It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why titor is fake and backward time travel is impossible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Let me first say that I am versed in quantum physics, theoretical physics, and parallel universe theory...

Let second say that I am of course not 100% sure because there is no way to test

Let me third say that I think backwards time travel is possible, just not in the way titor describes it, thus making him a hoax..

Lets make a few observations:

1) According to parallel universe theory, for every change in time there are infinite parallel univeres created. This means for every nanosecond there are infinite dimensions created and for every 2 hours there are infinite dimensions created.

2)Time is arbitrary, it doesnt matter which way you go in time as far as mechanics is concerned..the equations do not break down either way

3) With above being so (100% fact), every time you go forward in time, there are infinite parallel universes created. This, every time you go back in time there are infinite parallel universes created...

with this being so, as titor went forward in time he was in infinite paralell universes. When he goes back in time, he therefore goes to a paralell universe that did not exist until he arrived....(sounds like the schrodinger cat...except a cat is not in either box)....

thus making him a hoax...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
How can anyone know or how you can prove that it a hoax or not. I always believe that time was created to measure credit. eg.. bank loans.

Are we going back in time or forward?

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Let second say that I am of course not 100% sure because there is no way to test

This is the beauty of time travel One can NOT prove it's impossible because one can't prove it's possible. Just another universal mystery to be revealed in the "hereafter".

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The only thing that can travel through time is your past. Because the past always catches up with you.

At least for now anyway.

My reasoning for the John Titor story being a hoax is similar to sre2f's but much simpler.

Titor states that he has both travelled backwards through time and hopped into a parrallell universe.

His reasoning for this is that there is only a 1 to 2 percent difference between our realities and that when he travels forward through time he will be traveling forward to yet another different but oh so similar reality (Haven't read it in a while so if I'm incorrect on the traveling forward thing please correct me) so basically accomplishing nothing in his reality.

Fixing one does not fix the other.

Also his math is really off. Let's say you plot a course from your house to the mall without knowing the area and let's say you miss the mall by 1 to 2 percent of your projected arrival coordinates, no big deal your maybe half a block away.

Now plot a course from the earth to pluto, if your two percent off, well you could be in serious deep scoopers.

now let's talk about differences in realities AN ENTIRE UNIVERSE.

A 1 to 2 percent difference in realities could mean the difference between sentient life and primordial sludge.

A 1 or 2 percent difference in universes is massive.

Denny Krane I mean Spiderj

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj
The only thing that can travel through time is your past. Because the past always catches up with you.

At least for now anyway.

My reasoning for the John Titor story being a hoax is similar to sre2f's but much simpler.

Titor states that he has both travelled backwards through time and hopped into a parrallell universe.

His reasoning for this is that there is only a 1 to 2 percent difference between our realities and that when he travels forward through time he will be traveling forward to yet another different but oh so similar reality (Haven't read it in a while so if I'm incorrect on the traveling forward thing please correct me) so basically accomplishing nothing in his reality.

Fixing one does not fix the other.

Also his math is really off. Let's say you plot a course from your house to the mall without knowing the area and let's say you miss the mall by 1 to 2 percent of your projected arrival coordinates, no big deal your maybe half a block away.

Now plot a course from the earth to pluto, if your two percent off, well you could be in serious deep scoopers.

now let's talk about differences in realities AN ENTIRE UNIVERSE.

A 1 to 2 percent difference in realities could mean the difference between sentient life and primordial sludge.

A 1 or 2 percent difference in universes is massive.

Denny Krane I mean Spiderj

Good argument. Together, I think our reasoning almost make its 100% suredly fake.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Hi,

I have heard that Time travel is possible but not on a planet ...
If you travel in time it is said that you stay at the same place but the time increase or decrease ... the problem is that the Earth is Moving , it is turning on itself and orbiting the sun at the same time and the sun is moving in the Milky way and the milky way is moving in the universe... so if you travel in time right now from where you are you will appear in space ... you will be at the same place but the earth will have moved ...

sorry for my english ..i'd do my best

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Titor aside...time travel, both forward and backward is a possibility.

In fact, I don't know if you have ever realized this, but every human being is essentially living in the past. Every sense that you have...touch, smell, sight, etc. are the products of a "past" world. When you look at something, even if it is merely 20 feet from where you are standing it takes the light billionth's of a second to bounce off of said object and into your eyes meaning that even if its only "billionth's of a second" its still billionth's of a second in the past. It does not stop there either...everytime you hear something, that particular sound can only travel at the speed of sound meaning that when you hear something even if it is very close to you your brain processes the information after it has initially taken place. Touch is another example...you touch anything and it takes a certain period of time for the information to travel from the nerve endings on your skin to your brain. Essentially the entire world around an observer is one they are seeing in the past.

So, not even humans are actually in the "present" because the world around us effects our sense of time. When humans ourselves cannot even prove that we are "living in the present" how are we to know if time travel or even FTL time travel is possible? If you want to discuss the physics of time travel I'm all up for it, but thats for another thread.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
kryptikcreations hit the nail on the head.

First - the earth is rotating 24/hr per day and orbiting the sun ~365 days/year. Then we have the fact that the solar system is orbiting in the Milky Way at a velocity of about 155 miles/sec (250 km/sec). We are in the Local Group of Galaxies and the Milky Way is moving about 300 km/sec (nearly the speed of light!!) towards the constellation Virgo. The Milky Way Galaxy is moving in concert with the other galaxies in the Local Group - the Local Group is defined as those nearby galaxies that are moving in concert with each other, independent of the "Hubble flow" expansion. I'm not even confident we can accurately pin down those orbits since we have the recent little (big) issue of the Pioneer probes being off ever so slightly from their calculated positions.

Some updated data. Not a very accurate measurement and these guys are using the best tools available:

"Our new figure of 226 million years [time for solar systems to orbit the Galaxy] is accurate to within 6 percent," Mark Reid, a Harvard-Smithsonian astronomer and leader of the team that made the measurements, said in a statement. Reid and his team made the measurement using the Very Long Baseline Array, a system of 10 large radio-telescope antennae placed 5,000 miles across the United States, from the U.S. Virgin Islands to Hawaii.

As an aside, these data which people often forget about makes alien visitations a bit iffy. Within our galaxy is possible at close to the speed of light but between galaxies would be tough as we are all moving away from each other at a massive rate and would mean that superluminal travel would be necessary and even then, the positioning would be interesting as you would have to aim for a point where your destination WILL be....

Therefore, any time travel device would have to have some nifty inertial navigation that takes all of these movements into account or would have to rely on using pulsars or other cosmic sources to detect position during the time displacement. Titor's device supposedly checked position moving back in time but the calculations are not trivial, especially in real time and he even said early tests left the vehicle in the air - heck the damn thing would be off in deep space somewhere not just up in the air. Then we have to consider any changes to the whole system. A strong solar flare/CME could move the earth a minuscule amount in our orbit, which would throw the whole thing off if you were using inertial navigation and orbital calculations.

Then we have the biology aspect. All of our little bugs mutate over time and any traveler from any significant time difference would be totally exposed and open for infections and disease. Since we are moving forward our bodies adapt slowly with the mutations but the diseases from the distant past (or future) would be so different as to be a major threat and would require a sealed pressure suits or fancy drugs/vaccinations to ward off illness. He should have had the biggest case of Montezumatitor's revenge with his first drink of water and a pin prick probably would have killed him....

[edit on 20-11-2004 by UofCinLA]

top topics

join