Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Dogs Poop in Alignment with Earth's Magnetic Field

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I call hoax, my li'l Pomeranian, Tribble, he will curl one off regardless (usually at the bottom of the stairs where I will usually stand in it first thing of a morning) of orientation. He's only a few months old mind, we are training him....next time he makes a Mr Whippy outside, I'll be sure to see which way the flake is pointing.

EDIT: This is Tribble, for anyone who's interested....

edit on 2/1/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
So this study was only done on dogs?
My cat does the same thing! She faces North.

I always thought she did it (facing North which is towards the wall), because she was shy or liked her privacy , when in reality she's a genius.

I wonder what else these pets know, that we don't know they know.

Very funny thread, and educational.
My cat is a living compass!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Plus, what relevance does this have on ANYTHING in life? Is it going to save someone's life in the future?

Well if someone is walking in the woods with a dog and they get lost they only have to wait for the dog to poop and they can find their way out!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sakrateri

Hahaha. Omg, you are so funny, and hey it could happen, you never know.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This could be quasi meaningful some day. We are discovering that animals and possibly humans have a sensitivity to electromagnetism that is not currently understood. This sensitivity may be keener than we expect also- perhaps keen enough that we can learn to recognize subtle influences on normal EMF-sense, such as a song being on the radio or your phone about to go off or someone being near you. It may even prove to be related to ESP.

So dog poop proves there is an antenna, we do further experimentation and learn how to use it, next thing you know you've got blue tooth without an ear piece. Maybe. Or maybe we add a sentence on finding north to the boy scout handbook and that's as far as we get. Time well tell.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

HandyDandy
reply to post by FatherStacks

Who fed those 70 dogs for this 2-year experiment/observation? Who housed them? Who paid to feed and house them?

Who paid for the people to follow said dogs around?

Plus, what relevance does this have on ANYTHING in life? Is it going to save someone's life in the future? Are we going to find alternate fuel from this? Etc.

Uh, the dog owners did. See page 14 of this .pdf under the "Methods Sections". No one went out and bought dogs, housed them and fed them etc. These were dog owners/reporters recruited for this study. Many such observational studies actively recruit volunteers- it's not an uncommon practice. Many are paid a small sum, but just as many aren't.

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but please read the original material before getting all bent out of shape. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing your point and I do agree there's a lot of waste out there, but this was was a very simple experimental design that was inexpensive to setup and yielded a provisionally interesting result. Kudos to the principal investigators.

Not all scientific experiments and studies directly produce results that are of immediate value, nor are they intended to. Sometimes there's a nugget of info, in this case dogs may be sensitive to magnetic fields, that could be of tremendous value later on. Who knows? But if we don't know about something to begin with, how do we ever find an application for it?

edit on 2-1-2014 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
My dog absolutely poops north/south EVERY time, with the majority of time facing south. Is a weird subject, I know, but it made me sit here and think about it. My office window faces the backyard, so I pretty much see him whenever he attends to business. I never, ever recall him facing east/west, which would make his butt toward me, so I'd know about it. Weird. Even weirder to actually type in words.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Sakrateri

Plus, what relevance does this have on ANYTHING in life? Is it going to save someone's life in the future?

Well if someone is walking in the woods with a dog and they get lost they only have to wait for the dog to poop and they can find their way out!

Wouldn't it be easier to notice that moss only grows on the north side of trees?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

FatherStacks
Uh, the dog owners did. See page 14 of this .pdf under the "Methods Sections". No one went out and bought dogs, housed them and fed them etc. These were dog owners/reporters recruited for this study. Many such observational studies actively recruit volunteers- it's not an uncommon practice. Many are paid a small sum, but just as many aren't.

Good to know. I actually looked for more info. I guess being at work and in a hurry doesn't pay off.

Plus, I was under the impression that mammals being sensitive to magnetic waves was a given already. Hence my reaction.
edit on 2-1-2014 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

You guys are killing me right now! I've got the flu with uncontrollable coughing fits and I can hardly breathe right now.This is too funny. I love the pole flip idea. I guess day by day your dog changes its direction a bit.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Now that you mention it, every time I have seen my dog “go” she's facing the canal behind my property. That happens to be north. It's not always directly north, probably a little NW, but NW would be the direction of magnetic north as opposed to true north. So this seems to be true... {up}

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Dogs beat the crap out of people

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

1st- Snf!
2nd- I admit not reading the posts ( i know shame on me ) But really ?!? nobody posted any pics or vids of dogs pooping yet? I will not read this thread until I see some bonafide canine feces.

Pics or it didn't happen. lmao (edit) maybe a compass in the background?
edit on 2-1-2014 by theyrout2getus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

HandyDandy

Sakrateri

Wouldn't it be easier to notice that moss only grows on the north side of trees?

How northern hemisphericist of you.

Please don't be a party pooper over this research.

You need to drop a load off your shoulders and lighten up.

Perhaps your anger and frustration might be better directed towards those who actively plot and devise ways to inhibit and kill people?

Don't be a nincomPOOP!.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

HandyDandy

We have people dying of starvation or people who can't afford to get a simple basic life saving shot, but we can spend countless dollars following dogs around while they poop?

I hate this planet.

Like it or not man will always seek out answers. And the poor starving people you mention for the most part bring it on themselves. I know it is harsh but it is also true. Many people refuse to help themselves.

I say seek out the answers.
edit on 2-1-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

snowspirit
Weirdly enough, my dog faced north this morning while pooping.
My Lab. I don't know about the Shihtzu, but he thinks he's half cat, so he gets to be unobserved.

My new obsession. Watching what direction my Lab is facing while doing his business.....

Well I knew there had to be something to the ritual but I guess it was the rain and overcast day that had my lab all screwed up cause she pooped in two different directions today. Two north and south and one to the east and west lol.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

The Vagabond
This could be quasi meaningful some day. We are discovering that animals and possibly humans have a sensitivity to electromagnetism that is not currently understood. This sensitivity may be keener than we expect also

No just a good compass if you have no hound dog in you already
. I would try to figure out how to read the poop as it falls on the ground so you can figure out how to know witch way the dog took to get out of the woods lol.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If a dog craps in the woods ...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by HandyDandy

Consider, now, that dogs are yet another species that seems to have sensory organs for the magnetic field. Cows, etc, were recently discovered to align to the magnetic field, not to mention birds, fish, and other migratory animals. But the purpose for migratory animals is clear and defined: they use the magnetic field to navigate their migratory paths.

Well, that surprises me. I didn't think anyone knew about cows. If you look at cows and horses in a field with nothing pestering them, they'll often align either in wind direction or by magnetic bearing if they're just standing around. Same with cows lying down to chew cud, they'll often tend to line up north-south, unless they're trying to get in the shade or something. It's sort of a default behavior.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
LOL!

I'm willing to bet good money that cows, at least the male ones, do exactly the same thing...
and I'm pretty sure horses do too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join