It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power Of Names

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I have recently been thinking a lot about the power of names. Most people have heard by early childhood, stories of people gaining power over others, even over the supernatural, simply by knowing it's name. Not that I am giving credence to this, but, it is interesting nonetheless, and a good thought experiment.

Purportedly, names carry meanings. Attachments that adhere to a being from it's naming, and some say, from it's inception. In this mode I searched for the supposed meaning of my own name. Not just my first name, but my middle and last name as well. I also did this for my most commonly used User ID. We'll start with that, because it's quite interesting (to me at least).

Chronogoblin: Broken down into it's two parts, obviously gives us Chrono, and Goblin, respectively.

According to this: Link Chrono means 'Time' or an indicator of such. Already knew that one, but I included it anyways.
From the same source: Link Goblin seems to generally mean mischievous, or rogue. Was not aware before I wrote my avatar status, coincidence?

So my favorite handle translates as: Time Rogue/Time Troublemaker.
Awesome.

My real name I won't openly share, if you deduce it, please keep it to yourself.
No links this time, I am sure you can do a quick search (don't know why you would).

My first name means roughly: True friend.
My middle name is that of an archangel, and seems to mean: Who is like God?
My last name translates roughly as: Servant of the pale youth.

So my name seems to translate as: True friend, who is like God, servant of the pale youth.

So cool I couldn't hardly believe it. Care to share what your name(s) mean? And what they mean to you?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Chronogoblin

My real name I won't openly share, if you deduce it, please keep it to yourself.
No links this time, I am sure you can do a quick search (don't know why you would).

Rumplestilskin ?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Chronogoblin

Hi oops I will pm you . lol (am I right?).

Mine is The green Knight, Gifted ruler, New settlement (first/middle/last btw).

Cool thread btw

Oh and If anyone works mine out PM me.
edit on 2-1-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

How about, Jorge Mario Bergoglio?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Mine = King Lund, inglund ( England ) , lundon ( London ), Jesus of the grove. Gemitra 151. Not making this up.

edit on 2-1-2014 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There isn't one for my name
. I have always wanted to know but have yet to find it.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I won't call you Aethelwine!

My birth name, first name is too obvious to give any translation, it would immediately be known if I did, so won't.

Here is the expression though from a name meaning site:

Sou lUrge Number: 7
People with this name have a deep inner need for quiet, and a desire to understand and analyze the world they live in, and to learn the deeper truths.

Expression Number: 3
People with this name tend to be creative and excellent at expressing themselves. They are drawn to the arts, and often enjoy life immensely. They are often the center of attention, and enjoy careers that put them in the limelight. They tend to become involved in many different activities, and are sometimes reckless with both their energies and with money.

My surname, here's the meaning from a place of name origin name meaning site:

Meaning: pleasant, genial, nice, agreeable; kind, amiable, friendly

Soul Urge: People with the name ****** have a deep inner desire to use their abilities in leadership, and to have personal independence. They would rather focus on large, important issues, and delegate the details.

Expression: People with the name ****** are excellent at analyzing, understanding, and learning. They tend to be mystics, philosophers, scholars, and teachers. Because they live so much in the mind, they tend to be quiet and introspective, and are usually introverts. When presented with issues, they will see the larger picture. Their solitary thoughtfulness and analysis of people and world events may make them seem aloof, and sometimes even melancholy.

This is all true, apart from the introvert bit, I can be extrovert too, and I am better with my energy and money than my previous reckless days.
edit on 2-1-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
My full name would be saviour/deliverer, supplanter, Barley farmer!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Small/Humble, Strong, Son of Beloved is my real name decoded. McLaren is the Scottish name for Son of Laurence but are a Formula 1 team hence my name.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Cool thread. It is also believed by some that a child is called what it is because it is what he/she is. The parents have little choice as they are subsconsciously picking a name that fits.

I also believe the first name is the one that counts. I will not give my name's meaning as it will be extremely easy to establish what it is.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I'll try tackling both my handle, and my name, as you did in the OP.

Wandering: traveling aimlessly from place to place; itinerant
Scribe: a person who copies out documents, esp. one employed to do this before printing was invented.

I'm not sure if I really fulfill the role of a "wandering scribe" necessarily, as I don't do much traveling, nor do I have any proficiency with hand-writing ancient manuscripts. Maybe I've just yet to see said destiny manifest in my life?

As for my name, let's see here:

First: he will add
Middle: man / of a man
Last: son of Gonzalo

As a bonus, "Gonzalo" means either "war elf" or "battle genius".

So, ummm, uh... I'm not really sure how to look at that. I will... add men to war? I am a man of war? I can't really make heads or tails of it.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This is very true.

In fact, Lucifer has used this in the past to his advantage.

Can't believe I saw this thread, really.

But anyway, a lot of beings 'up there' don't actually use names.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by crowdedskies

That isn't how names are always picked though. Sometimes, parents decide names long before a child is even conceived.

So, going with the same vein of thought, might it be possible that the parents invoke their children's character? The relationship between a child and parents is a two way street.
edit on 2-1-2014 by King3x because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Luminous wood is my first name. Named after my father, Grandmother will not tell me why she picked this name, when I asked her about it she told me that i named myself. She is very old.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Cows11

Sounds interesting. Care to share more information or perhaps a resource?

As an aside, I too have always felt it odd to refer to myself by my given name or a nickname, but I do identify with them and respond accordingly. Anyone else?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This is what I found on my name:

www.sheknows.com...

SoulUrge Number: 5
People with this name have a deep inner desire for travel and adventure, and want to set their own pace in life without being governed by tradition.

Expression Number: 7
People with this name are excellent at analyzing, understanding, and learning. They tend to be mystics, philosophers, scholars, and teachers. Because they live so much in the mind, they tend to be quiet and introspective, and are usually introverts. When presented with issues, they will see the larger picture. Their solitary thoughtfulness and analysis of people and world events may make them seem aloof, and sometimes even melancholy

Most of it is eerily accurate. Can explain why I'm so gifted with music.

edit on 0141k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynk3

Interestingly the number expression on your name meaning is the same as the expression on my surname from another site.

Here's my first name expression from this site:

SoulUrge Number: 7
People with this name have a deep inner need for quiet, and a desire to understand and analyze the world they live in, and to learn the deeper truths.

Expression Number: 3
People with this name tend to be creative and excellent at expressing themselves. They are drawn to the arts, and often enjoy life immensely. They are often the center of attention, and enjoy careers that put them in the limelight. They tend to become involved in many different activities, and are sometimes reckless with both their energies and with money.

And is mostly very true, I am an artist and obviously the truth part, but I am so much better with my energy and money than my reckless days!
edit on 2-1-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

I wonder if your website will give me your expression number from my website.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

If I could spin straw into gold, I probably would never be heard of again!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

King3x
reply to post by crowdedskies

That isn't how names are always picked though. Sometimes, parents decide names long before a child is even conceived.

So, going with the same vein of thought, might it be possible that the parents invoke their children's character? The relationship between a child and parents is a two way street.
edit on 2-1-2014 by King3x because: (no reason given)

Not sure the truth of it, but I read awhile back that people who's initials equate to something we would recognize, tend to be more successful in life. Such as the initials W-O-W, or something similar. I think the parents know more about their child than even they realize, and help them to become something simply by assigning their name. Of course, that's not everybody. Don't want to get too metaphysical.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join