when God wants us to leave this existence - and not a second before.
edit on 3-1-2014 by Happy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
"Preceded"

And good

Pretty sure there's been more than 2 or 3 or 8 threads on this already with slightly different variations as my memory vaguely recalls, but, yeah, good. Yourself?

edit on 1/3/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Happy1

No one else is going to want to be around the people that are so egotistical as you wanting to "live forever".

You people that think like that are creating your own Hell.

And there's a number of you contemplating this.

Please point to the part where I was calling you names, or presuming upon anyone's personal character?

Right.

The way I look at things, the Universe is VAST.

Right now, we're not out there exploring it hands-on. I'd very much personally like to take a tour of our Stellar Neighborhood, if not the Galaxy as opposed to resigning myself to this singular tiny speck of dirt.

Anyone and everyone else is more than welcome to keep this planet.

As for me and others like me, well, there's hundreds of billions of planets, planetoids, moons, and interesting rocks all over the place it'd be nice to leave some footprints on.

Further, if there's anyone "Else" out there, chances of meeting them, whomever they might be, are vastly improved with prolonged longevity, and it'd be a nice gesture to say "Hello" to another intelligence as it could be they themselves may have never met anyone else in the big black either.

Thus, if it makes you, or anyone else happy, you guys can have mortality.
Me?
No thanks.
It's a big Universe and there's plenty room for me and anyone and everyone else out there to live as long as they want.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
While I'm comfortable in my messianic faith, and believe what I believe... I have had issues with existential dread since I was 7 or 8. Dreams centered around those feelings that were re-occuring and continuing until early adult hood. They resurfaced after both of my parents passing close together and myself being "the head of the family" so to speak.

I cope by realizing regardless of the fear, none of us are getting out alive. And A. either I will be ok because of my faith. B. I will be surprised because what is next; is nothing like any of us have a clue about or C. It won't matter.

The irrational fear is there, and it is incurable and I accept that. I try to harness that energy towards focusing on my goals and enjoying life in the meantime.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Death scares me but I also welcome it even though I am not sure what comes after, if anything. Why do I welcome it? Maybe because I am at a point in my life where the hopes and dreams of my past are now clearly bullcrap. I now live in the clear light of reality.

I notice now in middle age that the clear light of reality becomes more clear and it life resembles a tragic shakepearan play. To be or not to be?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Thus, there are a number of option available and on the horizon such that the very first "immortals" may very well be alive today.

A science fantasy pipe dream there is nothing science has got that still keep you breathing beyond 100. Life extension means nothing without the quality of life that goes with it.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Strangely enough - you could meet so much more in your spirit form, if you wanted to -

Unless you were bound in hell. I'm sorry - I don't want to be completely negative here.

But - one has to ponder what humans were put to tortuous deaths to help the scientific minds of the last few centuries to come up with their "life enhancing" ideas.

To the thread - I'm not afraid of death - been "near death" and it's not frightening at all. Just live your life in a way that you can defend your "choices" or mistakes - I am not perfect, and don't pretend to be -

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I don't want to be parted from my children as yet. But when the time comes it comes.

Experience rather than belief has shown me that the other side exists, I an intrigued.

I generally like new experiences.

Death is perhaps just a new beginning.

I mean really, the world sucks. It is infested with greed.

P

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Interesting thread!

To be honest, It's not so much the fact I'll die that scares me, but more the way I die! If I pass away quietly in my sleep, I'll be none the wiser. If I have a horrific accident that causes much pain and a prolonged time of agony before the 'event', then that worries me, as I'm a big baby, and don't handle pain well.

But either way, there's not a lot I can do about the way I go, so don't spend a moment fretting about it. My Mom dropped down dead in the street whilst she was walking to school collecting my little sister from school. She had a brain hemorrhage.

So, in that light, I concentrate on living each day as it comes, as you never know when or how it will happen.

edit on 3-1-2014 by MissBeck because: Punctuation

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Happy1

Strangely enough - you could meet so much more in your spirit form, if you wanted to -

Unless you were bound in hell. I'm sorry - I don't want to be completely negative here.

But - one has to ponder what humans were put to tortuous deaths to help the scientific minds of the last few centuries to come up with their "life enhancing" ideas.

To the thread - I'm not afraid of death - been "near death" and it's not frightening at all. Just live your life in a way that you can defend your "choices" or mistakes - I am not perfect, and don't pretend to be -

You're talking to an Atheist, so, Spirits? Hell?
That's all cartoon make-believe to me.

When I die, whether it's in the next hour, the next week, 100,000 years from now, or even a Billion, there is no Candy Land in the sky for me.
I wouldn't want that anyway. All the fantasy descriptions of Heaven sound like vomit to me.
Also, there is no disappointment in Atheism because, there is no 'you' around any more upon death to be disappointed.
Nah. I'll pass on the cartoon nonsense.

As biotech stands right now, the first people to have optional mortality are alive today.
As stated before, I plan to be among that lot.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I am a Christian and I fear death, at least the older I get I fear it. Sure I believe I am going to heaven when I die, but what scares me about death is the process of dying, but more so than that I fear looking back at my life and realizing I did nothing. I feel that way now, I felt that way 10 years ago, 20 years ago, I begin to wonder if I will feel the same on my deathbed. I worry that when I make it to heaven, the Lord will ask me what did I do with all of the blessings He had given me, the healthy life and food on the table everyday, and loving family? And what will I say? "Well I didn't really do much for you at all Lord, mostly just was self absorbed and spent most of my day stuffing my face and browsing the internet, while the world around me suffered." I hope maybe my death will have some meaning someday, as I have given up on lying to myself and others that I will be anything other than a bull-headed self absorbed weak Christian.

To realize I never truly lived for anybody but myself when I die, is what scares me about death.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MissBeck

Being a nurse and seeing death - I would be glad to drop dead - massive heartattact, quick accident - lying in a bed with a stroke, or dying slowly of alzhiemers disease would be horrible.

But none of us has a choice, and I, personally, believe that God knows each and every one of us, and has His plan.

God bless you and your mother.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Wondrous excitement and profound curiosity, without the feeling of haste towards the answers.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I think death depends on which way you greet it, I unfortunately met with it both by another's hand and my own. Though not in the way someone held a gun to my head but being in various circumstances where I was near death; while the other was deep depression that pushed me close to death. The former scared me but the latter I welcomed it given how my life had turned out. As of right now given that I have come out of that depression a bit I'd say I'm on the edge. Not enough fear but in a way I do care it's as if one wrong move can push me over in where I would open my arms wide or turn about and run away.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join