It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How D-Wave Could Make Or Break Quantum Computing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

But to Monroe, it does matter. If D-Wave is going to call their machine “the world’s first quantum computer, he wants it to truly be quantum. At its best, D-Wave could change everything. But if it’s not what it says, it could seriously affect the funding of quantum mechanics research.

How D-Wave Could Make Or Break Quantum Computing

This is it. Quantum processing, Corporate got it first I want two chips and a coke.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ChefSlug

Maybe the D-Wave could be "D-wave." (Local slang terminology for trend for those unfamiliar).

Technically speaking, wouldn't a quantum computer have to have a conscious, or at least just a collective one that attaches to other quantum computers it interacts with?

I mean like, quantum physics has basically combined metaphysics with physics and astrophysics, as well as geometry and music/sound/energy. I'm assuming then, something that is relativity "quantum" would encompass most, if not, all of the theories umbrellad under Quantum Physics itself. Therefore, if we are one with the universe, and the universe is one with us, and we applied this to building a computer, we'd essentially only be building a brain with a visual output stronger than vivid daydreams, only, the brain would have gone through milleniums of education in a matter of nanoseconds.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Are they talking about the DeBroglie wave? Old news isn't it?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

This professor, is just jealous. Google has been using Dwave computers now for three years and they have successfully found better solutions to image recognition problems than their classical models could. I have been following Dave for 5 years, they have constantly been making advances and making their critics look bad.

Another thing not mentioned in this article is that Dwave is giving away time to use the nasa computer for free. You have to be a mathematician to program it as all programs are written as a certain type of equation. If this professor is so interested in proving its quatumness, he can run his own programs. Dwave is much more concerned about making something that works, that is why they have succeeded and universities have failed.

They have been almost doubling the number of qubits on their machines each year. If they are able to continue that, in just three years they will have the most powerful computer ever made.

In five years, if they continue to double its qubits it will approach the power of the human mind. Needless to say this company could change our world dramatically. One thing that must be understood, every qubit that is added is linked to every other qubit on the system providing that many more possible solutions, so they are exponential increases in computing power.

They are already working on software that attempts to imitate artificial intelligence. The NSA is rumored to have bought 2 machines, probably for the Utah data center.

I recommend anyone interested with Dwave follow their blog, hacking the multiverse. A lot of it goes over my head, but I still find it very interesting.

edit on 2-1-2014 by proximo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join