Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Church Of Bones

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I would never want to be on display like that.

Another church...The remains of about 40,000 people grace the floors, cielings and walls. There is even a chandeliere made of bones.

Creepy to be piled on top of each other like that.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Looks like a den fit for a badger!!! Seriously though it is my opinion what an amazing architectural design and artistic as well! It is beautiful.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Brotherman

Looks like a den fit for a badger!!! Seriously though it is my opinion what an amazing architectural design and artistic as well! It is beautiful.

Many have said the same thing. It is fascinating in a way but...I can't help feeling it is disrespectful to the dead people who were used in such a way. I mean maybe if my bones were resting in the lap of an angel statue or something, but these poor souls are just piled on top of each other and used as pieces of an architectual design. I dunno, kind of weird, just sayin'.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

If my memory serves me correctly, they were placed in this manner because there was no where else to put the bodies as they were dying en masse from the plague and this was all done by men of faith. I would surmise it would be better this way then to let them go "un-cared" for. I could be wrong about that I would have to do some double checking on that for you so don't quote me on it just yet.

The inscription over the door reads: “Stop here and think of the fate that will befall you – 1816,” a helpful reminder put in place by the Carmelite monks who built the chapel that year on the grounds of the larger church dating to 1719.
It is not merely decorated with bones — the walls are constructed from femurs with mortar. Skulls and other bones are placed on the interior at regular intervals, including grinning down from the barrel-vaulted ceiling, giving the place a pleasing, yet spooky, symmetry. The highlight of the ossuary is a complete skeleton covered in gold that hangs at the front of the chapel. The practice of moving bones from cemetery plots into ossuaries after a period of time in the ground (usually seven to ten years) was common throughout Catholic Europe until recently. The bones in this ossuary are the remains of 1,245 monks whose bones were displaced when the ossuary was built. There are several other bone chapels in Portugal, the most famous being in Evora.

Source

I stand corrected. Actually I am half right the one from portugal is the one the above snippet is quoted from the one with the bone chandelier is made from plague and war victims.

There is a church in the Czech Republic where the alters, chandaliers, bells and art are all made of Human bones. The Church is called the Sedlec Ossuary and the story behind it is a bit bizarre.
photo by Marcin Szala
Sedlec Ossuary Church of bones
40,000 dead, the skulls and skeletons, centuries of war and plague victims, all form the morbid artwork that fills the church - Sedlec’s Church - All Saints ossuary in the Czech Republic. In 1511, the ossuary was created - a half-blind monk gathered the human bones of the black death victims, which were added to with victims from 15th century Hussite Wars. Frantisek Rint, wood carver and artist was employed by the Schwarzenberg family to imaginatively compose the bones into works of art; amongst his creations came the Schwarzenberg family’s coat of arms, and a chandelier containing every bone in the human body, composed of several bodies. In the four corners of the ossuary sit four ‘bells’, pile upon pile of bones carefully stacked with a hollowed center.

Source
edit on 3-1-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Thanks for including this information. I guess they had to put these poor people somewhere. Still...it is rather overwhelming in such numbers being piled up like that.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Night Star

And... why would you care...?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

FraternitasSaturni

Night Star

I wouldn't, but my family's descendants might. Or...it may bother strangers like it's kind of bothering me to see people's bones like that.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Night Star

FraternitasSaturni

Night Star

I wouldn't, but my family's descendants might. Or...it may bother strangers like it's kind of bothering me to see people's bones like that.

Yea because... they would recognize you for sure... "OH MY GAWD - THERES GRANDMA!"

No seriously... not. at. all.

Oh the human psyche...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
A church full of bones...creepy. You'd think they'd have a more appropriate place for them by now. It seems disrespectful to leave these bones piled up on each other like this. I understand though that it might be considered historically significant. Still, creepy lol

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I get the same feeling from it as you do, but I think it is because of how we have been taught to look at death more that it being truly disturbing.

My first feeling is that they should be buried/covered up... it makes me uncomfortable looking at it, but what have we always been taught about death/dead bodies? Bury them. And bury them fairly quickly in most cases... in closed caskets (during the wake) no less (at least half the time).

Most of us here in the US have been taught that death is unpleasant to look at and funerals are for sorrow not celebrations of life. Most every other culture embraces death on many levels and have no fear of it or get no discomfort from looking at it. It doesn't make them sad, or remind them of their own "pained, unhappy" end. This structure would be a lasting memorial (a beautiful one at that) to them I would think.

That's my babbling psycho analysis of it anyway.
YMMV of course.

If I look past my own "ick factor" I can see the beauty of the bodies in *being* the actual architecture. But it does still make me a wee bit uncomfy.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

"OH MY GAWD - THERES GRANDMA!"

That cracked me up! I almost spit my soda out!

top topics

join