It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power Of Names

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

SmikeS
Luminous wood is my first name. Named after my father, Grandmother will not tell me why she picked this name, when I asked her about it she told me that i named myself. She is very old.

Love that name, and the story. People tend to discount the wisdom of elders, sometimes their right, sometimes, the older folks really do know what their talking about. Sounds like she was in touch. Named after your father, yet you chose it... A reflection of the father? Perhaps you saw something in him you liked?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

King3x
reply to post by Cows11

Sounds interesting. Care to share more information or perhaps a resource?

As an aside, I too have always felt it odd to refer to myself by my given name or a nickname, but I do identify with them and respond accordingly. Anyone else?

I would like to read more myself, actually. Always looking for more knowledge.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynk3

Same information.

www.allbabynames.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Nope, Kevin is static across the boards. I looked up Link, in relation to my stage name as a rapper "Lynk."

Here: www.allbabynames.com...

Soul Urge: People with the name Link have a deep inner desire to serve humanity and to give to others by sharing money, knowledge and experience, or creative and artistic ability.

Expression: People with the name Link tend to initiate events, to be leaders rather than followers, with powerful personalities. They tend to be focused on specific goals, experience a wealth of creative new ideas, and have the ability to implement these ideas with efficiency and determination. They tend to be courageous and sometimes aggressive. As unique, creative individuals, they tend to resent authority, and are sometimes stubborn, proud, and impatient

This is also true of me. This is creepy cool haha
edit on 0141k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynk3

I think a lot of these sites use the same database, hence the same information.

Interesting that your other name matches your first name.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I wonder if this shows a corellation between genetics and thought processing. Oh, the great old psychology debate about Nature vs. Nurture, Genetics vs. Environment

This could also tie in to the frequency and sound claims about the universe. Maybe the vibrations from the name being said create frequencies that mold the brain as it develops.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynk3

That would be an interesting correlation.

I do believe sound and vibration are very important and words are often far more emotive and with greater meaning than most realise. I wrote something on a thread on it a while ago.

The Hebrew alphabet and some others give meaning to individual letters and sounds and the original pictorial Chinese alphabet is ideographic. I think language has expression beyond immediate word meaning. For example when I think in French I think in a way that isn't the same as when I think in English. Sometimes only French will suffice and it doesn't translate the same as in English. Even regional accent affects thinking in my experience, things like tempo, word flow and intonation matter.

Some interesting reading

www.inner.org...
www.noodletools.com...
wab.uib.no...
www.healingsounds.com...
biomagnet.uni-muenster.de...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Thank you for the boatload of information, I'll read it after I finish editing this song verse I'm writing.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Ray of light/ Twin and no meaning for my last name
I only went to one site, name-meanings.com. feel free to offer another one if you think it will get my last name. Intresting that my middle name means twin, where as I am a gemini as well

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'm supposed to be a victorious powerful leader. How could my parents have messed up so bad.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I'm Victorious Prince (or brave) Dream lol I have a yiddish first name even though I share no lineage alongside my Grandpa his name is Hiram, my uncle with the same, mother with the name Zelda and an aunt with the name Derania lol among other strange family names mines not so bad hahahaha

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
My first name: The Chosen - Middle name: Sweet - Last name: Guardian. The Chosen Sweet Guardian. Further more: My first name when divided into two syllables = "Sun" in the first syllable and "Star" in the second. What I find most interesting is the fact my parents had no clue what it meant until I went searching for the meaning myself.

Btw, I do find joy in being of service to others but, I'm far from being an angel or saint.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I love how all the names meanings are pretty great like Chosen one, Great King ect

Now has anyone a name which is derogatory like "he who smells of poop"?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
A non obvious UK origin meaning for my first name is World Leader with surname meaning Dear / Beloved / Devotee of a Saint, in Spanish it is the name of a Saint with meaning Amiable.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
My real name is Friðþjófur Arnar Hafsteinsson.

Friðþjófur(literal meaning: Peacethief): Servant/Slave
Arnar(derived from Eagle): See's
Hafsteinsson(literal:Seastone'son'): God Most High

In Hebrew it would be: Obadiah in short. Without adding the middle name.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Mine is Nero... does that mean I'm destined to become a tyrant? Better start brushing up on my fiddle.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Chronogoblin

Wow...great thread OP! Mine is ~ Gift from God/Like God OR God Like/Ruler of Home

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Great find? ... what an online dictionary?

This is the literal equivelant of posing in the mirror - I'm sure we can all find something cool sounding about
all our names, but what's in a name?

This is facebook material. Sorry to sound harsh.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Donald Anthony Voigt. Donald (World leader), Anthony ( Worthy of praise ) , Voigt ( one with supervisory authority ).

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Mine is 'fair, white". Basically I'm named "cracker".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join