It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC News And New York Times Spread False Propaganda At Request Of CIA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
The writer of this news story has a very valid point. It is one thing to hold back on intelligence they have discovered, but it is another to report out false propaganda at the governments request. And this also brings me to ask, just what other news are we hearing that is totally false? And does this perhaps destroy all credibility for ABC and the NYT?

Is this the direction that our once great country should be heading? Boo hiss to both of them for contributing to the downward spiraling of the principles that our country was built on. If you can't tell the truth, then keep your trap shut.

TEHRAN (FNA)- ABC News and The New York Times have known since 2007 that Robert Levinson, the ex-FBI agent who was kidnapped in Iran, was not, as the U.S. government and his family claimed, an independent businessman: He was working for the CIA.

At the request of the government and Levinson’s family, however, both outlets repeatedly stated, without any caveats, that Levinson was on a “business trip” when he was captured. A review of their coverage indicates that ABC News did so at least 7 times, and the Times at least 3 times, a report by gawker.com said.

It’s one thing for a news outlet to keep secrets at the request of the government, or in order to keep someone safe. It’s another thing to affirmatively and knowingly spread lies. And this isn’t the first time the Times has knowingly repeated false information at the request of the CIA. The paper was criticized in 2011 after it revealed that it had known that Ray Davis, an American accused of murder in Pakistan, had been a CIA contractor, even as it repeated false statements from Barack Obama claiming he was a diplomat.

ABC, NYT Repeatedly Lied About CIA Operative Robert Levinson

edit on 2-1-2014 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Your title is very misleading, where is the propaganda?

I believe the press should be honest and print the truth, however in this case it is more than obvious why they did not publish this guy was a CIA contractor, I find it far more scandalous that the US government has done so little to get him home

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

PrinceDreamer
Your title is very misleading, where is the propaganda?

I believe the press should be honest and print the truth, however in this case it is more than obvious why they did not publish this guy was a CIA contractor, I find it far more scandalous that the US government has done so little to get him home

Not misleading, since the false propaganda is obvious. They didn't need to lie at the governments request. All they had to do was not mention that he was a businessman. "So and so went to Iran etc..." Or they could just keep their trap shut.

I really do not think that it is appropriate for news agencies to lie to us. This makes them a branch of the government if you ask me. If I wanted to read nothing but lies I would move to North Korea.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

IIRC this was a major concern in the not too distant past. Somewhat of a legal call was made about the US using propaganda as a tool ... on its own citizens.

ETA: Here we go LINKY. Ties in to the NDAA.
edit on 212014 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by elouina

IIRC this was a major concern in the not too distant past. Somewhat of a legal call was made about the US using propaganda as a tool ... on its own citizens.

ETA: Here we go LINKY. Ties in to the NDAA.
edit on 212014 by Snarl because: ETA

From the article of your linky thing

That means that the pamphlets, films, magazines and radio programs the United States beams into Cuba and other countries to convince them of US superiority, will now become an avenue of media and entertainment inside the United States. An important question to ask is: why does the United States government think it needs to disseminate propaganda among its own citizens?

As public opinion continues to rebel against the systems of domestic and international surveillance, an operational domestic propaganda machine would become an important asset in pacifying the public in case of any more Snowden-esque revelations. Ask yourself: would a government truly encouraging free speech and the open ability for all people to criticize their government really need to to pump their citizens full of propaganda?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Did the Iranians KNOW he was CIA or did they SUSPECT he was CIA?

I can actually approve of the media lying if it was to potentially save the guys life but at the same time I wish the Iranians had of strung him up.

edit on 2/1/2014 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   

IkNOwSTuff
Did the Iranians KNOW he was CIA or did they SUSPECT he was CIA?

I can actually approve of the media lying if it was to potentially save the guys life but at the same time I wish the Iranians had of strung him up.

edit on 2/1/2014 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

Sounds to me that EVERYONE knew he was a spy except for the US citizens. Keep us in the dark so we don't know what our government is up to. Deja vue, what other spying branch of the government lied to us?

And what good did the lying do anyways? Our government made no effort to get our little "innocent businessman" out of jail for how many years now. So what was the lie for then?

Now for my question to you. What all will you condone the press lying to you about? What if every train wreck here and in Canada were terrorist attacks. What if every building blowing up was a terrorist attack. And the press lied to you and said they weren't. Is this acceptable? What about the military like shootout at a utility. Should that have been hidden from us also? (It was.) What if there is a takeover of our government by the communists, but it is hidden from us? Where do the lies stop?
edit on 2-1-2014 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   

elouina
If I wanted to read nothing but lies I would move to North Korea.

What makes you think your not already reading "nothing but lies"?

Throw your TV out and stop buying news papers, after a few months without them you'll realise just how much influence they've had over you!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

VoidHawk
Throw your TV out and stop buying news papers, after a few months without them you'll realise just how much influence they've had over you!

The paper holds their folded faces to the floor, and everyday the paperboy brings more.

See you on The Dark Side of the Moon, brother.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Snarl

VoidHawk

The paper holds their folded faces to the floor, and everyday the paperboy brings more.

See you on The Dark Side of the Moon, brother.

Spent many hours of my youth Iistening to them and I never spotted that. Thanks Snarl.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   

VoidHawk

elouina

this is correct....we get spoon fed lies and more lies.....

a little off topic but many years ago when i was a young fella,a bunch of went to the movies to watch "time cop" when van damme was still watch able anyhow 1 of the boys got into an arguement with a group of homeboys ...he was a big lad and decided to take em on in the back area behind the cinemas,as we all ran out he had the biggest one of these punks in a major beat down,when we got out these these thugs freaked out and ran off

it turns out he had been stabbed four times in the back but had not realised....so we rushed him to hospitol.....the story in the newspaper was gold.....it told a story of two gangs in a brawl that ended up going all night,chases through the city the whole works....it was an impressive read but very far from the truth...even back then the media was all sensationalism ....today its far worse with some serious agendas in place for an unsuspecting populace to ingest

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed

VoidHawk

elouina

this is correct....we get spoon fed lies and more lies.....

a little off topic but many years ago when i was a young fella,a bunch of went to the movies to watch "time cop" when van damme was still watch able anyhow 1 of the boys got into an arguement with a group of homeboys ...he was a big lad and decided to take em on in the back area behind the cinemas,as we all ran out he had the biggest one of these punks in a major beat down,when we got out these these thugs freaked out and ran off

it turns out he had been stabbed four times in the back but had not realised....so we rushed him to hospitol.....the story in the newspaper was gold.....it told a story of two gangs in a brawl that ended up going all night,chases through the city the whole works....it was an impressive read but very far from the truth...even back then the media was all sensationalism ....today its far worse with some serious agendas in place for an unsuspecting populace to ingest

LOL Thats why I made the comment, its all BS, but its BS that has an effect, even on those who are awake!
I sincerely believe the biggest enemy we have is the television. The average person now spends 7 hours per day staring at it. By the time we reach the age of 24 we've spent one quarter of our lives watching lies! and those lies are spewed out in a way that is designed to influence our thought process. Anyone who thinks that is harmless must already have fried their brain.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   

VoidHawk

elouina

Actually I get my news from neither since I don't read newspapers or watch TV. In fact, I watched TV for the first time in months over Xmas. Of course it was the Hallmark Channel. What is life without some warm fuzzy, feel good, Xmas movies?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
If you work for the CIA, isn't the job detail to be working undercover?
Are these CIA employees the only examples you have to prove this ?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Its actually nothing new.

We all know about Operation Mockingbird.

That was the CIA, but under Bush, it was done openly through the administration and like everything else, continued under Obama.

Instead of calling it government/media propaganda, they called it Prepackaged TV News.

To a viewer, each report looked like any other 90-second segment on the local news. In fact, the federal government produced all three. The report from Kansas City was made by the State Department. The "reporter" covering airport safety was actually a public relations professional working under a false name for the Transportation Security Administration. The farming segment was done by the Agriculture Department's office of communications.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Sometimes I am just sure that stories like this get out, are let out, to make us think some in the media are still questioning, looking out for and exposing any sort of propaganda feed from anywhere. You know, that the questioned media outlets wouldn't dare be a tool with all the watchdogs patrolling the watchtower.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

violet
If you work for the CIA, isn't the job detail to be working undercover?
Are these CIA employees the only examples you have to prove this ?

Very few people employed by the CIA have such a job description. They ALL collect, but it's only the best ones who produce quality product. Not everyone doing work for the CIA is 'on the payroll.'

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Guess you all need to get up to speed here....

Late last Friday, Buzzfeed reporter and Rolling Stone contributor Michael Hastings broke what looked like a big scoop: Congress was quietly planning to lift a 64-year-old law preventing the US government from using propaganda on its own citizenry. Before the House passed its defense budget bill Friday afternoon, Hastings reported, a bipartisan group of congressmen tacked on an amendment that would "essentially neutralize" a set of time-tested guidelines "that had been passed to protect U.S. audiences from our own government's misinformation campaigns."

Source

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

He was a usa spy captured in a hostile land..

you want then to report this?

Your contradicting yourself.. they cant lie but at the same time they cant tell the truth.. you want then to simply say 'man caught in iran.. no comment'

im against the usa and its power over media but cmon... this is an exceptional case you dont play the truth card on.

top topics

join