It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Garden of Cosmic Speculation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The Garden of Cosmic Speculation

For those that have not had the chance to visit, here are some pictures to give you a flavour of Charles Jenck’s spectacular masterpiece. The Garden of Cosmic Speculation is situated near Lockerbie, in the south of Scotland.

Created over 30 acres, the gardens depict the story of the universe, the distortion of space and time caused by a black hole, a ‘Quark Walk’ and landforms and lakes are sculpted to represent fractal geometry.

Open for just one day a year on the first Sunday of May (May 4th 2014), the gardens are a delight for both the senses and the intellect.

Built in 1989, Jencks states: "When we began the garden, I was not concerned with the larger issues of the cosmos. But over the years, they came more and more to the fore and I have used them as a spur to think about nature and to contemplate and speculate on the origins of the universe. And in that respect, this garden is part of a long historical tradition. Japanese Zen gardens, Persian paradise gardens, the English and French Renaissance gardens played out the story of the cosmos as it was understood then. So the idea of the garden as a microcosm of the universe is quite a familiar one. In fact, I feel it is the most compelling motive to create a garden. What is a garden if not a celebration of our place in the universe?"

Garden of Cosmic Speculation

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by beansidhe

Beautiful, and so is Scotland.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Beautiful post thanks for sharing. S and F for you

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
That is absolutely incredible! Why is it only open one day a year,tho?

I would love to spend a day here....maybe longer!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

It's truly gorgeous, isn't it? I think it's only open for one day a year because the designer lives in the house. It's basically his private garden. Every year in the UK a number of private gardens open to the public for a day under something called the National Garden scheme, and all money raised on entry goes to a charity of the owner's choice. I think he opens his garden under the same banner.

Oh, and Angryhulk- yes. Yes it is x

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have no idea why, but the second pic reminds me of the snake mound in Ohio. Thanks for sharing op(although I've seen it). Very beautiful Scotland is.
edit on 2-1-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

It looks pretty similar. I've never heard of the snake mound, thanks.
Is this it?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
"The Great Serpent Mound of southwest Ohio averages about 1330 feet in length and 3 feet in height. Representing an unwinding serpent, the mound is sheathed in mystery and controversy. The serpent is thought by most to be about to swallow an egg. However many theories abound suggesting various interpretations. For instance some think it may represent an eclipse.

The mysteries don’t stop there. The very ground where the mound rests is also of interest to archeology. Seemingly full of cave-like or hollow structures, it is thought that perhaps there may be more to this serpent resting underground.

Conical mounds found nearby contained burials and implements that are characteristic of the prehistoric Adena people (800 BC-AD 100). Due to very acidic soil and predominant rainfall, many cave like structures reside underground. It is presumed that the Adena people may have resided in the caves. If true, there could be a treasure trove of artifacts waiting to be discovered."

Great Serpent Mound

Wow, I had no idea, that really is fascinating. Thanks Fylgje x
edit on 3-1-2014 by beansidhe because: sp

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

No problem, and thank you.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
A quick bump since it's Spring, and to give you time to plan a visit!

new topics

top topics

join