It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winnipeg, Colder than North Pole and surface of Mars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
OWW! I am the president emeritus of the Order of Winter Wussies. Since I was little, I blamed the dumb stork for a faulty compass and for dropping me off so far north of decent temps. Take heart dearies, only several more weeks until we can dig out our cars and stop wearing parkas indoors.

I feel for those of you with frozen pipes. Been there, and I hope your city was more helpful to you than mine was. My problems happened right where the pipes entered the house. Frost line went below that so in the following years I had to pile up snow on top of bales of hay, and that did the trick. Wishing you a happy outcome to this misery. Brrr!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MBMASON

Dam it's only a +7 here in Vancouver and wet. ./...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Had a friend from Yellowknife, NWT and the only time she had McD's is when her dad brought it (hours old) by plane from his trips to Vancouver.

btw, the coolest place to hang out was at the Dairy Queen (lol of all businesses to thrive) in winter. Go figure.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

jsettica
reply to post by MBMASON

Dam it's only a +7 here in Vancouver and wet. ./...

Hey I remember when it was +7, but it feels so last century to me.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

I often wonder how on Earth do homeless people survive the cold in winter time?

They don't. Authorities send police out to pick up the stiffs before mainstreamers start work. Some homeless go to hospitals but if they're sick they've been known to die after being ignored for 30-40 hours.

Not all true. Sorry.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Don't kill the messenger (that would be me) but:

today's high in Carlsbad, New Mexico was 52 degrees Fahrenheit

tomorrow's forecast is 66 degrees

day after that 67.

You Canuks can keep the minus signs...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

In Madison, Wisconsin they're forecasting -22F for Monday morning. This isn't any fun, but it's relatively common to have the first week in January not get above 0 for a week - nothing new.

People were saying it's going to be a cold winter because the deer were quite fatty during the hunt, and the walnut trees were heavy with nuts this summer/fall.

Nature knows - you need to heed their warnings.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
-25C today outside working on car.
Yesterday, tire goes flat, Nut strips, won't come off.
Simple job turned bad, finger tips turning white and throbbing; fun times!

Wwwwwhy!?!

At least we still have power.
(jinx)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Yup, it's been ranging anywhere from -29 to -38 celsius for the past week or so here (I'm about 2 hours north of Winterpeg)... wind gusts making the windchill factor in the -40's or so.

I actually heard loud snapping/popping sounds in one of our walls upstairs when I was sitting on the computer the other night. The sound was so loud that it made me jump out of my chair.

Freaked the hell out of me and now I'm concerned about what kind of condition the underlying frame structure is like in that part of the wall now.

Is it possible that a few of the studs snapped or something ?

Hubby doesn't think it's anything to worry about (just the house expanding and contracting in the freezing temps)... but I disagree because it's nothing I've ever heard before. I've lived in this deep freeze of a country all my life and have witnessed all kinds of crazy things in these types of temperatures... but walls making sudden loud snapping sounds ???

Has anyone ever heard of that happening before ?!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
we re got or had plus 10 degrees c here all dec and its just now made it it zero, no subzero temps yet. and im in south western norway . 1000 miles south of the north pole wet, windy and rainy .. we had one good snow fall over thanksgiving , got over a foot and now its almost all melted lol i guess im living in the tropics lol those temps are what is the norms here but we re just not getting it .. cheers ..

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
So I have to ask, OP, given this thread, what kind of masochists are applying to go to mars? And are any of them Canadians? We have to help these people.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

dianashay
reply to post by soficrow

Had a friend from Yellowknife, NWT and the only time she had McD's is when her dad brought it (hours old) by plane from his trips to Vancouver.

btw, the coolest place to hang out was at the Dairy Queen (lol of all businesses to thrive) in winter. Go figure.

Glad she missed out on mickey D's, MUCH better for her health. But that Dairy Queen connection... ?!? lol Today is warming up to -10C - oh joy! Time to walk the dogs, take out trash, catch up quick. Back to -25C tomorrow. Am wondering what's wrong with my mind. Why did I move back here again?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Has anyone ever heard of that happening before ?!

I was living in Saskatchewan before here in Alberta, central east side.
It seems to get down to -20 there, and only gets colder til winter is done. I was hearing those noises a lot, sometimes so loud that it sounded like a board had snapped.

I've been getting the same noises a bit here in Alberta - it's slightly warmer, but down to -20 or colder mostly.

It's all under the roof, and inside the walls, so I don't know if there's damage being gone or not. I'll probably find damage when we renovate.

I had some wicked damage to the cement floors in the garage in Sask with the cold ..Big cracks

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MBMASON

On New Year's Eve the temperature here in the Peg reached -37.9 C. According to the Mars curiosity rover the surface of Mars was -29C.

Has Mars warmed up? I was sure that years ago, I heard about somewhere being colder than somewhere out in space, I thought they had said -50 or so
??

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
you you guys might want to visit brisbane....although its just as debilitating in the +40 Celsius we are getting.....

www.theaustralian.com.au...-premium

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
you guys are acting like this is cold.. *lol* those temps are considered a typical winter here in montana, oddly enough this winter has been mild for us.

Think we have it bad, try alaska, although lately they have been lucky on temps but normally they are colder than any of us.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Just a few days ago it was plus 12 C, and stayed above 0 for nearly a week. Now its -5, and fluxuates. And we were all complaining about the -5, would rather it went from May-October temps, rinse and repeat. I would never live anywhere else in Canada though. Southern BC, interior.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join