It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MAJOR M9.9 Solar Flare January 1, 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Doubt this would be anything threatening to our planet even though it is Earth directed and a M9.9. Still might be great in a few days for viewing northern lights (Aurora Borealis). Happy New Year ATS!

A major M9.9 Solar Flare was reported at 18:52 UTC yesterday around active region 11936. The eruption occurred while the active region was in an earth facing position which suggests the resulting Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) will have an earth directed component. Solar imagery from both M6.4 and M9.9 flares show faint coronal mass ejections but as yet no update from space agencies. Information will be updated once further solar imagery has been made available. Eastern limb has a very complex active region turning the disk 11944, this region looks to have a configuration and complexity that could produce large flares for the coming week.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Wow, 9.9! Isn't that an ELE size? I hope it's not facing our way.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

No it is not an ELE flare.. it is not that strong of one really. They get much bigger like the X 2.3 we had in October. Here is a quote about the largest we have recorded.

"Although the exact number is still debated it was made official that it was the strongest solar flare ever recorded in history and general consensus at the time was to classify it as X28+.

This flare was later upgraded to anywhere above X40, thus the well deserved name it still carries is the "X-Whatever" solar flare."
edit on 1/1/2014 by Azdraik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

It was Earth facing, but no way close to a ELE, lol. Like the OP stated might be good for some light shows but thats about all.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Why is this even a post? Sorry to be snarky but honey boo boo and Miley do more damage to earth then this ever could.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

whoshotJR
Why is this even a post? Sorry to be snarky but honey boo boo and Miley do more damage to earth then this ever could.

Not everything on these boards needs to be full of doom.

S&F for OP. Keeping my eyes peeled for the light show.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

It's not a doom and gloom post mr snarky. Did you even read the OP?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Seems it is earth directed!

WIll anyone dispute that? Are there any earth effects expected, if so, what?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

proob4

It's not a doom and gloom post mr snarky. Did you even read the OP?

I did read it. I also read the misleading title of the "major" cme.

I hope we do get a good show....

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

It is the title of the youtube video, not mine. And the title is a solar flare not CME.I would consider it major at a M9.9 vs a 1.0 being a minor. Apparently you lack reading aprehension. Seriously do you have anything better to do than troll?
edit on 1/2/14 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
So, something happened at the sun which happens all the time and we won't feel a thing...
if it's not doom, it's not interesting, anymore.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr1Akula

No but if you looked at the thread for what it was meant for you might enjoy a nice light show. Instead you post a condesending reply for no reason other than being an ass.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Unfortunately I'll never see the northen lights from where I am,

proob4
reply to post by Dr1Akula

.... for no reason other than being an ass.

I admit, I am not good at humor, but nevertheless you're very kind, thank you!

new topics

top topics

join