It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Mermaid thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Flatfish
reply to post by Akragon

Personally, I think there is some truth to it.

I remember when I first saw this film and needless to say, the debunkers came crawling out of the woodwork to say it was a fake or a "mockudrama," etc... as I'm sure they will again. One of their main arguments was the fact that they used actors in the making of the film and the fact that so much of the film was animated.

When faced with all the debunker's accusations, I decided to google the names of the actual marine biologist being portrayed in the film as well as their work and publications. I don't remember his name right now, but the M.B. being portrayed by the main character in the film did actually exist and as it turns out he had created several websites in the past with the hopes of releasing this information to the public. When you try to visit any of those sites now, you are greeted by a full-page notice from the Depts. of Justice & Homeland Security informing you that the sites have been seized.

I believe that the actual marine biologists who were personally involved in the "beachings" and recovery teams were silenced by TPTB. I believe they were told to shut up about this subject and threatened about what may happen if they didn't. This is why I believe they had to use actors to get the information out.

I believe the reason for secrecy is to conceal the fact that the U.S. Navy has developed a very powerful sonar weapon, (which happens to be extremely harmful to marine mammals) as a counter-measure to high-speed cavitating torpedoes. These torpedoes reach speeds in excess of 150 mph and shy of some kind of a sonar pulse acting like a sledge hammer on the torpedo before it can reach it's target, a U.S. sub would be utterly defenseless.

But that's my own little conspiracy theory.

Go ahead and delete this conspiracy from your mind. It's fake and the show actually says so. See the post above mine (1 or 2 up) that has the disclaimer which was actually broadcast at the end of the film.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Unthought Known
Go ahead and delete this conspiracy from your mind. It's fake and the show actually says so. See the post above mine (1 or 2 up) that has the disclaimer which was actually broadcast at the end of the film.

Here is the "disclaimer" from the post you referenced;

"None of the individuals or entities depicted in the film are affiliated or associated with it in any way, no have approved its contents. Any similarities to actual persons living or dead are entirely coincidental. Though certain events in this film are fictional, navy sonar tests have been directly implicated in whale beachings. The bloop is a real phenomenon. There is still debate about what it may be."

Maybe you could be so kind as to point out the part that says it's "fake."

Let's re-visit this disclaimer, shall we?

What it says is that the individuals or entities depicted, aren't associated with, nor have they given approval of, the contents of the film. What it doesn't say is that they're "fake."

Goes on to say that any similarities are coincidental. What similarities? Why would there be any if it's a total "fake?"

Or, maybe this is the part you're referring to?

Though certain events in this film are fictional,

I think any reasonable person would expect this statement to be included, especially seeing how a large portion of the film was animated. But all it really says is that "certain" events are fictional which IMO, is a far cry from an open admission of "fakery."

Then it ends like this;

navy sonar tests have been directly implicated in whale beachings. The bloop is a real phenomenon. There is still debate about what it may be."

Huh, imagine that!

Definitely an admission of "fakery" if I ever saw one.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Flatfish
but the M.B. being portrayed by the main character in the film did actually exist and as it turns out he had created several websites in the past with the hopes of releasing this information to the public. When you try to visit any of those sites now, you are greeted by a full-page notice from the Depts. of Justice & Homeland Security informing you that the sites have been seized.

As discussed here before, that is just a hoax....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As you can see, BELIEVEINMERMAIDS' primary name server is set to DNS1.STABLETRANSIT.COM. That name server points to RackSpace Hosting's cloud servers. That is a normal web host company and is not government owned. That means the domain name is NOT seized. It also means the seizure notice is NOT directly from the government. ALL of the other mermaid websites point to the same host too. That is normal for people who own multiple domain names but one web host.

and
edit on 4-1-2014 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Flatfish

Unthought Known

Here is the "disclaimer" from the post you referenced;

"None of the individuals or entities depicted in the film are affiliated or associated with it in any way, no have approved its contents. Any similarities to actual persons living or dead are entirely coincidental. Though certain events in this film are fictional, navy sonar tests have been directly implicated in whale beachings. The bloop is a real phenomenon. There is still debate about what it may be."

Maybe you could be so kind as to point out the part that says it's "fake."

Let's re-visit this disclaimer, shall we?

What it says is that the individuals or entities depicted, aren't associated with, nor have they given approval of, the contents of the film. What it doesn't say is that they're "fake."

Goes on to say that any similarities are coincidental. What similarities? Why would there be any if it's a total "fake?"

Or, maybe this is the part you're referring to?

Though certain events in this film are fictional,

I think any reasonable person would expect this statement to be included, especially seeing how a large portion of the film was animated. But all it really says is that "certain" events are fictional which IMO, is a far cry from an open admission of "fakery."

Then it ends like this;

navy sonar tests have been directly implicated in whale beachings. The bloop is a real phenomenon. There is still debate about what it may be."

Huh, imagine that!

Definitely an admission of "fakery" if I ever saw one.

wow. OK, continue believing its real. Your prerogative.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Lol, funny how so many say they don't exist while offerimg no proof of either. Nor has anyone cared to explain why such stories exist in so many different cultures spanning through the ages that had no contact with one another. Which in itself is another mystery as to how so many people can have the same "fake" story, guess they must have had 24/7 news and the internet back then

Odd how so many creatures thought to be fake and myths over the ages actually turned out to be real. Instead of learning from this, it seems that once an "imaginary" are found, people just tend to forget and find something elsd to call fake.

BTW I'm not talking about the videos but the idea of such a creature existing. Anything is possible.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
dafaq?? Wow, that was very interesting. You mention in your title "yet another". Has there been a rash of threads/sightings lately?

This just blows me away because I've never given mermaids much thought, naturally. All videos look very legit with the reactions of the people. You've given me a new topic to research. Thanks. Now on to reading your thread...

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Murgatroid

Could they be real?

Absolutely...

Several years back I heard a very reliable source mention that underwater cities are real.

Since that time I have seen enough evidence to convince me 100% without question that they do in fact exist.

My suspicion is that the two are directly related.

edit on 2-1-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

Would love to see that data.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Lostmymarbles
Lol, funny how so many say they don't exist while offerimg no proof of either. Nor has anyone cared to explain why such stories exist in so many different cultures spanning through the ages that had no contact with one another. Which in itself is another mystery as to how so many people can have the same "fake" story, guess they must have had 24/7 news and the internet back then

Odd how so many creatures thought to be fake and myths over the ages actually turned out to be real. Instead of learning from this, it seems that once an "imaginary" are found, people just tend to forget and find something elsd to call fake.

BTW I'm not talking about the videos but the idea of such a creature existing. Anything is possible.

You can't prove a negative. That is a logical fallacy. The proof must come from those who think they exist.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
you know bigfoot alest has legs to stand on (pun intended) after all he would just be a undiscovered cousion of man. Which throught out earths history there have been many of.
a mermaid on the other hand goes against biolagy a half fish (cold blooded a half mamal warm blooded .
No natrial way to combine these two.
On teh other hand if its pure fish well guess what NO fish has ever been found with limbs of any type .
Limbs being hand structers (say like chimps and man both have showing a likness)
mermaids would have to have evolved from other fish so there should be many types of similar mermaid excamples in the oceans.
To date no hand like limbs on any fish in the ocean . Sorry horny fisher man 6 months at sea are not good wittnesses for mirmaids .
After that long even the mascot dog starts looking like a human female lol

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

I agree that there are things out there that cannot be either proven or disproved, such as the Bermuda Triangle, but in this instance it could. If you could try to prove the existence of something then theoretically, you should be able to disprove the existence of something. Science does this all the time, especially when dealing with space, dark energy, dark matter, extra dimensions, parallel universe, and such.

What must be disproved are all the witnesses' accounts and stories of such creatures existing that have spanned countless centuries from civilizations that had no contact with one another or lived in different eras. You have individuals who lived in different centuries and parts of the world coming up with the same stories and description of the creature. How? Why? For what reason would all these people "make" up these stories and how are they so similar to one another?

But then, what is proof or evidence? Countless stories and eye-witness accounts spanning the ages? Drawings of such creatures in ancient civilizations? The many videos that have popped up over the years on the subject? The remains of washed up unknown creatures that resemble mermaids? What is enough proof or acceptable proof?

What has the other side offered up as to the explanations of such creatures existing other then saying they are myths, fakes, and frauds? How have they been able to explain why such stories have existed or how civilizations with no contact with one another keep coming up with the same stories?

That is where I would start if I was to try to disprove the existence of mermaids other then just saying "fake" or "fairy tales" on the subject matter. No one really says why they are fake, only that they are. When people see a video they think fake and CGI, well if you never seen a creature or know what it looks like then how can you truly say that what you are seeing is not real? Or not how it's suppose to look like? If you just saw something wild, how would you react and film it? How would you film it in a way that people won't cry "fake"? (I know there are blatant fakes out there but that does not mean all are fakes.)

I believe there is a possibility that they do exist. This planet has more water then land, new species are discovered everyday, new areas on this planet are discovered (caves, caverns, jungles) each year, and there is no telling how many species have gone extinct that were never discovered.

Anything is possible and there are always exceptions to the rules.
edit on 6-1-2014 by Lostmymarbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Hahahahaha...this again...

I remember when I believed in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.

CGI videos like all the ones in this thread and the people that buy into it are ruining ATS. It's no wonder this place is lacking worthwhile content and reputable posters don't post as much anymore.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

I'd take that as an insult if I cared...

Its not really about these videos though... more about speculation

As other members have said, theres many witness accounts throughout history to these creatures...

No one knows if they exist or not... its very possible

I personally am on the fence on the issue... but its hardly comparable to santa clause or the easter bunny

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

It's no wonder this place is lacking worthwhile content and reputable posters don't post as much anymore.

Says the guy with a total of four threads.

edit on 6-1-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I remember watching the first one. I think its conceivable simply because the majority of this planet is covered in water and yet on the small pieces of land afforded to us we grew and evolved. So math should tell us the probability of intelligent life under our oceans are high.

I haven't found any convincing evidence that proves to me they exist but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

MmmPie
Hahahahaha...this again...

I remember when I believed in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.

CGI videos like all the ones in this thread and the people that buy into it are ruining ATS. It's no wonder this place is lacking worthwhile content and reputable posters don't post as much anymore.

Its people that bitch and moan about other posters that ruin this site. If you want to be about it and not just talk about it, why not contribute to the thread by showing your research proving they don't exist or create a thread the fits your parameters of "worthwhile content".

OP; you baffle me....
but thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Yeah. Animal planet admitted to hoaxing these. I still don't understand the reason why though. If mer-people were real I don't think they would hide their own existence from us. In face, they would probably be waging war against us for polluting their oceans.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

greenday1978
Yeah. Animal planet admitted to hoaxing these. I still don't understand the reason why though. If mer-people were real I don't think they would hide their own existence from us. In face, they would probably be waging war against us for polluting their oceans.

Maybe, maybe not. I have lost large objects in a seemingly small apartment for years. Seeing how we only explored a small fraction of the earths oceans means we are searching for a small object in a seemingly humongous apartment.

They would show themselves? I doubt that...if they exist it wouldn't have been a recent development. At some time in our past there would have been some type of divergence, a split between us and them. There are caves with ancient petroglyphs that show a war between man and mermen.

They would war against us? I'd think, again if they exist, they would be the equivalent of the Sentinelese. A tribal culture with limited technology and would likely recognize they wouldn't have a fighting chance.

It could be argued that they were just imaginative, yet all other petroglyphs are of animals that are known to exist. Something to consider.
edit on 6-1-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Rosinitiate

greenday1978

Maybe, maybe not. I have lost large objects in a seemingly small apartment for years. Seeing how we only explored a small fraction of the earths oceans means we are searching for a small object in a seemingly humongous apartment.

They would show themselves? I doubt that...if they exist it wouldn't have been a recent development. At some time in our past there would have been some type of divergence, a split between us and them. There are caves with ancient petroglyphs that show a war between man and mermen.

They would war against us? I'd think, again if they exist, they would be the equivalent of the Sentinelese. A tribal culture with limited technology and would likely recognize they wouldn't have a fighting chance.

It could be argued that they were just imaginative, yet all other petroglyphs are of animals that are known to exist. Something to consider.
edit on 6-1-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

They could've in fact been a sub species that became extinct. There are enough land dwelling off-shoots of humanity that have existed that I couldn't in good conscience deny the aquatic ape theory. But, I would think they would be more like us and not so xenophobic. How could they communicate or have writing? There's no light at those depths so how would they function as a community?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

greenday1978
How could they communicate or have writing? There's no light at those depths so how would they function as a community?

Birds that migrate south for winter do so by following earths magnetic field via ley lines, interesting they can see them and I can't.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I am intrigued by this theory. I have seen the show (multiple times in fact) and it is definitely food for thought. I am not saying I believe it or think it's fake, I just think it's interesting and COULD BE plausible.
Imagine if such a being even existed. . .

~Sovereign

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join