It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herb/Vegetable Garden, help.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I really would love to get them already sprouted, but however I want to be 100% sure that the strain of the herb/vegetable is healthy and defiantly not gmo or anything.

Sorry for late reply just got home from outta town!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Dimithae
reply to post by kangajack

I will give you a link you can go to that will help with how to rotate your garden.

www.gardenorganic.org.uk...

Let me know if the link doesn't work.But I think its good. It will explain all the benefits of rotating out crops.

Thank you so much Dimithae for introducing me to this, so basically I just want to make sure I got the right understanding from what I read, So say you grown carrots in one patch and lettuce in another, next year you grow the lettuce where the carrot did and vice versa

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Thecakeisalie

Well you are in a perfect location to grow some of these crops, snow peas especially.

The herbs shouldn't be a problem. I grow most of the herbs you mention and the hardest part is getting the seeds to germinate, after they take root all they need is a bit of sun and water and they'll take care of themselves, especially basil.

And If you want to try something different, go for chillies. They are a hardy plant and don't require much attention, a few egg shells and a splash of water every now and again is all they need.

Yes in the perfect location to grow our own foods,
How do you germinate your herbs I have not had to do this yet and would like some help please, also where do you get your seeds from?
Chillies are a good idea too thank you I will be defiantly growing a few.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Yes pretty much.Everything you grow both takes something out of the soil and puts other things back in.So if you rotate the veggies, what one took out last time will now be put back in by growing a veggie that does just that. You keep your soil in fairly good condition (still use compost and fertilizers)and your food gets to suck up all the vitamins and minerals that you will in turn end up eating.Its a win win.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

How do you suggest getting herbs to sprout like where should I plant them first?
So mint and rosemary should have there own dedicated gardens? How big will they grow?

What flowers do you suggest that attract bees and give the bees healthy honey, as one of my friends has his own hive and we are building a fair few organic gardens around his farm.

What soil do you grow carrots in like what kind of manure or compost.

Is the ph level a big up in the watering of the plants?

If you're growing your herbs from seed, some take a month to come up. Rich warm soil, keep well watered. It might depend on your climate how well and how fast they show. I'm in northern Canada, so my soil is cold at night. I have plans to build a small greenhouse one day...

Mint needs it's own spot because it spreads out and takes over. I have mine growing close to the house walls because I've heard it keeps spiders out. I still have spiders though....

Rosemary doesnt spread, and if it gets too cold in the winter, it'll need protection. Winters where I am get to -40, so I always bring some inside in a planter. It seems to grow differently in different climates, but I have found that it seems to like to be watered and sprayed daily.
Most other herbs just grow without too much fuss

Thymes are very hardy. Get some different kinds - they all flower slightly different.
Lemon thyme is really tasty on chicken, fish, potatoes.

For the bees, I would just make sure that the flowers are edible.
Honeysuckle or other sweet flowers would be nice. Wild roses too

I've heard that manure makes carrots hairy, I don't have very much experience with them yet though. Soft soil so they don't grow too stubby. My last years soil was awful - clay like - and the carrots were very hard to pull out.
I need to fix my whole garden.

My tomatoes did great. When harvesting, I cut off the top so they're flat, and freeze them on cookie sheets, then into bags. The peels come off easy a minute after being put in boiling water, then use as you would canned tomatoes.

Not sure about ph levels, I'm still learning there too.

edit on 6-1-2014 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

Thanks a lot mate helps a lot I am defiantly going to keep this in mind and draw up a plan to what we are going to replant next season.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

snowspirit

How do you suggest getting herbs to sprout like where should I plant them first?
So mint and rosemary should have there own dedicated gardens? How big will they grow?

What flowers do you suggest that attract bees and give the bees healthy honey, as one of my friends has his own hive and we are building a fair few organic gardens around his farm.

What soil do you grow carrots in like what kind of manure or compost.

Is the ph level a big up in the watering of the plants?

If you're growing your herbs from seed, some take a month to come up. Rich warm soil, keep well watered. It might depend on your climate how well and how fast they show. I'm in northern Canada, so my soil is cold at night. I have plans to build a small greenhouse one day...

Mint needs it's own spot because it spreads out and takes over. I have mine growing close to the house walls because I've heard it keeps spiders out. I still have spiders though....

Rosemary doesnt spread, and if it gets too cold in the winter, it'll need protection. Winters where I am get to -40, so I always bring some inside in a planter. It seems to grow differently in different climates, but I have found that it seems to like to be watered and sprayed daily.
Most other herbs just grow without too much fuss

Thymes are very hardy. Get some different kinds - they all flower slightly different.
Lemon thyme is really tasty on chicken, fish, potatoes.

For the bees, I would just make sure that the flowers are edible.
Honeysuckle or other sweet flowers would be nice. Wild roses too

I've heard that manure makes carrots hairy, I don't have very much experience with them yet though. Soft soil so they don't grow too stubby. My last years soil was awful - clay like - and the carrots were very hard to pull out.
I need to fix my whole garden.

My tomatoes did great. When harvesting, I cut off the top so they're flat, and freeze them on cookie sheets, then into bags. The peels come off easy a minute after being put in boiling water, then use as you would canned tomatoes.

Not sure about ph levels, I'm still learning there too.

edit on 6-1-2014 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

Okay so with sprouting herbs from seeds, I am going to buy some seedling pods, which you place in water and they absorb the water and stay moist for the seed to sprout. I live in Australia, we have pretty hot days here during summer, so all in all well hopefully. I also have a cupboard set up to sprout seeds with a little light under it my pop use to use for his tomato's.

Thank you for all the help x

top topics

<< 1   >>

join