It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
reply to post by doesntmakesense
I used to admire Aldous Huxley but that admiration became a bit tarnished not that long ago. We have this tendency to hold up his "Brave New World" as a social critique to inordinate amounts of control but his personal opinions really can make one question just what his beliefs actually were such as the following quote.
From The Meaning of Race: Race, History and Culture in Western Society
"About 99.5% of the entire population of the planet are as stupid and philistine ('tho in different ways) as the great masses of the English. The important thing, it seems to me, is not to attack the 99.5%...but to try to see that the 0.5% survives, keeps its quality up to the highest possible level, and, if possible, dominates the rest. The imbecility of the 99.5% is appalling--but after all, what else can you expect?" Aldous Huxley
reply to post by jaws1975
I think they were on anti-depressions or anti-psychotics. Narcotics by definition are derived from opium and generally used as pain killers.
The narco-hypnosis part stuck out to me, haven't most all of the recent mass murderers been on prescription narcotics? The Aurora movie theatre shooter told his cellmate that his psychiatrist brain washed him into doing it, sirhan sirhan made a similar claim. The navy yard shooter claimed the government was using technology to put voices in his head. No proof of any of these claims, however I believe tptb have the ability and motive to do so.
Because we're still more or less living like the sheep in learned's paddock. They use the "scares" to justify putting their power structures in place. They never scare us enough to truly panic us or cause a stampede, but when the collapse comes, they will have all the mechanisms in place to clamp down on us brutally, and the rosy veneer of peace and plenty will come off.
I don't see it as a prediction at all.
It was/is the plan being adhered to by those who follow in the footsteps of the Grandpa of Eugenics himself.
It's no more a prediction of man's future than a recipe is a prediction of food.
At least this is how I see it.
-Peace-edit on 2-1-2014 by Eryiedes because: Typo
The problem with such a rift is absolutely evident in Azadan's post. It creates a scenario where someone who has gone through this additional and broadened educational process begins to perceive that the majority of people are mentally deficient. IQ (and for the record, I do have problems with measures of IQ) tends to fall, like most things, on a bell curve.
So Azadan is somewhat right in the perception that most people would not fall under the category of exceptional. However, the number of those who would be exceptional isn't even remotely 30% of the population. It's a mere 2% of the population and that 2% of the population is, through mandate, required to be identified by the educational system and put into one of those programs with all the additional learning. What happens is that the remaining 98% are not being provided with the tools that would improve their decision making. It makes the rift deeper, sharper and more palpable.
The solution would be to reign in marketing to avoid heavy handed persuasive elements from being played out onto our existing population and immediately start making that "exceptional kid" educational program be applicable to ALL children. It wouldn't help us now but it would help the future. We must destroy and rebuild the entire educational system of our country if we really want to save it. There is no reason why a significant majority of the population would be incapable of comprehending critical thinking, identifying persuasive techniques or even thinking on a more interrelated basis as in systems thinking. The only reason why it doesn't happen that I can see is control. That's not good enough, especially for a country that claims to have some form of democracy.
His grandfather wrote this essay: www.jstor.org...
"The coming population problem"
Thomas Huxley was called "Darwins pittbull"
reply to post by Aazadan
Well, is it possible that the lower 70% of people who, according to you, should not be doing their job, could be elevated to the levels of the deserving qualified 30%? Is it possible they were dumbed down on purpose to begin with? The fewer people able to "figure things out", the easier they may be to control. Is it possible, without sterilization or any reductions of population to get people to think more logically and behave more responsibly, and increase their intelligence?
I always hear people that say "well the elites are gonna cull the human race down over 50% because most of them are just useless eaters having 9 kids on welfare".
And I say, the elites are the ones who made it this way! Withholding knowledge, promoting consumerism, controlling the school curriculum, hypnotizing the masses... why not "hypnotize" us into a more positive future? Apparently they do not WANT a more positive future... they don't even seem to care about their own descendants. Don't they think their great great grandchildren would like to know what a forest looks like? A clean ocean? These experiences can be replicated with technology but it's not real. They can even find another planet, but that doesn't change the fact they will have to deal with knowing their great great...grandfather destroyed our original home. And sure, the new planets sun may APPEAR to be stable....but are they really willing to take that risk?