It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's climate warming faster than feared, scientists say

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

Well everyone hears global warming and they automatically think hotter. That is a misconception. Yes, we have had couple warmest years on record and yes it is happening. We are just beginning to really understand this phenomenon.

The honest truth is we really don't know what is going to happen. We can computer model it etc. But no one alive has experienced anything like this. We do know it has happened before. We can see in soil and ice core samples and layers that at times in the earth's past when things have tipped one way or the other changes can come quickly and violently.

Warming does not mean it is just getting hotter. It means there will be violent weather changes everywhere around the world. Longer more violent winters, stronger hurricanes and typhoons, this year we had the largest ever recorded. Water levels rise and ice sheets melt. We have seen the complete loss of areas where there was always ice in the past. Why do you care, because that was fresh water sources for thousands of life forms, not just people.

Many people are going to have to migrate because many cities in the future will flood, and areas that had water and was sustainable no longer is. There will be big changes or not. Like I said, we have never been here before. Factor in our earth's protective shield has holes and is weakening.

The future will be very interesting. One thing is sure, if you can't see for yourself that we are at a tipping point and that things are changing you have no common sense. I don't need a scientist to tell me the storms are getting drastically larger and more violent. We are living it.

The Bot

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Good luck to you too. Any death threats yet?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

soficrow
reply to post by TDawgRex

Good luck to you too. Any death threats yet?

LOL. I'm the one usually issuing them.
Though I never mean it.

It's hard to get a grip on emotions when going through withdrawal.

But back on topic, right now, in my area, the weather channel and local meteorologists can’t seem to get their act together. We are getting slapped down by the weather. None of the forecasts have been right.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Zeppp

Kali74
reply to post by soficrow

Yeah, people really should learn how climate works before commenting on the debate. They might then learn there's no debate to be had and we're just in for a chaotic ride until we either pull our collective head out of our collective ass and solve it or we die. As you know, global warming will cause extreme weather, including winter extremes, for about as long as there is ice in the Arctic, once the ice is gone then we will have the global warming everyone thinks the term means.

First it was global warming and when people saw it wasn't getting warm they changed their strategy to climate change. Now they are saying that global warming causes extreme climate change. LOL!!! Just keep throwing the sh!t against the wall something will eventually stick.

No. God do I get tired of seeing the same old memes every goddamn thread. Here's the actual term, ready?

Anthropogenic (man made) Global Warming Induced Climate Change.

This means that we are causing the planet to warm which is changing the climate. A warming planet can cause horrible winter weather for as long as there is ice in the arctic, really for as long as the arctic is cold. Because it's winter in the Northern Hemisphere we get less sunlight so air temperatures go down. Because the temperatures aren't dropping as frequently or as much in the arctic there is more open water, more open water means more precipitation (snow). It can also mean less ice, less wind barrier, causing snap cold spells that in some cases may even mean record breaking cold for a day here a week there... the thing is that overall temperatures for these areas are still higher than they were as little as 10-20 years ago.

Global warming will never mean winter goes away just that someday soon winter won't be cold, we will always have seasons but what it will eventually mean is that (using my normal winter temps) instead of an average of 20-25F over the winter it will become 25-30F and then 35-40F and so on. This will probably happen within the next 30-40 years and definitely by 2100. For now it is a slow process (to our brains, but is very fast compared to paleoclimate records) but it will reach a point where it all starts escalating and things change must faster.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

In another twist of irony "Ship with 52 rescued Akademik Shokalskiy climate scientists and tourists is only able to make 1/4 knot (0.29 mph) in heavy ice towards open water. Latest webcam views show all ice all around the ship and no open water ahead." wattsupwiththat.com...

Talk about luck eh ..:>)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

the2ofusr1

In another twist of irony "Ship with 52 rescued Akademik Shokalskiy climate scientists and tourists is only able to make 1/4 knot (0.29 mph) in heavy ice towards open water. Latest webcam views show all ice all around the ship and no open water ahead." wattsupwiththat.com...

Talk about luck eh ..:>)

this is being thrown around by conservatives as proof of something but i listened to the people on the ship being interviewed the other day and according to the researchers:

www.npr.org...

CORNISH: Alok Jha, what is the weather like right now? I mean, what are the conditions there? I think we hear a lot of wind, obviously, in the background.

JHA: Yeah. Well, I'm on top of the ship. It's incredibly windy. It's been windy for the last few days. It's going to get even more windy. Very, very cold, of course, although the last few days it's also been raining, which is an indication of the fact that it's slightly warmer than average for Antarctica here.

so it is WARMER there than normal and then they were hit with a blizzard which froze everything causing them to get stuck. extreme weather.... that's caused by climate change.
edit on 2-1-2014 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

burntheships

Hey, have you heard about that stranded ship of climate scientists?
Mysteriously, the media has turned it into a ship of mere “tourists”

lmao....

Tourists....hahaha

I commented on it being a global warming science trip on an English website and they removed my comment. I didn't even violate one t&c except maybe it was controversial statement. I pointed that out to another poster here and they asked for the link.

What a joke the climate changes everyday.

The biggest climate change is political.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

The shield you were talking about is the Ozone layer.

Number one destroyer of Ozone is Diesel fuel emissions (most ships, trains and large trucks and many vehicles). Second is gasoline emissions.

Ozone is one of the easiest things for our thermal dynamic system to create if we slow down the use of these two fuels alone our system could rejuvenate very quickly.

evaporated water (fresh or salt) taken into the upper atmosphere and it exposed to the UV from the sun and that creates Ozone that shields the Earth from harmful solar effects.

I am all for alternative fuels (not biofuels they leave to much carbon build-up in engines and shorten their lives). The air compression engines are looking good, and so are electro-magnetics but the research is being stuffed away and made to expensive to go that route at the moment.

edit on 2-1-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Same solution for both problems, we have to get away from fossil fuels.
On this we can agree.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

And to prove how right they are one scientist stuck a thermometer in a kettle as he was making a coffee or two, -- might not have been the kettle, he might have stuck it elsewhere, anyway they are not fools you know, far from it, they are well paid ........... so they must be right

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Seems to me, with what I have read over the years, we are going into a mini ice age.

I may be wrong.... time will tell.

History tells me the warming is over. We are onto another cycle.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

InverseLookingGlass
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

obviously, you have some material basis for your point of view. Can you reveal that? There are those that would love to see the science or hear the Bible verses or whatever you have.

This topic is of vital importance to every soul on this planet. Given that and the high stakes, you should provide ample basis and not just cavalier talk.

Using empty words and baseless belief to influence people is not only ignorant, it's immoral.

Yeah, global warming, while I sit here at -28C for the 7th time in two weeks since mid December. I think I want some ef'ing global warming, but then I think it would be better to move south. So if you want to get rid of this BS "global warming" thing, it might be an idea to remove the problem, that being the politicians (all of them), the paid off AGW scientists (all of them) and their handlers in the international bankster cartel (not unlike the drug cartels, except they sell fear rather than recreation).

BTW, from all the research I had done when this crap started, CO2 emissions FOLLOW temperature increases, NOT the other way around. In addition, according to mainstream theory cowfarts and SUV's are changing the environments on all the other planets in our local system as well. Hmmm, what could do that? Errr, the sun maybe, since it is the greatest source of heat in the solar system?

But let's also step back to the 70's as well, when "they" predicted a mini-iceage by the 90's, hmmmm. Pretty exact science this AGW / ACC bunch is trying to float for fun and profit LOL. Seems like a lot of thumb-suck Bayes' theorem and crystal balls which makes it an awful lot like a religion.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/2.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Only time will tell, and stop the controversy. The only thing that is guaranteed is that one side is being lied to.

Arctic Sea Ice 50% Thicker Than Last Year, Scientists ‘Didn’t Expect’ Growth In Wake Of 2012 Shrinkage

The ESA announced in a statement on Monday that measurements from Cryosat, the ESA’s polar monitoring platform, showed that Arctic sea ice average thickness grew about 20 percent, or around 30 cm, from 2012 to 2013. Data suggested there was almost 9,000 cubic kilometers (1,400 cubic miles) of ice at the end of the 2013 melt season. Around the same time last year, there was 6,000 cubic kilometers (1,400 cubic miles) of ice, for a net increase of nearly 3,000 cubic kilometers (1,400 cubic miles) compared with 2012.

www.google.com...)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

ChesterJohn

I commented on it being a global warming science trip on an English website and they removed my comment. I didn't even violate one t&c except maybe it was controversial statement.

Kudos to you!

Yah, the truth of the matter is it looks like the media is playing us for fools,
and this seems to add fuel to the fire that AGW is a carbon tax and credit scheme,
the media is going to protect its sacred cow.

They cant have peeps telling the truth now, it has been a long haul agenda
and they thought they had it wrapped up.
edit on 3-1-2014 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

ChesterJohn
reply to post by dlbott

The shield you were talking about is the Ozone layer.

Number one destroyer of Ozone is Diesel fuel emissions (most ships, trains and large trucks and many vehicles). Second is gasoline emissions.

Ozone is one of the easiest things for our thermal dynamic system to create if we slow down the use of these two fuels alone our system could rejuvenate very quickly.

evaporated water (fresh or salt) taken into the upper atmosphere and it exposed to the UV from the sun and that creates Ozone that shields the Earth from harmful solar effects.

I am all for alternative fuels (not biofuels they leave to much carbon build-up in engines and shorten their lives). The air compression engines are looking good, and so are electro-magnetics but the research is being stuffed away and made to expensive to go that route at the moment.

edit on 2-1-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

You forgot to mention buses.
And airplanes.

I read a scientific study a few years back that said ONE airplane taking off puts out more than all the vehicles in Los Angeles do in one year, combined.

Nobody ever brings air travel into the equation, and it is one of the biggest polluters on the planet.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

JimTSpock

Hasn't been hot at all so far this summer. I wouldn't mind 3 or 4 degrees rise. I think global warming is real but maybe the effects of a 3 or 4 degree rise have been blown out of proportion. I can't really see the world ending because the average global temp rises 3 or 4 degrees. Besides at this point there's very little anyone can do about it. As far as global greenhouse gas emissions it's business as usual and no significant reductions are happening. A bit here and there but governments don't seem concerned about it much at all.

Generally the argument is warmer temperatures will melt the ice and fill up the oceans and inundate coastal cities, sending millions of people as refuges to saturated cities who cannot take them. And then there's the desertification that'll make it harder to grow crops, as they don't grow as well in the high latitudes. There's the extinction rate to be concerned with as many scientists assert a rapidly changing climate will result in the extinctions of many species. And of course they say the oceans are acidifying because of the increased Co2 absorption. This could cause mass population loss in shell fish and who knows what else. And htey go on down a list of disastrous things which will cost us trillions. One of the worst is the warming climate sets off the methane hydrates which overloads our greenhouse. As you can imagine, they can always pull another nightmare out of the hat.

But they also say much of the damage will be felt by the poor populations.

However, the problem I see with climate science and this AGW thing is it cannot be falsified. The only way to falsify it is to travel into the future.

We're being asked to make a choice based on a probability or risk. It's like a cop pulling his gun and shooting somebody because that person LOOKED like they were holding a gun. To the greatest extent they examine historic evidence and they make models to replicate it and they say "If a man pulls out and holds something that looks like a gun, odds are good it's a gun and you should shoot them." They say "Our models say all hell will break lose, so we should do something."

If I've shown mild signs of being compulsive-obsessive and/or showing autistic or asperger-like symptoms, should I immediately be sent to the psychiatrist and assigned medication? The probabilities say I have a X percentage chance of becoming a train wreck if I don't go to the psychiatrists office. However, if I'm particularly hard headed and do not wish to seek mental healthcare or help for my problems, I might choose to decline them, but even so, they may get crammed down my throat by somebody who feels I can't make my own choices.

We're near a ledge or think we're and we're wondering how to stay safe?
edit on 3-1-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Hi ...it is summer down there no ? also I was under the impression that that group had gone down there to see the effects of global warming , trying to follow in the steps of a explorer 100 years earlier who actually made it to the rocky shore in the bay .They were also on the outskirts of the continent but I would think that there is plenty of cold inland . I noticed that they were all wearing heavy winter clothing in some of the pics they sent back . It is summer there but its a cold place ....It gets warm in the arctic up here in the summer too but the ice this year came early and the extent is above average like in the south ... peace

edit to add ...well what the scientific community calls climate change is warmer weather , colder weather , but they are trying to say that its humans that are causing it and that is where I call BS ...Our Arctic has been open in the past and closed in the past ..the fact of the matter is that climate seems to cycle back and forth but chugs along , and we as humans have the ability to adapt or move ...

edit on 3-1-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Airplane fuels there are two classes Jet A and AVgas. the later is Low Lead and High Octane it actually is a clean burning fuel. But Jet fuel while low lead has a lot of oil in it and needs to burn at high temps and at 29-39,000 feet the burn is less effective so it does pollute more. the result is what people call chem-trails.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

We call that "winter" up here in the cold cold North. Personally, I can hardly wait til the poles reverse, the Earth shifts on its axis and now-Northern climes become tropical again.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I have always been hoping for the north to become tropical and the ability to grow Bananas .Summers are way too short and winters are way too long ...Some day I hope ...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join