It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Aliens Attack!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Sorry you're upset over a TV show on NATGEO. Did you also get upset over Independence Day or War of the Worlds? I don't see a Gov't Conspiracy, I just see a network showing something people want to watch. I mean, does anyone want to watch a show about aliens visiting Earth and, in the climactic end, we all hug? No, I don't think so.

People enjoy seeing this stuff, it's exciting. There are folks out there who might have a bunker and enough ammo/weapons to arm a small nation...I bet they're fantasizing about this right now. Probably praying for the day when they can shut the door to their bunker and laugh loudly about those dying outside because they knew, dagnabbit! They KNEW that this could happen but everyone laughed at them. Who's laughing now?!?! Right? I'm alive in my bunker and there you are, all crisped up due to being hit by some alien radiation gun, but me, I'm enjoying some rehydrated food! How about that you turds? I'm having a good time, watching a little Mork and Mindy on my survival TV while you're all blown to crap...

But I digress.

No conspiracy, just a network giving people what they want to see.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

"space bro's"

Love it

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

This is how the government plants fear into people's mind about outside life visiting us.

Planting ideas in people's minds?

The idea of a threat from outer space is already well established in people's minds. It has been a common trope in Western culture since H.G. Wells wrote The War of the Worlds over a hundred years ago.

And its real roots are much, much older than that: it is instinctive for human beings to fear intelligent strangers because, throughout prehistory and most of history, such strangers were more likely than not to be hostile and dangerous. Among primitive peoples, an encounter between members of different tribes or clans usually results in the death of at least one of the participants. Animal predators are also more dangerous the more intelligent they are.

Besides, we are right to fear aliens. Whether or not they mean us harm, they are likely to be very dangerous, simply due to their technological capabilities, the inevitable cultural differences between us and the equally inevitable common interests. We, in our turn, will probably be equally dangerous to them.

Luckily, interstellar travel is almost certainly impossible in any meaningful sense, so we are most unlikely to ever encounter another intelligent species.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Evening,

I must admit that when I saw this thread's title, the first thing I thought was:

"Those fools have finally gone and done it...Mexico has invaded Arizona."

Then I realized it wasn't those type of aliens you were talking about...

-Live Long and Prosper-

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
as mentioned before in this thread, "the movie" just shows a hypothesis "if" they are violent. I would rather see the Friendly Counterpart

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

learnatic
reply to post by sled735

Von brawn said that after the war on terror would come a war on aliens. the public is being preped, 'trained up' to think the way the powers that be want them to.

look up Karen Rosin

Thank you learnatic. I knew someone had said this but i could not remember who said it or where i had heard it. I have tried to find it for another thread but couldn`t and no one knew what i meant. It has to do with the bit inbetween the war on terror and the war on aliens, the threat of asteroids and meteors which imo tptb are just instigating now with all these meteors lighting up the sky lately and incidents like Chelyabinsk etc.

Wow, seriously, thanks. It`s been annoying me for weeks and you`ve just put my mind at rest.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

sled735
I'm upset right now! I just turned on the t.v. to find this program, When Aliens Attack, on the National Geographic Channel.
Yes, it's been out there for a couple of years now, but this is the first time I've seen it.

This is how the government plants fear into people's mind about outside life visiting us using the media.

This is friggin' ridiculous, IMO!

Here's a tip. Stop watching TV. It's mostly full of garbage. And no, this not something "planted by the government". Do you REALLY believe that?

This was planted by the network for ratings during "Alien Week" (think "Shark Attack Week") a few years ago.

It's a joke that channels called History or National Geographic air a lot of this crap.

The truth is, there is pretty much no good reason why aliens, if they exist would attack the Earth. There is nothing here that isn't in billions of other places in the Galaxy, most of which would likely be uninhabited.

Water? Why attack the Earth when there are WHOLE PLANETS made of of water? Even in our own solar system we have Jupiter's moon of Europa which likely has an ocean larger than the Earth's below its icy crust.

A habitable world? Why attack the Earth when there are estimated to be around 40-50 BILLION worlds like the Earth in our Milky Way Galaxy? And between 4.2-5.3 Billion of them within the known, observable universe? Most of which would have no one on them which could even pose a little bit of a threat.

There are likely a hundreds of thousands of worlds for any intelligent species to take without firing so much as a photon cannon

Food? There are plenty of better ways to satisfy an alien appetite than traveling ridiculous distances for dinner. We've grown meat in a lab. We've even made hamburgers out of it:

That's with what would be VERY primitive technology to a species likely to be at least a million years older than us. Yet they have to roam the galaxy in search of dinner?

C'mon, it makes for great sci-fi but poor science.

Any alien species likely could 3D print any food they want out of basic organic chemicals which are plentiful throughout the Galaxy.

Alien invasion of another world for food, water, minerals and nearly anything they could get would require far more energy and resources than just growing some lab meat, melting some comets or scooping up some water from the nearest water world or mining asteroids.

Alien invasion stories are likely more of a reflection of our own history on planet Earth than anything that would play out in the Galaxy given the vast resources available and vast distances.

Alien invasion ideas are fairly juvenile and scientifically illiterate.

edit on 2-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

NSM4747
as mentioned before in this thread, "the movie" just shows a hypothesis "if" they are violent. I would rather see the Friendly Counterpart

There is a better program on The Science Channel called Alien Encounters. I think it was a 3 part series.

One was called "The Message", another was called "The Arrival". I forget what the other in between them was called. I think it might have been "The Reaction". Not sure.

It seemed to be the more realistic scenario as the "aliens" are pretty much unfathomable/indifferent. Not evil. Not cuddly ET either.

There are some excerpts from it here: science.discovery.com... but I can't find whole episodes there or on Youtube unfortunately. Keep an eye out for it because it has re-aired several times.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Personally I am looking forward to the next season of falling skies.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

ZetaRediculian
reply to post by JadeStar

Personally I am looking forward to the next season of falling skies.

So am I!!!
I love that show! lol

I will say one thing about that show. One thing about Spielberg is that he does a very good job making it all plausible.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

fenian8

learnatic
reply to post by sled735

Von brawn said that after the war on terror would come a war on aliens. the public is being preped, 'trained up' to think the way the powers that be want them to.

look up Karen Rosin

Thank you learnatic. I knew someone had said this but i could not remember who said it or where i had heard it. I have tried to find it for another thread but couldn`t and no one knew what i meant. It has to do with the bit inbetween the war on terror and the war on aliens, the threat of asteroids and meteors which imo tptb are just instigating now with all these meteors lighting up the sky lately and incidents like Chelyabinsk etc.

Wow, seriously, thanks. It`s been annoying me for weeks and you`ve just put my mind at rest.

There is no evidence Werner Von Braun (correct spelling of his name) said anything of the sort. I'm sure Jim Oberg will tell you all about Carol Rosin (again correct name).....

Suffice to say, I'd not believe a word from her given some of the lies she's told.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Look at it the other way around....

If we were the aliens. Lets say a million years older than we are now. We would have little use of invading any planet with sentient life. Any resource we could get from that planet could be gotten for far less in terms of energy expenditure and resources.

One thing which would keep us from being bored would be to somehow download all the information from a species into our own servers/brains to learn their histories, arts, music, perhaps even their brains's memories or consciousness (whatever it turns out to be).

You don't destroy cultures, even primitive ones if you want to learn about them. And to prevent being bored and also keep adding to our knowledge base that might be the only reason we'd have any interaction with other species.

The greatest resource in the galaxy may be uniqueness of culture.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I wouldn't get too upset about the show OP. I agree with the general consensus, it's just a show they put together for ratings.
True, some could be hostile but why come unfathomable distances to blast us off of our planet? If they really wanted humans gone it would be so simple to drop a microbe here and there or even a neutron bomb to annihilate us. I would imagine though that their needs would be so different that coming here to destroy us wouldn't make much sense. I suppose they could need raw genetic material for whatever reasons.
On another note; Can you tell us more about the 'beam of light' experience you had?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

JadeStar

If we were the aliens. Lets say a million years older than we are now. We would have little use of invading any planet with sentient life. Any resource we could get from that planet could be gotten for far less in terms of energy expenditure and resources.

As far as hard resources, we can look at just one asteroid in the asteroid belt out of many:
16 Psyche

16 Psyche is one of the ten most massive main-belt asteroids. It is over 200 kilometers in diameter and contains a little less than 1% of the mass of the entire asteroid belt. It is the most massive metallic M-type asteroid.

It's basically a 200 kilometer chunk of solid Iron.

What can someone DO with a chunk of Iron THAT Big?

Mine it? Eh. Maybe, but, it'd probably hold more value if you ...

Hollow it out, put some extra spin on it, and find enough Copper to give it a Copper Core with a Counter Rotation = 200 Kilometer Electrical Generator AND/OR a place to live, and/or a spaceship that could have hull thickness of 50 kilometers thick for shielding from the nasty harshness of naked space.

How much electricity could something like that generate anyway?
Not only would you generate electricity by creating a primitive giant electrical generator, but, you'd also create an EM field similar Earth's planetary EM field such that there'd be some wonderful radiation shielding on top of however thick anyone would want to keep the walls.

That's just ONE rock that could house Millions of people, with 'artificial' gravity created by spin, with atmosphere contained inside also by spin, that could support a sustainable ecosystem, that could generate its own power and shielding that could be a living spaceship.

Essentially, as Jadestar says, and as illustrated, there's sundry available resources quite easily obtained and more easily obtainable on a shallower Gravity incline than deep down inside an expensive Planetary Gravity Well.

I still support a higher likelihood for making contact with potentially hostile aliens due either predator evolution or machine ambivalence over ever encountering "space brothers". I suspect if ever such contact is made, it will be us finding them, whomever 'they' might be due our own neverending drives of curiosity.

I suspect also that by the time we ever make interstellar travel, IF we ever achieve practical interstellar travel, by then, planetary habitation will be a quaint and antiquated in preference for a more economic solution as modeled with 16 Psyche where any sizable rock could sustain habitation with much easier access to a shallower Gravity incline and thus also more readily available resources than are available down any deep difficult expensive planetary Gravity well.

eh.
enough of my babble.

edit on 1/3/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

It doesn't really matter anyways because Jade's entire premise is predicated on the idea of resources without fully considering broader implications. I starred her post as I found her ideas interesting and well thought out but in the end limiting such a scenario to a resource driven invasion is short sighted at best. Hell, hollywood could see further ahead with the likes of "Predator".

What if you encountered an alien species that enjoyed trophy hunting other alien species? To suggest that the likelihood of having a confrontational experience with another alien species is somehow less because the universe is ripe with natural resources is somewhat shortsighted. I think you addressed that fact rather well in your first reply (hell, even Stephen Hawking mentioned similar warnings).
edit on 3-1-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

While I do agree that resources are not the only reason for any species to visit any other system, and also keep observation with the tenant for a higher likelihood of 'dangerous' Aliens, dangerous including ambivalence and/or refusal to even acknowledge us as interactable, I really don't hold with a strong likelihood for finding intelligent technological life elsewhere at all, or it ever making contact with us.

The Universe is beyond vast, and given the economy of things in factoring in Time, Distance, Energy, etc., that would go into developing a space travel infrastructure above and beyond just evolving to an intelligence level enough so where one can stare at one's own navel and ask 'why', even if life itself is fairly common, I'm more of the faction that intelligent technologically capable life is a rarity such that it may very well be the rarest 'resource' in the Universe.

Suffice to say, I don't think we'll find anyone out there.
We may find the ruins of someone long past gone and dead, either due species suicide, or natural disaster like a once upon a time nearby GRB, or K/T style event before spacefaring achievement.

IF, and that's a big IF we do indeed find anyone actually still kicking about, I place highest likelihood with finding self sustaining, self repairing, self replicating AI machines as they stand a better chance of lingering about and maintaining durability, anywhere, even slow travelling across millions of years, or just laying in wait somewhere for ... anything to wake them up.
That's kinda scary if you think about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
If you really wanted to take over a new planet, you wouldn't arrive and start blasting away. It's too blatant and you might sustain too many losses (waiting for your planet's version of the cavalry to come might take a while); besides maybe the local's weapons will be better than yours. Or, having read a version of War of the Worlds and being aware of your possible susceptibility to new bacteria, you might want to instead take your time and scope out the biological dangers.

So, maybe instead, you'd spend a few hundred or thousands of years spying on them; covertly take over their governments and their food manufacturing and educational institutions; push for an economic system that makes them have to work at silly jobs most of the time, thus taking their minds off a possible overarching threat; make the food less and less healthy all the while using your insiders to 'advertise' that food, convincing people they're not cool unless they eat that way. Demonize free thought in favor of herd mentality, all the while making them think they live in a 'free' society.

Have them waste their treasure both money and blood on munitions manufacturing and petty wars all over the place.

Then, when they're sick and confused and as weak as possible, arrange a series of natural disasters and pandemics to finish them off.

They'll think they did it to themselves and never know you had a hand in it. You could even come along at the last minute and announce your intention to 'save' them and be welcomed with open arms by the survivors who will have no way of knowing your hand in the last few hundred years' history.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

JadeStar

NSM4747

There is a better program on The Science Channel called Alien Encounters. I think it was a 3 part series.

One was called "The Message", another was called "The Arrival". I forget what the other in between them was called. I think it might have been "The Reaction". Not sure.

It seemed to be the more realistic scenario as the "aliens" are pretty much unfathomable/indifferent. Not evil. Not cuddly ET either.

There are some excerpts from it here: science.discovery.com... but I can't find whole episodes there or on Youtube unfortunately. Keep an eye out for it because it has re-aired several times.

I have these recorded on my DVR, but haven't watched them yet. Now my curiosity is up. Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night. Thanks for the tip!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

it was also in the "Iron Mountain report" somewhen in the 60ies... there s a YT video about this too, can t post the link though from work

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Starcrossd
I wouldn't get too upset about the show OP. I agree with the general consensus, it's just a show they put together for ratings.
True, some could be hostile but why come unfathomable distances to blast us off of our planet? If they really wanted humans gone it would be so simple to drop a microbe here and there or even a neutron bomb to annihilate us. I would imagine though that their needs would be so different that coming here to destroy us wouldn't make much sense. I suppose they could need raw genetic material for whatever reasons.
On another note; Can you tell us more about the 'beam of light' experience you had?

I was on my way to work (3rd shift) one night during the early part of April 2013. I was traveling on a country back road. On the way there I noticed a big light in the sky, so when I came to a side road, I turned off and stopped to watch it.

At one point, as I was staring at it, it shot a very bright beam of light at me; like it put its light on "high beam", then back on low beam directed right at my car! That kind of freaked me out because I wasn't expecting it.
I felt like they were letting me know that they knew I was watching them.

I had my window rolled down to see if I could hear anything. I didn't. If it had been a helicopter, I would have heard it; it was too close not to.

I had to get back on the road for work so I wouldn't be late. So I turned around in a driveway just ahead of me and quickly headed back on the road for work. This took no longer than 20 seconds. During that 20 seconds the light completely disappeared from the sky. There was not a a cloud in the sky to cover it up! It was just gone! If it were a plane, it wouldn't have had time to get out of sight.

A couple of weeks later it was there again, in the same spot as before.
I said hello, and it got real bright, then dimmed almost out. I really felt like it was acknowledging me speaking to it.

Anyway, as I drove on watching this thing, it became an almost orange color. Then as I got further down the road, it turned a greenish color. I didn't have time to pull off the road this time because I was running late for work.
I kept my eyes on it as best I could and still watch the road.

Right before I entered an area of trees where I knew I wouldn't be able to see it anymore, I saw that it appeared to be the dome-shaped type with spinning red, green, and yellow lights.

I didn't have a camera with me, and no camera on my dinosaur cell phone!! Sigh...

Once I got to work, I should have been able to see the craft in the sky, but whatever it was, it was gone. Poof!!

I saw it several more times after that. Each time it appeared I never had my camera with me, or my batteries would be drained, if I did.

It didn't want it's picture taken, I suppose.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join