It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Harassing Bully Forum

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I look at a certain signature that seems to pop up on almost every current thread, and I don't need to read the post to know that it is going to be an insulting personal attack. The same person continues to repeat his/her self after every post, adding nothing but their ridicule to the entire thread.

I completely avoid a forum on my most favorite topic because even the mods attack each poster in insulting, belittling was. Everybody has an opinion, and a right to express themselves, but some get overly aggressive, as if diversity must be eliminated at all costs.

Some people are so unhappy that misery exudes from every fiber of their being, and you can see that in every forum they post on. I just try to consider the source and figure maybe their venting on here keeps them from beating their mate/children to a bloody pulp.

I think most people share what is in their heart, so let's share the good we have, and say a little prayer for those who don't having anything but angst in their life.
Maybe by venting on others they will be able to get enough of their vile out to find some happiness.

A wise man talks because he has something to say. A fool talks because he has to say something.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Hi sled. I think the problem here is the Internet in general. Like said previously I think where ever you post on the Internet, There's always going to be annoying people who have nothing better to do than attack threads!. They are keyboard warriors who would not dare say half the things they say on forums in real life!...Hang in there buddy

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

I bet I know who you are talking about!

I love these "sayings" you keep posting. Very deep! Thanks.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

First, Sled please don't leave, I truelly enjoy your thoughts and input.

Second, while I don't recommend going back playing alphabet soup with a bully. I have done it several times over on ATS. I have a sick sense of judgment maybe because I'm a libra. And these "Know-it-all's" that continually derail and passive aggressively bully other's that I met, I've made feel like donkey's and defend those they attack. I've don't this all my life, oddly enough. I'm not a big man, my bite however is one of a kind that matches my bark to a "t".

You will find this type of person throught all websites sadly. Likewise you will find people like me as well. We don't always have a good rep, because we get very defensive for those that are being attacked, but rest assured "my kind" are everywhere and we come to aid at the most unlikely times.

Best regards sled, don't give up as I never surrender and to those that protect those that can't themselves, I salute you.

Good day sir~

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Thank you, everyone. I didn't expect all this support. I appreciate it.

I'll probably just lay low for awhile and stay on my paranormal thread. I guess I'm spoiled by it because I don't have any ridiculers coming there to attack me.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I sort of feel like letting people bother you when you post on the Internet is like jumping in the ocean and then being annoyed you get wet. Additionally it can be very hard to tell context via a post. Something someone takes as sarcastic or bullying could just be a blunt/no punches pulled answer to a question.

In one of the posts I was on recently someone got what some people would take as bully-like just because I and others didn't agree with or didn't see his/her OP the same way they did. I don't agree with that person and the aggressive replies of that person had no visceral impact on me. It's par for the course when responding to a post on a forum. People are going to disagree, people are going to using the current hot meme to bring the lulz (ha) , people will have sharp biting retorts and some people will be truly elegant in their replies. You take the good with the bad but to expect it's always going to be or even should be rainbows and bunnies isn't realistic.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Sorry OP, this is the place to put on the big boy pants, or big girl pants whichever you choose.
But if you cannot handle the heat in an online forum, you might as well just go get a lifetime supply of Xanax, lithium, and valium and get declared "broken".
The world out there is much worse and definitely real.
Start thickening the skin, it's just an entertainment forum.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Its really quite simple: Report the 'bully' posts and dont respond.

Thats all it takes.

People make it out to be such a big deal, when, in reality, the only reason these 'trolls' keep coming back is because people keep feeding them.

Its the main reason I dont come to this site too often anymore. On one side, you have trolls. On the other, whiny people who find it too hard to just ignore them.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

What if your opinion is based on hoaxes...

When someone points it out and you still sick to your opinion should that person continue to respect your opinion? Should they let you spout nonsense that may sway an uninformed individuals opinion?

Sometimes people take being called out as being bullied... In that instance the issue is with the person spouting nonsense.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
In my very first thread after joining ATS I encountered a bully. I haven't attempted many threads on here since then. The people are vicious! I mostly just read, and every now and then I'll reply.

I have enjoyed your threads very much, Sled. Actually, your paranormal thread is the reason I signed up.
I love reading all the experiences there. One of the best threads on ATS, as far as I'm concerned.

I hope you will stay with us. I would be very sad to see you go.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The internet in General has this problem. People say things on here that would get them punched in the mouth if they said it face to face. I call them keyboard tough guys.
The people that bug me the most though are the ones that insist on arguing something that you didn't even say or try to twist your words around. It goes something like this.

Me: the sky is blue where I live.
Jerk: and whats so wrong with green? You have something against green dont you?
Me: uh no, I like green but the sky is blue here today.
Jerk: it's conservatives like you that screw up the planet we live on!
Me: dude I was just talking about the weather.
Jerk: why do you want to deport the immigrants just cuz they don't see a blue sky like you?

I know this is not exactly bullying with names and threats but it is still bullying a thread by making wild claims and pulling things out of thin air that were never said. The funny part is that these people get stars when they do this type of post. That tells me that someone agrees with them or they have multiple accounts and give themselves stars. Is that a crazy idea?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

I've ran into those people too!!

I think some people just do it for kicks to see how fast they can get under our skin. But, also, I think some are employed by ______________ to discredit certain information that's getting out.

My absence from doing another thread didn't last long. I just put up another one in the UFO forum. The worst for attacks!

But, I had to. I have to voice my opinion when I feel passionate about something.
I meant to stay away... I really did!

edit on 1/2/2014 by sled735 because: correction

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Just stay away from politics and religion then your golden!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Sled,

Keep one thing in mind, and I will say this with the utmost respect for you do not take it personally when people bully here on ATS, or anywhere else.

Over the years on ATS I have learned a lot about human behavior, what I have discovered is the Trolls, bullies, or people that create chaos in threads are searching just as hard for answers as everyone else.

While many people's egos are quick to take it as a personal attack, if one steps back and actually looks at what the troll has to say, it may be worthy of response, or may not, but under no circumstance should anyone take it personally.

I have actually had "Trolls" PM me over the years and tell me thanks for not reacting to them, and how much they actually got out of reading what I had posted. And how sorry they were for their behavior.

What is wonderful about reading and posting online is that over time one's reflection will eventually catch up with them.

Peace,

RT

P.S. And on a side-note I have very much enjoy your content that you have posted on ATS, and your upbeat disposition. Keep up the good work you do make a difference.

edit on 3-1-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Sled, as a poster that may very well be placed in the category you so eloquently describe, especially since I recently did a self-described "cannon ball" into one thread recently, please know that I do fully understand the frustration you're going through. I do not, however, feel that I'm an out-and-out "troll" and, OMG, I would NEVER wish to chase anyone away from a discussion site that I've only been on for a very few years myself. I honestly believe that everyone at SOME level has something to contribute even if you have to rattle their cage a bit to get it out of them.

All that being said I do have to shake my head and wonder when people wander into Internet forums such as ATS like Thoreau to "live deliberately" when, in reality, what they're getting into is like Crocodile Dundee wandering the streets of New York for the fist time saying "g'day" to everyone he passes. It can be like wandering into a wood chipper! The world is a varied place but it stays within a range from age to age. As big as ATS is there are plenty of areas to frequent, such as your para-normal section, that could be considered "safe zones" but nevertheless I would still reconsider leaving.

One suggestion that I would offer, and I realize I'm probably exposing my gross ignorance of how this site works, is that the links in the "MyATS" section to threads that a member posts to go directly to the first submission a poster has made in a thread rather than the first page of the thread. Also, while I know I've had quite a few replies to my submissions, I don't think any of them have ever shown up in the "Replies" section of "MyATS" or that icon doesn't work or perhaps I'm misreading the purpose of that area on the page.

I fully understand that there are a lot of things that I have yet to learn about submitting and working in this webforum but if a poster had the ability to see who had, indeed, replied to their submission, or lack thereof, it would make it easier to pick and choose those they would want to reply to and ignore the rest. Few have the time to read through and digest pages upon pages of any one thread to assimilate the information and form some coherent submission. So,if a person making a reply is overly aggressive you are free to ignore them. Believe me - I KNOW about being ignored here!

I ran across a great article in a fairly well known on-line magazine a couple of nights ago and I offer it to anyone that has the time for a little homework: www.cracked.com... The article is about a year old but it's had something of a life of its own since it was published. I'd had quite a few cups of coffee that evening so perhaps it was the caffeine that caused me to like it so much.
edit on 3-1-2014 by Ollie769 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Ollie769
One suggestion that I would offer, and I realize I'm probably exposing my gross ignorance of how this site works, is that the links in the "MyATS" section to threads that a member posts to go directly to the first submission a poster has made in a thread rather than the first page of the thread.

MyATS offers a choice here, assuming you mean "subscribed threads".
If you click on the thread title, you should get the first page.
If you click on the username on the right of the title, you get the most recent post.

Also, while I know I've had quite a few replies to my submissions, I don't think any of them have ever shown up in the "Replies" section of "MyATS" or that icon doesn't work or perhaps I'm misreading the purpose of that area on the page.

Hmm. That always works for me. That is, if somone clicks on the "reply" or "quote" box on one of my posts.
Possibly if you've already been back to that page, the software may deem that you've already seen the reply and don't need to see it again.
Or are you expecting it to show people who respond to threads you started? That will only happen if they clicked on the "reply" icon of your specific post, not if they click on the "reply" box at the top or bottom of the page.

edit on 3-1-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Thanks Disraeli, I also just found out, probably again, how to star and flag a submission here so I flagged that thread, didn't post anything, but nothing shows up on the MyATS page as it being subscribed or anything else. I always thought you were automatically subscribed to threads you post to and those threads do show up on the right hand side of my MyATS page.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the train of thought going on here.

Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
S&F OP. I agree completely.

Also,

Personally I've always thought the Mods did a pretty excellent job of cracking down on rude or abusive behaviour.

Well, I may be going out on a limb here, but I think it depends on which mods, which threads, which forums, and what topics are being discussed, because some of them get far more moderator attention than others. And I know from personal experience that rude behavior on ATS is not always moderated properly (I'm not blaming the mods, of course, they have a lot to do managing the site).

Its the PEOPLE'S fault, not the mods.

I had a thread a while back get WAY out of hand, and almost everyone contributing was crossing a lot of low-blowing lines (myself included, after a while, but I had every right to retaliate harshly after the things that were said to me).

I had to personally alert a moderator to close the thread, because it was way out of hand.

Point being, the only thing we can do is call the bullies out on their bs, just like anywhere else on the internet, or in any real life situation. Manage them with a little psychology, and they become putty in your hands. That's the way I learned, anyway, because aggressive retaliation usually isn't treated well on ATS.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

being relatively new to ATS compared to others who have been around for 5 years or more (i'm new to the posting stuff but been reading the topics logged off for quite some years though) i'd say the mods here do quite well.. and that's a compliment really.. bullying to me is also this

sled735
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Bullying is, IMO, when another member puts down the opinion of someone else in an insulting manner.
Take your pick of any thread on ATS. They're in all of them, it seems.

and more, more twisting and misunderstanding the other's opinions making them look or feel very bad or depressing that you don't want to participate anymore, and i've seen a lot worse in other sites where a hapless poster is suddenly ganged up by people who weren't even there at the beginning of the argument.. it's merciless and brutal..

here though, i see less of that thankfully.. the worst i've seen is my post getting ignored.. hahaha that's a downer in some ways.. i mean i want to participate in the discussion too but if nobody takes notice it's pointless.. haha but being relatively new i guess i can understand that..

edit on 312014012014America/Chicago723 by tomoe723 because: new word added

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Much of bullying is perfected in the workplace and educational system. Watch the video to find out more.

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join