It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Exceptional weather' with rain, wind and high tides to hit UK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

It's not fear mongering...it's what we Brits do best...talking about the weather innit!!
Forgive me for asking Helen...but are you British by birth, or an American 'over here'?...just curious.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

HelenConway
Here we go again - come on please stop buying into the media hype.

I don't report media hype - else there'd be a new post based on the latest nonsense from the Daily express every day
I'm an amateur meteorologist, occasionally raising threads for info/discussion when the weather is more extreme and/or dangerous to life than is normal.

There is serious coastal flooding atm with many people evacuated as a consequence. Hopefully all ATSers are safe.

Despite a quiet start, December was the windiest month since 1993.

Yes, storms like this happen every year. No, they do not normally happen with such frequency, especially across the southern half of Britain.

And as rightly noted, us Britons love talking about the weather

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I live on the UK North West coast , the swells were 10 to 20 feet . It flooded large areas of the coast line today . It will be worse on Monday with a predicted 48 foot Swell in Southern Ireland
. The swell could be as much as 15 to 25 feet in my area which could have the potential to close roads . I know the emergency services are on full flood alert . Follow this link and click the play button , the huge black cycle is 48 feet + swell , my thoughts to all it may affect , be safe not stupid .

magicseaweed.com...
edit on 3/1/2014 by adarma because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/1/2014 by adarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by adarma

Aye, there's more bad weather to come on Sunday/Monday - after which it should ease off for a bit.

btw just to clarify - I don't consider this particuar storm to be exceptional. However I do consider the run of storms over the past 3 weeks to be exceptional. Bearing in mind we (obviously) don't get tropical cyclones - albeit our mundane Atlantic depressions can still sometimes produce wind speeds equivalent to a Cat1 or even Cat2 hurricane.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Hi Andy

Ok point taken - but even if you were not quoting media hype - there has been hype +++ in the media about this storm and the last and the last.

We live in a temperate climate, it rains a bit, which keeps our land green in this allegedly pleasant land. Which is good.

The bottom line is it is not the weather or the climate that cause the problem - but the over population of our small island.

Too much building on water meadows, too much concrete - too many homes close to flood plains and the sea,

There are too many of us on this island. Hence lots of new house and an increase in flooded properties.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Oh dear..*holds head in hands*.....wrong thread Helen, wrong thread.
Why didn't you talk about the cut backs that have just been 'leaked' that are going to happen to the environment agency, or the uncompleted and shelved plans for flood defences? You chose instead to skirt very close to the topic of either immigration or some sort of population control.....which is it? Or have I just totally misunderstood what you are trying to say?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I do not have a clue what you are on about.
Have a great evening ..

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I don't like the fact that people are flooded and such but does anyone else love wild weather like this? It rained today and I have never seen or felt bigger rain drops I love it

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

You are right. I've been saying it on these forums for years!

I also posted something similar to your post on skynews but it never made the comments section. I think there are MODS on there who could be from Asia or Africa who dont post those types of comments!
edit on CSTSun, 05 Jan 2014 17:23:41 -06000000003105x041x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Just had a fag outside and It's great the wind is making the rain come in waves and looking through the light of a street light the rain waves were going up

Love it I do

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Have you seen the size of the incoming black blob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's the size of the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

magicseaweed.com...

Stay safe if any of yous are on the coasts!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I'm up on the 6th floor of a hospital and have absolutely loved watching the weather the last few days.
The sweeping patterns of rain, especially at night and in the morning.
I know people have suffered in the floods and i'm not trying to make light of it, but it's stunning to watch severe and powerful weather.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join