It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Exceptional weather' with rain, wind and high tides to hit UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
(not my words)

A period of "exceptional weather" bringing rain, wind and high tides is set to hit the UK, Environment Secretary Owen Paterson has said.

The Environment Agency issued several severe flood warnings - indicating a danger to life - for south-west England, Gloucestershire and Wales.

Tidal flooding is expected in "numerous locations" on Friday due to large waves, high tides and strong winds.

Mr Paterson said ministers were working to ensure all agencies were prepared.

He was speaking after chairing a meeting of the Cobra emergency committee, in which the UK's flood response was discussed.

Mr Paterson said the coast would be dangerous.

More here

Basically more heavy rain, high seas and gales to come - so watch out folks!

As an aside, this run of unusual (though not exceptional) stormy weather has been laregly driven by the cold weather affecting North America: as air flows west to east across the northern hemisphere, it means very cold air coming across the relatively mild Atlantic. This temp contrast leads to cyclogenesis - the creation of low pressure systems (cyclones) - which wizz across the Atlantic until they hit Britain. So basically it's all the American's fault!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

So typical British winter weather for us then
although I'm getting a bit bored of the grey miserable weather. About time we started having some snow. Tsk always the yanks screwing things up for us being greedy and keeping the snow to themselves

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I remember couple of weeks before xmas and the weather peeps telling us to get ready for the big freeze saying its gonna hit us hard.

Never come? Time will tell on this. I love how unprepared we are in the UK when we get snow for a couple of day's

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
waits for the Texans to mention that everything's bigger there and they currently have drifts of about 5 miles deep of snow even where its 140 degree's in the shade

hope it doesn't get too bad in reality as my mums not good on her feet and one bad slip and its not going to be nice for her for months

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

coolcatt

I remember couple of weeks before xmas and the weather peeps telling us to get ready for the big freeze saying its gonna hit us hard.

Never come? Time will tell on this. I love how unprepared we are in the UK when we get snow for a couple of day's

Long range forecasts are not reliable, but the storm that' showing to effect the South West overnight will probably be as big as predicted.

We have suffered over the last few weeks with strong winds and heavy rain, more of the same isn't surprising.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

It is going to rain but I must say that I prefer the mild temps with rain to the Freezing temps with snow and ice!

At least this way, the Energy Suppliers won't be getting our cash (as they hiked up the costs recently).
edit on CSTThu, 02 Jan 2014 15:36:41 -0600u3103x041x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

For your mom - they have ice shoes so it may be a good investment if she is worried about ice. Like tennis shoes sotof but extra grip. You can get them at a sporting goods store.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

coolcatt

FFS, don't encourage them, their weather advertisments are bad enough
...BTW, it's blowing like mad, and precipitating profusely here in Nor'n Ireland, sometimes they mention us, sometimes not.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by coolcatt

To be fair, the weather peeps were saying nothing of the sort.

What the tabloid media peeps were saying is another matter

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
How quickly it changes.It was only 12 hours ago it was warm enough down here to have the house windows open.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Does anyone think that this thread here on ATS has anything to do with it ( if true)
link

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

smurfy

coolcatt

...BTW, it's blowing like mad, and precipitating profusely here in Nor'n Ireland, sometimes they mention us, sometimes not.

I always listen out for the Union countries weather, hoping and praying it's always going to be worse than the South West of England. It often is, but not tonight!!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Cobaltic1978

smurfy

coolcatt

I always listen out for the Union countries weather, hoping and praying it's always going to be worse than the South West of England. It often is, but not tonight!!

Well, I'm on the East coast, and it is pretty dirty, I'll add that it has stopped raining just now, and I saw a peep of Jupiter. Another poster has said about the long range forecasting, and is correct that it was the press and not the Met Office...the Met doesn't do the long range stuff much any more, so this is what they said around October, (probably in response to the ridiculous 'Daily Express')

"While we have seen a return to more normal, cooler temperatures for this time of year, this is no indication of what we can expect over the next four months with regards to temperatures and when we might see snow. It is far too early to tell.
Ultimately, we’re heading into winter and it is perfectly possible that we will see the whole range of weather that we get in winter at some point over the coming months, including snow and freezing temperatures, but also heavy rain, windy weather and mild conditions too."
So no cherrypicking there, just the whole gamut of weather, ahem..whether you like it or not.

There's a lot of stuff with our local weather, and perhaps weather in general that they just don't tell you that they might just have an opinion of.
edit on 2-1-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Basically more heavy rain, high seas and gales to come - so watch out folks!

As an aside, this run of unusual (though not exceptional) stormy weather has been laregly driven by the cold weather affecting North America: as air flows west to east across the northern hemisphere, it means very cold air coming across the relatively mild Atlantic. This temp contrast leads to cyclogenesis - the creation of low pressure systems (cyclones) - which wizz across the Atlantic until they hit Britain. So basically it's all the American's fault!

Nah, it's Mexico's fault. They haven't done a thing to plug up the volcano that's sitting off their coast pumping out water vapor. Half joking of course, it's in international waters! Seriously though, the volcano south of Baja has been the source of the precipitation falling on the US east coast for the past month or so. It seems there's some activity in the Atlantic too, further feeding the current storms, though not as intensely localized like the Baja volcano. (meaning, smaller eruptions spread out or simply from the hydrothermal vents along the mid-Atlantic rift)

Don't take my word for that, go look for yourself, seriously.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

CretumOrbis

Nah, it's Mexico's fault. They haven't done a thing to plug up the volcano that's sitting off their coast pumping out water vapor. Half joking of course, it's in international waters! Seriously though, the volcano south of Baja has been the source of the precipitation falling on the US east coast for the past month or so. It seems there's some activity in the Atlantic too, further feeding the current storms, though not as intensely localized like the Baja volcano. (meaning, smaller eruptions spread out or simply from the hydrothermal vents along the mid-Atlantic rift)

Don't take my word for that, go look for yourself, seriously.

You are close with the Mexico bit, I would tend toward the Gulf of Mexico events to more explain the north Altantic weather for much of 2013 and into 2014.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

It looks like the worst of it could hit North West Scotland, East Northern Ireland. As if we haven't had enough!!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Here we go again - come on please stop buying into the media hype.

Remember England / Britain is the place that cannot deal with
Autumn and the ' leave s on the line' [ trains come to a standstill]
1 inch of snow : schools close / hospital staff stay at home etc etc.
A bit of sun - panic, panic.

When we have hurricanes and typhoons like they have in the United States and Gulf of Mexico, fires like the Australians and floods like Bangladesh ... then we can panic and I will listen.

Please stop spreading this fear mongering.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
i wouldn't mind a bit of that cold weather right now,the mercury where i am in aus will hit around 39 degrees Celsius and that is bloody hot....

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed
i wouldn't mind a bit of that cold weather right now,the mercury where i am in aus will hit around 39 degrees Celsius and that is bloody hot....

Ha ha, you think that until you get it.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

HelenConway

Here we go again - come on please stop buying into the media hype.

Remember England / Britain is the place that cannot deal with
Autumn and the ' leave s on the line' [ trains come to a standstill]
1 inch of snow : schools close / hospital staff stay at home etc etc.
A bit of sun - panic, panic.

When we have hurricanes and typhoons like they have in the United States and Gulf of Mexico, fires like the Australians and floods like Bangladesh ... then we can panic and I will listen.

Please stop spreading this fear mongering.

On the contrary, the OP is not buying the media hype, he/she is making a dissertation of the weather. I don't happen to agree with all that is being said there though. the Westerly winds, (directly from the American continent) are not there, and have not been for some time. The flow is currently north/South and vice versa in the main, up from the South always very blustery and damaging in these parts at least, and used to be rare enough. What we have been getting most of 2013 for the UK, are cold winds from the North, and coming down from the west side or East side of the UK and pulling into the island from a Western or Eastern direction, or warm and blusterly winds coming from the South upwards and pulling into the island in the same way. The schoolroom taught prevailing Westerly wind right across from the American continent just isn't there anymore, and that wind was a marker of how the Jetstream, and the Gulfstream behaved as a pair, one influencing the other.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join